Heavy-ion Radiotherapy Systems Market: Introduction
- Radiotherapy is used for the treatment of cancer. Currently, more than 50% of patients suffering from cancer are prescribed radiotherapy. Radiotherapy kills the cancer cells or slows down progression of the disease by using high-energy rays such as X-rays. Heavy-ion radiotherapy uses carbon ions that are accelerated at a speed of approximately 70% of that of light, before attacking the body tumor. Carbon ions are usually used due to their selective irradiation property and effectiveness in killing the tumor cells. Heavy-ion radiotherapy offers numerous advantages over conventional radiotherapy. These include painless therapy, short duration of treatment, suitability for application on X-ray-resistant tumors, and good tolerance observed in geriatric patients. Furthermore, in heavy-ion radiotherapy, a high dose of beams can be bombarded on the cancer cells, maintaining a lower dose of beams on the adjacent delicate organs such as the spinal cord and the skull. This makes heavy-ion radiotherapy suitable for application on deeply placed cancer cells and tumors close to vital tissues.
- Heavy-ion radiotherapy systems consist of two parts; patient-handling system and tracking irradiation therapy system. Currently, heavy-ion radiotherapy is utilized for the treatment of prostate cancer, lung cancer, liver cancer, bone and soft tissue cancer, cerebral arteriovenous malformation, juvenile angiofibroma, and other benign tumors. The heavy-ion radiotherapy treatment is available at a very few hospitals worldwide including Heidelberg University Hospital, Germany; Gunma University, Japan; and Osaka Heavy Ion Therapy Center, Osaka, Japan.
Key Drivers, Restraints, and Opportunities of Global Heavy-ion Radiotherapy Systems Market
- The market has been witnessing vital technological advancements in the last few decades. These advancements have assisted in the development of more effective, low-cost, and easy-to-use radiotherapy products with improved and precise radiation dose delivery to provide increased efficiency in targeting tumors. Advancement from 2D to 3D conformal radiotherapy with real-time imaging has enabled high conformity of radiation to the target (with minimal exposure to normal tissue) and dose escalation with improved tumor control. Products that offer these benefits are anticipated to witness high demand in a short time span, especially in mature markets where the rate of adoption of technologically advanced products is high. Consequently, major market players are continuously focusing on the approval, development, and launch of technologically advanced products.
- In 2018, Varian Medical Systems (US) launched the ProBeam 360 single-room proton therapy system. This novel particle accelerator has a 360-degree rotating gantry along with the high-definition pencil-beam scanning technology capable of delivering efficient Intensity Modulated Proton Therapy (IMPT).
- In 2018, Hitachi Ltd. (Japan) received FDA 510(k) approval for the commercialization of its Real Time Image Gating System for Proton Beam Therapy Systems (RGPT). This would enable patients to be treated with cutting-edge motion management along with the company’s advanced Spot Scanning irradiation technology.
- In 2018, the Elekta Unity magnetic resonance radiation therapy (MR/RT) system received CE mark for commercial usage across the Europe. This integrated product would enable the delivery of radiation doses along with the simultaneous visualization of the tumor and surrounding healthy tissue with high-quality MR images.
- Increased prevalence of cancer, less-side effects associated with heavy-ion radiotherapy, and rise in the adoption of the therapy in developed countries are key factors that are expected to propel the global heavy-ion radiotherapy market during the forecast period. High costs associated with the treatment are projected to hamper the heavy-ion radiotherapy systems market in the near future. Thus, the implementation of advanced radiotherapy is anticipated to be hindered by the shortage of trained personnel and the lack of technical expertise.
Asia Pacific to Capture Major Share of Global Heavy-ion Radiotherapy Systems Market
In terms of region, the global heavy-ion radiotherapy systems market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa. Asia Pacific is expected to account for a prominent share of the global heavy-ion radiotherapy systems market during the forecast period. Technological advancements and increase in preference for heavy-ion radiotherapy systems in countries of Asia are likely to propel the heavy-ion radiotherapy systems market in the region during the forecast period. Gunma University Hospital, Japan is equipped with the world's first heavy-ion radiotherapy system for worldwide use. To date, it has treated more than 2,000 cancer patients across the globe. The heavy-ion radiotherapy systems market in North America is expected to expand at a high CAGR between 2021 and 2031. This high growth rate can be attributed to availability of heavy-ion radiotherapy systems in the U.S. and increased awareness regarding the same among people in the country.
Key Players Operating in Global Heavy-ion Radiotherapy Systems Market
The global heavy-ion radiotherapy systems market is highly fragmented, with the presence of various key players. A large number of manufacturers hold a major share in their respective regions. Major players operating in the global heavy-ion radiotherapy systems market are:
- Accuray Incorporated
- C. R. Bard, Inc.
- Hitachi, LTD.
- Iba (Ion Beam Applications Sa)
- Isoray Medical, Inc.
- Mevion Medical Systems, Inc.
- Optivus Proton Therapy, Inc.
- Panacea Medical Technologies Pvt. LTD.
- P-Cure LTD.
- Provision Healthcare, LLC.
- Sumitomo Heavy Industries, LTD
- Theragenics Corporation
- Varian Medical Systems, Inc.
- Viewray Inc.
- Hitachi, Ltd.
- Toshiba Corporation
Global Heavy-ion Radiotherapy Systems Market: Research Scope
Global Heavy-ion Radiotherapy Systems Market, by Indication
- Prostate cancer
- Lung cancer
- Bone and soft tissue tumor
Global Heavy-ion Radiotherapy Systems Market, by End-user
- Research institutes
Global Heavy-ion Radiotherapy Systems Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Australia & New Zealand
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- GCC Countries
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
With a robust experience in creating exceptional market reports, Transparency Market Research has emerged as one of the trusted market research companies among a large number of stakeholders and CXOs. Every report at Transparency Market Research goes through rigorous research activity in every aspect. The researchers at TMR keep a close watch on the market and extract beneficial growth-boosting points. These points help the stakeholders to strategize their business plans accordingly.
TMR researchers conduct exhaustive qualitative and quantitative research. This research involves taking inputs from the experts in the market, focused attention on recent developments, and others. This method of research makes TMR stand out from other market research firms.
Here's how Transparency Market Research helps the stakeholders and CXOs through the reports:
Inculcation and Evaluation of Strategic Collaborations: The TMR researchers analyze recent strategic activities like mergers, acquisitions, partnerships, collaborations, and joint ventures. All the information is compiled and included in the report.
Perfect Market Size Estimations: The report analyzes the demographics, growth potential, and capability of the market through the forecast period. This factor leads to the estimation of the market size and also provides an outline about how the market will retrieve growth during the assessment period.
Investment Research: The report focuses on the ongoing and upcoming investment opportunities across a particular market. These developments make the stakeholders aware of the current investment scenario across the market.
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.