Adoption of Home Dialysis to Create Demand for Peritoneal Dialysis Catheters
- Peritoneal dialysis, which can be effectively performed at home, work, and during travel, uses abdomen lining known as peritoneum and a dialysate for cleaning blood. Dialysate absorbs waste and fluids from the blood using peritoneum as a filter. This process is more advantageous than other common blood filters such as hemodialysis.
- Peritoneal dialysis catheter is a flexible plastic tube that is placed inside the abdomen and chest for the dialysis fluid (dialysate) to enter into the abdominal cavity, purify the toxins present in the blood in the abdomen and organ lining, and drain out the dialysate again. The peritoneal catheter is inserted using various techniques. However, the most commonly used techniques are percutaneous and laparoscopic.
Key Drivers and Restraints of Global Peritoneal Dialysis Catheter Market
- High prevalence of diabetes resulting in increased incidences of end-stage renal disease (ESRD) is a major factor driving the global peritoneal dialysis catheter market. Diabetes accounts for approximately 30% – 40% of the total cases of ESRD. Consistent rise in the number of patients suffering from ESRD worldwide at a rate of 5% –7% annually has resulted in increased use of peritoneal dialysis, thus driving the demand for peritoneal dialysis catheter. Moreover, growing prevalence of diabetes globally is expected to lead to higher incidences of ESRD. This factor is expected to propel the growth of the peritoneal dialysis catheter market.
- Rise in geriatric population, favorable government policies, increase in the number of dialysis centers, consistent technological advancements, and awareness about peritoneal procedures are favoring market growth.
- Few countries across the Asia Pacific region offers reimbursement policies for dialysis procedures to patients suffering from chronic kidney diseases (CKDs). For instance, the Government of Korea provides 90% reimbursement of the total dialysis costs incurred. The Government of Japan offers 100% reimbursement to patients for dialysis procedures. Favorable reimbursement schemes in various countries for patients undergoing dialysis are driving the dialysis products and services market.
- As per the World Population Prospects, the number of people aged 80 years and above is likely to triple from 143 million in 2019 to 426 million by 2050.
To Know More about TMRs Unique Offerings for Peritoneal Dialysis Catheters Market, Request a Brochure here
Percutaneous Technique a Highly Advanced Procedure
- Percutaneous is an advanced, minimal invasive technique that renders the ease of inserting the catheter for peritoneal dialysis. It is widely preferred by nephrologists and surgeons. Thus, successful implantation of the dialysis catheter is a major focus for an effective peritoneal dialysis process.
- Percutaneous technique is simple and safe, and offers less morbidity while bowel perforation. It also minimizes catheter related infections and other side effects.
Use of Automated Peritoneal Dialysis Procedure to Grow in Future
- Automated peritoneal dialysis is an advanced type of peritoneal dialysis with consistent modifications. Automated peritoneal dialysis offers advantages over continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis such as lower incidences of peritonitis, better small solute clearances, and reduced incidences of hernia. All these factors are anticipated to support the growth of the automated peritoneal dialysis segment in the near future.
- Continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis (CAPD) is a standard peritoneal dialysis process and is portable than other forms of dialysis methods. This method has various advantages over hemodialysis, as it offers easy control over extra fluid and reduces stress on heart and blood vessels. This process utilizes manual bags encompassing peritoneal dialysis fluid and is more convenient as compared to other processes. Hence, these factors are expected to contribute to the growth of the continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis type.
Asia Pacific to Lead the Global Peritoneal Dialysis Catheter Market
- The global peritoneal dialysis catheter market can be divided into: North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- Asia Pacific is likely to be the most lucrative market for peritoneal dialysis catheter due to rise in patient pool in the region, increase in awareness, and supportive reimbursement policies. Rise in prevalence of CKD and diabetes is a major factor contributing to the demand for dialysis. As per articles published by BMC Nephrology in 2018, out of 10, 1 to 4 people are estimated to suffer from CKDs in South India. The prevalence of chronic kidney diseases in India is estimated to be 10.2%, it is reported to be 21.2% in Pakistan, and in Bangladesh, it is estimated to be 17.3%. Moreover, as per the Global Burden of Disease (GBD) report, deaths due to chronic kidney diseases have almost doubled in the past 20 years. Thus, increase in demand for peritoneal dialysis from patients suffering from chronic kidney diseases is expected to drive the peritoneal dialysis catheter market in the Asia Pacific region during the forecast period.
- Strong distribution network and increase in the number of dialysis centers in the region are likely to augment market growth in the region.
Looking for Customized Insights to build your Business for Future, Ask for a Custom Report here
Key Manufacturers Operating in Global Market
The global peritoneal dialysis catheters market was highly fragmented in 2018. Key manufacturers operating in the global market are:
- Merit Medical Systems
- DaVita Healthcare Partners, Inc.
- Medical Components, Inc.
- Fresenius Medical Care AG & Co. KGaA
- Braun Melsungen AG
- Becton, Dickinson and Company(BD)
- Other Prominent Players
Global Peritoneal Dialysis Catheters Market: Research Scope
Global Peritoneal Dialysis Catheters Market, by Peritoneal Dialysis Type
- Continuous Ambulatory Peritoneal Dialysis (CAPD)
- Automated Peritoneal Dialysis (APD)
Global Peritoneal Dialysis Catheters Market, by Technology
- Surgical Placement
- Percutaneous Technique
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The regional analysis covers:
- North America (U.S. and Canada)
- Latin America (Mexico, Brazil, Peru, Chile, and others)
- Western Europe (Germany, U.K., France, Spain, Italy, Nordic countries, Belgium, Netherlands, and Luxembourg)
- Eastern Europe (Poland and Russia)
- Asia Pacific (China, India, Japan, ASEAN, Australia, and New Zealand)
- Middle East and Africa (GCC, Southern Africa, and North Africa)
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.