Psoriasis Treatment Market
Psoriasis Treatment Market (Drug Class: TNF Inhibitors, Interleukin Inhibitors, Vitamin D Analogs, Corticosteroids, and Others; Route of Administration: Oral, Parenteral, and Topical; Distribution Channel: Hospital Pharmacies, Retail Pharmacies, and Others) - Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends, and Forecast, 2019 - 2027
Press Release :
Psoriasis Treatment Market: Predictive Biomarkers Offer Opportunities in Specialised Medicine
Even as healthcare, as a whole, is transitioning slowly towards value-based care for better patient outcomes and improved quality of life, increase in the prevalence of psoriasis, globally, is spurring investments toward its treatment and management methods. This has resulted in manufacturers in the psoriasis treatment market focussing on research & development for better disease management, which has led to the innovation of newer drugs that are more efficient. For instance, in April 2019, Samsung Bioepis’ - Eticovo, the second biosimilar of Etanercept, was approved by the FDA for the treatment of psoriasis in moderate to severe cases.
With biologics gradually losing their exclusivity and becoming increasingly accessible, they are expected to positively contribute to the growth of the global psoriasis treatment market. According to this study by Transparency Market Research, in 2018, the market was valued at ~US$ 13.8 Bn, and is set to hit the ~US$ 35.7 Mn by the end of the forecast period.
To understand how our report can bring difference to your business strategy, Ask for a brochure
Psoriasis Treatment Market: Personalised Medicine Gaining Popularity
As a significant aspect of value-based medicine that aims at improving the quality of care, due to advancements in technology, personalized medicine is quickly gaining traction in the psoriasis treatment market. The management of this disease, has, in recent years, moved from a one-drug-fits-all solution to a tailor-made plan, backed by newer modalities and drugs, and the increasing availability of predictive biomarkers. This is opening up opportunities for manufacturers in the psoriasis treatment market for the development of biological therapies, which is shaping the evolution of the market.
Psoriasis treatment is moving towards molecular medicine, driven by rapidly growing knowledge and understanding of the disease. This is leading to the evolution of specific biological therapies, expanding the potential of personalised medicine in psoriasis treatment.
Request a sample to get extensive insights into the Psoriasis Treatment Market
Biologics in Psoriasis Treatment
Biologics are drugs that are designed to impact only a particular part of the immune system, and are increasingly being used for the treatment and management of psoriasis. Being more effective in the treatment of moderate to severe cases of psoriasis, biologics have entirely reshaped the market. The benefits offered by biologic-based treatments for psoriasis include better control and management of the symptoms and improved quality of life for patients.
The use of biologics in psoriasis treatment has resulted in lucrative prospects for manufacturers in the market, as they compete for the development of new products to stay relevant in the landscape. For instance, in April 2019, Novartis AG, a major player in the psoriasis treatment market, launched Cosenty, the first-in-class interleukin-17A (IL-17A) inhibitor for moderate to severe plaque psoriasis. Innovation and product development continues to have a major role to play in the psoriasis treatment market.
Global Psoriasis Treatment Market: Competition Landscape
The global psoriasis treatment market is largely consolidated, with larger and established players occupying most share of the landscape, with smaller players making up the rest of the market. Globally established players such as Johnson & Johnson, AbbVie Inc., Novartis AG, Amgen Inc., and Eli Lilly and Company account for ~70% of the market. They are increasingly focusing on strategic collaborations to accelerate product innovation. For instance, in October 2018, Amgen launched AMGEVITA, the first adalimumab biosimilar for the treatment of moderate to severe treatment of the disease. In February 2019, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved TREMFYA® One-Press, a single-dose, patient-controlled injector for adults, by Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson & Johnson.
Stuck in a neck-to-neck competition with other brands? Request a custom report on “Psoriasis Treatment Market”
Analysts’ Overview of Psoriasis Treatment Market
Authors of this report on the psoriasis treatment market estimate that, the market will grow at a robust pace during the forecast period, increasing at a CAGR of ~11% over the forecast period. With the widespread adoption of personalised medicine for improved patient outcomes, players in the market are increasingly focusing on newer modalities and biosimilars. The trend of tailor-made medicine for the effective treatment of patients is expected to drive the growth of the market. With medical advancements moving at breakneck speed, players should focus on leveraging the popularity of biologics for product innovation, to meet the increasing demand from developed regional markets.
Manufacturers should also consider strategic collaborations and acquisitions to broaden their product portfolio and strengthen their presence in the global landscape.
Global Psoriasis Treatment Market: Overview
- The global psoriasis treatment market was valued at ~US$ 13.8 Bn in 2018, and is projected to expand at a CAGR of ~11% from 2019 to 2027.
- Rise in the psoriasis patient pool, approval of new biologic drugs for psoriasis, novel drugs in the pipeline, and increase in access to psoriasis treatment in developing markets are anticipated to fuel the growth of the global market.
- Psoriasis is an autoimmune noncontagious disorder characterized by rapid & excessive proliferation of the skin cells, resulting into patches of abnormal skin. Psoriasis is considered to be a long-term skin disorder that produces plaques of scaling & thickened skin. The most commonly affected areas on the body are around the scalp, knees, navel, and the back of the forearms. Psoriasis is triggered by various factors that include environmental factors and genetic deformity. It is considered a non-curable disorder; however, few treatments exists that ease the symptoms.
- Increase in the incidence of psoriasis across the globe is a major factor projected to drive the global psoriasis treatment market in the next few years. Patients are likely to develop arthritis, known as psoriatic arthritis, at a faster pace, and the number of patients with psoriatic arthritis has increased significantly in the past few years.
- According to the International Federation of Psoriasis Association, more than 125 million people were affected with psoriasis, globally, in 2015. Between 10% and 30% of patients with psoriasis tend to develop psoriatic arthritis. For instance, in the U.S., around 7.5 million people are affected with psoriasis. According to a WHO report, the prevalence of psoriasis has risen to 11.4% in 2018. Increase in the number of psoriasis patients is expected to drive the global psoriasis treatment market during the forecast period.
- Novel modalities and the availability of biomarkers are likely to offer personalized treatment for psoriasis patients. This factor is anticipated to offer growth opportunities in the market. The management of psoriasis has progressed from the use of nonspecific suppression of immunity, such as immunosuppressants, phototherapy, and retinoids, to biological therapies targeting specific cytokines involved in its pathogenesis. This has led to the introduction of personalized medicines for the further diagnosis, treatment, and monitoring of the condition.
Global Psoriasis Treatment Market: Segment Analysis
- The global psoriasis treatment market has been segmented based on drug class, route of administration, distribution channel, and region.
- In terms of drug class, the global market has been categorized into TNF inhibitors, interleukin inhibitors, vitamin D analogs, corticosteroids, and others. The interleukin inhibitors segment is projected to lead the global psoriasis treatment market during the forecast period. High market share of the interleukin inhibitors segment can be attributed to the superior efficacy and safety of drugs in this class for the treatment of psoriasis. Moreover, the acceptance of this drug class is attributable to interleukin blockers, which are considered to be a viable option for patients who have not responded to other treatments.
- Based on route of administration, the global psoriasis treatment market has been divided into oral, parenteral, and topical. The parenteral segment accounted for the largest share of the market in 2018, and the trend is expected to continue during the forecast period. Growth of the segment is attributed to the increase in the launch of new drugs to be administered through injection or intravenous (IV) infusion, and surge in the adoption of biologics for the treatment of psoriasis.
- In terms of distribution channel, the global psoriasis treatment market has been classified into hospital pharmacies, retail pharmacies, and others. The retail pharmacies segment dominated the global market in 2018, owing to the higher sales of biologics through retail pharmacies in developed countries, including the U.S. and Canada.
Global Psoriasis Treatment Market: Regional Analysis
- In terms of region, the global psoriasis treatment market has been segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and the Middle East & Africa.
- North America dominated the global market in 2018, owing to the increase in the incidence of psoriasis and favorable reimbursement policies. Moreover, the high cost of biologics in North America as compared to other regions is likely to make it a primary target for all players offering psoriasis treatment products, globally. Additionally, robust product pipeline of key players is projected to boost market growth in the region.
- The global psoriasis treatment market in Asia Pacific is anticipated to expand at a higher CAGR during the forecast period, due to an increase in the awareness about psoriasis in developing countries. Moreover, rise in the usage of biologics in China and Japan is expected to fuel the growth of the market in Asia Pacific.
- The markets in Latin America and the Middle East & Africa are likely to expand at considerable CAGRs, owing to an increase in the psoriasis patient pool and focus of manufacturers on the development of novel therapeutics.
Global Psoriasis Treatment Market: Major Players
- Key players operating in the global psoriasis treatment market include
- Amgen, Inc.
- Eli Lilly and Company
- Novartis AG
- Merck & Co., Inc.
- Johnson & Johnson
- Pfizer, Inc.
- AstraZeneca plc
- AbbVie, Inc.
- LEO Pharma A/S
- Biogen, Inc.
- These players are focused on adopting organic and inorganic growth strategies to strengthen product portfolios. These companies have adopted strategies such as collaborations & acquisitions, expansion of geographical footprint, investments in research & development, and manufacture of novel drugs in order to be competitive in the global market.
Psoriasis Treatment Market - Scope of the Report
TMR’S report on the global psoriasis treatment market studies the past as well as current growth trends and opportunities to gain valuable insights of the same indicators for the said market during the forecast period of 2019 to 2027. The report provides the overall market revenue of the global market for the period of 2017–2027, considering 2018 as the base year and 2027 as the forecast end-year. The report also provides the compound annual growth rate (CAGR) for the market for the forecast period.
The report has been prepared after extensive research. Primary research involves bulk of the research efforts, wherein, analysts carried out interviews with industry leaders and opinion makers. Extensive secondary research involves referring to key players’ product literature, annual reports, press releases, and relevant documents to understand the global psoriasis treatment market.
Secondary research also includes Internet sources, statistical data from government agencies, websites, and trade associations. Analysts have also employed a combination of the top-down and bottom-up approach to study various phenomena in the global market.
The report includes an elaborate executive summary, along with a snapshot of the growth behavior of various segments and sub-segments included in the scope of the study. Additionally, the report sheds light on the changing competitive dynamics in the global psoriasis treatment market. These indices serve as valuable tools for existing market players as well as for entities interested in participating in the market. The next section of the global psoriasis treatment report highlights the USPs, which include regulatory scenarios for psoriasis treatment, globally, psoriasis treatment pipeline analysis, and potential mergers & acquisition in the global psoriasis treatment market.
The report delves into the competitive landscape of the global psoriasis treatment market. Key players operating in the global market have been identified, and each one of these have been profiled for their distinguishing business attributes. Company overviews, financial standings, recent developments, and SWOT are some of the attributes of the players profiled in the global market report.
Key Questions Answered in Global Psoriasis Treatment Market Report
- What is the sales/revenue expected to be generated by psoriasis treatment products across all the regions during the forecast period?
- What are the key trends in the market?
- What are the major drivers, restraints, and opportunities in the market?
- Which region is set to expand at the fastest CAGR during the forecast period?
- Which segment will have the highest revenue, globally, in 2027, and which product will expand at the fastest CAGR during the forecast period?
Psoriasis Treatment Market - Research Objectives and Research Approach
The comprehensive report on the global psoriasis treatment market begins with an overview of the said market, followed by the scope and objectives of the study. Following this, the report provides detailed explanation of the objectives of this study, and the healthcare compliances laid down by accredited agencies in the purview of research. It is followed by market introduction, market dynamics, and an overview of the global market, which includes TMR’s analysis of the market drivers, restraints, and trends affecting the growth of the market. Furthermore, Y-o-Y analysis with elaborate insights have been provided to understand the Y-o-Y trends of the psoriasis treatment market. The next section of the global psoriasis treatment report highlights the USPs, which include regulatory scenarios for psoriasis treatment, globally, psoriasis treatment pipeline analysis, and key mergers & acquisitions in the global market.
For reading comprehensibility, the report has been compiled in a chapter-wise layout, with each section further divided into small sections. The entire report comprises an exhaustive collection of graphs and tables that are appropriately interspersed in the entire compilation. Pictorial representation of actual and projected values of the key segments is visually appealing to the readers. This also allows comparison of the market shares of key segments in the past and at the end of the forecast period.
Revenue generated by key psoriasis treatment market manufacturers have been mapped to ascertain the size of the global market in terms of value. The forecasts presented here assess the total revenue generated in the market. In order to provide an accurate forecast, we initiated by sizing up the current market with the help of the parent market.
Psoriasis Treatment Market - Segmentation
Route of Administration