Bartter Syndrome Treatment Market: Introduction
- Bartter syndrome is a group of genetic diseases known to cause specific defects in kidney functioning. It is caused by the alteration in one of the several genes, including SLC12A1 gene, KCNJ1 gene, CLCNKB gene, BSND gene, and MAGED2 gene. These defects affect the kidney’s salt reabsorption ability and leads to fluid and electrolyte imbalances in the body. The major electrolytes affected include mineral salts such as magnesium, chloride, sodium, potassium, and calcium.
- The three primary forms of Bartter syndrome are antenatal Bartter syndrome, classic Bartter syndrome, and Gitelman syndrome. Antenatal Bartter syndrome usually starts before birth and is a life-threatening condition. Classic Bartter syndrome usually starts after birth, leading to developmental delays affecting overall growth. Gitelman syndrome is a sub-type of Bartter syndrome which usually happens from the age of six to adulthood.
- The symptoms of the disease vary for all individuals and also vary among individuals with the same condition. However, the common symptoms include general feeling of being unwell, frequent urination, slower than normal developmental growth, severe thirst, increasing cravings for salt, cramping and muscular weakness, and constipation. The various forms of Bartter syndrome have varied manifestations depending on the underlying genetic defect, including hypocalcemia, nephrocalcinosis, and hearing loss.
Get a Glimpse of the In-Depth Analysis through our Bartter Syndrome Treatment Market Report Brochure
Key Drivers and Restraints of Global Bartter Syndrome Treatment Market
- Bartter syndrome is one of the rare diseases which can be diagnosed by prenatal testing. Over 90% of neonatal Bartter syndrome can be detected in the 26th week of pregnancy. Effective treatment of the disease at this stage increases the chances of survival of the fetus and prevents the progression of the disease to renal failure. Growing focus on genetic testing during pregnancy is projected to increase the treatment of Bartter syndrome. Additionally, identification of dominant carriers for the disease and rise in levels of genetic counselling drive demand for Bartter syndrome treatments. This in turn contributes to the growth of the global Bartter syndrome treatment market.
- Continuous investment in research & development on the diagnosis and treatment of Bartter syndrome is projected to fuel the growth of the global Bartter syndrome treatment market. High investments by key players and initiatives by governments for research & development on the treatment of Bartter syndrome are anticipated to propel the global Bartter syndrome treatment market. According to the National Organization for Rare Disorders, Inc. (NORD), Bartter syndrome is quite rare and occurs in approximately one in 100,000 people in the general population.
- However, high cost of genetic testing procedures and the lack of effective and specific treatment for Bartter syndrome is likely to have a negative impact on the growth of the global Bartter syndrome treatment market. Furthermore, the lack of awareness among people owing to its rarity of occurrence is projected to hamper the growth of the global Bartter syndrome treatment market during the forecast period.
North America to Lead Global Bartter Syndrome Treatment Market
- In terms of region, the global Bartter syndrome treatment market can be segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- North America dominated the global Bartter syndrome treatment market owing to rise in awareness among people about prenatal genetic testing, increase in the number of prenatal genetic tests performed, well-established health care infrastructure, and presence of leading players. The exact prevalence of the disease cannot be ascertained; however, the prevalence of Bartter syndrome in Costa Rica is estimated to be around 1.2 cases per 100,000 live births.
- Europe was the second largest market for Bartter syndrome treatments in 2018, followed by Asia Pacific. Asia Pacific is projected to be the fastest growing market for Bartter syndrome treatments, followed by Latin America and Middle East & Africa. Developing health care facilities, rise in awareness about the screening of this rare disease, and investments in clinical trials are anticipated to augment the Bartter syndrome treatment market in Asia Pacific. Growth of the Bartter syndrome treatment market in the region can be attributed to higher prevalence of Gitelman syndrome, a subtype of Bartter syndrome in countries in Asia compared to other countries. Additionally, the late onset of type 4 Bartter syndrome has been reported in Japan, contributing to the rise in demand for treatment of Bartter syndrome. This boosts the growth of the Bartter syndrome treatment market in the region.
Expanding Operations in Future? To Get the Perfect Launch Ask for a Custom Bartter Syndrome Treatment Market Report
Key Manufacturers Operating in Global Bartter Syndrome Treatment Market
Key players operating in the global Bartter syndrome treatment market include:
- Novartis AG
- Bristol-Myers Squibb Company
- Eli Lilly and Company
- Abbott Laboratories
Focus on establishing a strong pipeline for the treatment of Bartter syndrome can provide significant opportunities to players in the Bartter syndrome treatment market.
Global Bartter Syndrome Treatment Market: Research Scope
Global Bartter Syndrome Treatment Market, by Disease Type
- BS Type 1
- BS Type 2
- BS Type 3
- BS Type 4
- BS Type 5
Global Bartter Syndrome Treatment Market, by Treatment
- Non-steroidal Anti-inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDS)
- Potassium and Magnesium Supplements
- Aldosterone Antagonists
- Angiotensin-converting Enzyme (ACE) Inhibitors
Global Bartter Syndrome Treatment Market, by Distribution Channel
- Hospital Pharmacies
- Retail Pharmacies
Global Bartter Syndrome Treatment Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Australia & New Zealand
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- GCC Countries
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.