Transfemoral Prosthesis: Artificial limb that replaces the leg above the knee
- Artificial limb can be defined as a type of prosthesis which is used to replace missing extremities of legs or arms. Artificial limbs are of four types: transradial, transtibial, transfemoral, and transhumeral prosthesis.
- Transfemoral prosthesis can be defined as an artificial limb which replaces the amputated leg above the knee. Patients with transfemoral prosthesis need to apply over 80% more energy to walk than a normal person.
- Transfemoral prosthesis includes a socket which attaches to the residual limb, shank, prosthetic knee, and foot-ankle assembly
To Know More about TMRs Unique Offerings for Transfemoral Prosthesis Market, Request a Brochure here
Key Drivers and Restraints of Global Transfemoral Prosthesis Market
- Significant technological advances in the development of transfemoral prosthesis through the usage of newer plastics and other materials such as carbon fiber make these lighter and stronger, thereby reducing the extra energy needed to operate the limb. Moreover, advances in technology enable development of life-like prosthesis using silicon or PVC. This boosts the growth of the global transfemoral prosthesis market.
- Increase in the target population requiring transfemoral prostheses is a major driver of the global transfemoral prosthesis market. According to the CDC, over 1.8 million people in the U.S. were living without a limb in 2016, of which over 19% were transfemoral amputees. Furthermore, the population living without a limb is expected to reach over 4 million by 2050.
- Rise in prevalence of diabetes and vascular diseases among the geriatric population, which is a leading factor for increase in amputations, contributes to the growth of the market. For instance, over 80% of the amputations were performed in patients with peripheral vascular disease and diabetes.
- Mind-controlled humonics solutions is the new focus of research & development in the prosthetics field. Humonics, a later stage of bionics, aims to address unmet needs of human-like aesthetics, including gestures, volitional control, and lost sensation. Extensive research in the field of artificial intelligence aimed at creating higher quality of life for amputees is likely to result in the development of technologically advanced products. This is projected to drive the transfemoral prostheses market during the forecast period.
- The cost of prosthetic limbs reflects technological innovations utilized. However, several amputees cannot afford a prosthetic limb owing to low disposable income. High cost of the devices due to lack of mass production because of patient specificity is anticipated to hamper the growth of the market.
- Additionally, the changing reimbursement scenario leading to reimbursement cuts for prostheses is expected to hamper the growth of the market. The Affordable Care Act has established provisions related to Essential Health Benefits (EHBs). In order to be certified in the marketplace, insurance policies need to offer coverage for Essential Health Benefits (EHBs). If a benefit is deemed an EHB, it cannot be subject to caps. However, several states do not explicitly take into account prosthetic devices in the EHBs, which can adversely affect the market.
Asia Pacific Market to Grow at Significant Pace
- In terms of region, the global transfemoral prosthesis market can be segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa. In terms of revenue, North America is projected to dominate the global transfemoral prosthesis market during the forecast period. This can be attributed to the high number of amputations and large number of patients suffering from vascular diseases in the region. North America is also home to several key players such as Steeper, Inc. and Ohio Willow Wood Company. This is likely to boost the market in the region during the forecast period.
- The market in Asia Pacific is anticipated to grow at a high CAGR during the forecast period. This can be attributed to increase in the geriatric population and rise in incidence of motor accidents and injuries. According to the WHO, in China, around 35.4% of adults are overweight, 7.3% are obese, and 23.8% are physically inactive. A rising number of overweight adults is likely to develop chronic diseases (such as diabetes and peripheral artery diseases) in the near future, which is projected to drive the market in the country in the next few years.
Looking for Customized Insights to build your Business for Future, Ask for a Custom Report here
Key Players Operating in Global Market
The global transfemoral prosthesis market is highly fragmented, with each manufacturer accounting for no more than 4% to 5% share. Key players operating in the global market are:
- Össur hf
- Ottobock SE & Co. KGaA
- Dycor Technologies, Inc.
- PROTEOR Group
- Blatchford Group
- Fillauer LLC
- WillowWood Global LLC
- Streifeneder ortho.production GmbH
- Roadrunnerfoot Engineering SRL
- Steeper, Inc.
Global Transfemoral Prosthesis Market: Research Scope
Global Transfemoral Prosthesis Market, by Product Type
Global Transfemoral Prosthesis Market, by Patient Type
Global Transfemoral Prosthesis Market, by End-user
- Ambulatory Surgical Centers
- Orthopedic Clinics
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.