Transfemoral Prosthesis: Artificial limb that replaces the leg above the knee
- Artificial limb can be defined as a type of prosthesis which is used to replace missing extremities of legs or arms. Artificial limbs are of four types: transradial, transtibial, transfemoral, and transhumeral prosthesis.
- Transfemoral prosthesis can be defined as an artificial limb which replaces the amputated leg above the knee. Patients with transfemoral prosthesis need to apply over 80% more energy to walk than a normal person.
- Transfemoral prosthesis includes a socket which attaches to the residual limb, shank, prosthetic knee, and foot-ankle assembly
To Know More about TMRs Unique Offerings for Transfemoral Prosthesis Market, Request a Brochure here
Key Drivers and Restraints of Global Transfemoral Prosthesis Market
- Significant technological advances in the development of transfemoral prosthesis through the usage of newer plastics and other materials such as carbon fiber make these lighter and stronger, thereby reducing the extra energy needed to operate the limb. Moreover, advances in technology enable development of life-like prosthesis using silicon or PVC. This boosts the growth of the global transfemoral prosthesis market.
- Increase in the target population requiring transfemoral prostheses is a major driver of the global transfemoral prosthesis market. According to the CDC, over 1.8 million people in the U.S. were living without a limb in 2016, of which over 19% were transfemoral amputees. Furthermore, the population living without a limb is expected to reach over 4 million by 2050.
- Rise in prevalence of diabetes and vascular diseases among the geriatric population, which is a leading factor for increase in amputations, contributes to the growth of the market. For instance, over 80% of the amputations were performed in patients with peripheral vascular disease and diabetes.
- Mind-controlled humonics solutions is the new focus of research & development in the prosthetics field. Humonics, a later stage of bionics, aims to address unmet needs of human-like aesthetics, including gestures, volitional control, and lost sensation. Extensive research in the field of artificial intelligence aimed at creating higher quality of life for amputees is likely to result in the development of technologically advanced products. This is projected to drive the transfemoral prostheses market during the forecast period.
- The cost of prosthetic limbs reflects technological innovations utilized. However, several amputees cannot afford a prosthetic limb owing to low disposable income. High cost of the devices due to lack of mass production because of patient specificity is anticipated to hamper the growth of the market.
- Additionally, the changing reimbursement scenario leading to reimbursement cuts for prostheses is expected to hamper the growth of the market. The Affordable Care Act has established provisions related to Essential Health Benefits (EHBs). In order to be certified in the marketplace, insurance policies need to offer coverage for Essential Health Benefits (EHBs). If a benefit is deemed an EHB, it cannot be subject to caps. However, several states do not explicitly take into account prosthetic devices in the EHBs, which can adversely affect the market.
Asia Pacific Market to Grow at Significant Pace
- In terms of region, the global transfemoral prosthesis market can be segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa. In terms of revenue, North America is projected to dominate the global transfemoral prosthesis market during the forecast period. This can be attributed to the high number of amputations and large number of patients suffering from vascular diseases in the region. North America is also home to several key players such as Steeper, Inc. and Ohio Willow Wood Company. This is likely to boost the market in the region during the forecast period.
- The market in Asia Pacific is anticipated to grow at a high CAGR during the forecast period. This can be attributed to increase in the geriatric population and rise in incidence of motor accidents and injuries. According to the WHO, in China, around 35.4% of adults are overweight, 7.3% are obese, and 23.8% are physically inactive. A rising number of overweight adults is likely to develop chronic diseases (such as diabetes and peripheral artery diseases) in the near future, which is projected to drive the market in the country in the next few years.
Looking for Customized Insights to build your Business for Future, Ask for a Custom Report here
Key Players Operating in Global Market
The global transfemoral prosthesis market is highly fragmented, with each manufacturer accounting for no more than 4% to 5% share. Key players operating in the global market are:
- Össur hf
- Ottobock SE & Co. KGaA
- Dycor Technologies, Inc.
- PROTEOR Group
- Blatchford Group
- Fillauer LLC
- WillowWood Global LLC
- Streifeneder ortho.production GmbH
- Roadrunnerfoot Engineering SRL
- Steeper, Inc.
Global Transfemoral Prosthesis Market: Research Scope
Global Transfemoral Prosthesis Market, by Product Type
Global Transfemoral Prosthesis Market, by Patient Type
Global Transfemoral Prosthesis Market, by End-user
- Ambulatory Surgical Centers
- Orthopedic Clinics
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The regional analysis covers:
- North America (U.S. and Canada)
- Latin America (Mexico, Brazil, Peru, Chile, and others)
- Western Europe (Germany, U.K., France, Spain, Italy, Nordic countries, Belgium, Netherlands, and Luxembourg)
- Eastern Europe (Poland and Russia)
- Asia Pacific (China, India, Japan, ASEAN, Australia, and New Zealand)
- Middle East and Africa (GCC, Southern Africa, and North Africa)
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.