Pathogen Reduction System: Introduction
- Transfusion transmitted infections (TTI) are still likely to occur despite various proactive measures taken for blood safety such as stringent donor screening, introduction of new exclusion criteria post-donation tracking, and transfusion haemovigilance. The pathogen reduction system has been developed to inactivate or remove the virus, bacteria, fungus, or protozoan pathogen from blood and ensure blood safety.
- Pathogen reduction systems are based on the photochemical reaction, which inactivates viruses and bacteria that may contaminate blood products. Several physical, chemical, or photochemical processes have been developed to inactivate or reduce pathogens and increase safety of blood supply. A major feature of photochemical treatment, which is developed for platelet therapy, is the ability to leave platelet function unblemished so that post-transfusion recovery and survival are not impaired.
- The risk factor in pathogen reduction systems is considerably less; however, care has to be taken during the pathogen reduction process that involves chemicals as they have multiple sites of actions. For instance, cross-linking of lipids in cellular membranes and organelles. Pathogen reduction systems interacting with proteins can cause cellular signal transduction mistakes, respiratory pathway deficiencies, or structural abnormalities. Chemical binding to nucleic acids or intercalating nucleic acid chains can lead to errors in transcription, translation, or replication.
Key Drivers, Restraints, and Opportunities of Pathogen Reduction System Market
- Increase in prevalence of infectious diseases and growing awareness about the need for effective blood transfusions are major drivers of the global pathogen reduction system market. Blood transfusion is considered as a key pillar of the modern healthcare system, and it saves millions of lives every year; however, several hospital patients in low- and middle-income countries do not have access to a timely and safe supply. According to WHO, the total blood supply around the world was estimated to be around 272 million units, in 2017, while the demand stood at 303 million units, which means the world was lacking 30 million units of blood. Moreover, the 119 countries with insufficient supply, caused the shortfall to reach 100 million units. Risk of pathogen and virus development in the blood before transfusion is considerably high.
- The risk of affecting or harming the blood cells or generating toxic chemical agents during the pathogen reduction treatment and fair reimbursement issues have been major restraints of the global pathogen reduction system market. Ongoing research and development is likely to play a major role in the evaluation of these new technologies.
- Increase in diagnostic of blood transfusion is estimated to offer further opportunities. Moreover, technological development to prevent and avoid any kind of bacterial entry in the blood receiver’s body is also estimated to create opportunity for the global pathogen reduction system market.
North America to Capture Major Share of Pathogen Reduction System Market
- North America holds a major share of the global pathogen reduction system market. High rate of blood transfusion due to a rise in incidence of blood-related diseases, such as anemia, hemophilia and sickle cell diseases, which require pathogen reduction system for the safe transfusion of blood from donor to the patient. According to the American Red Cross, sickle cell disease affects 90,000 to 100,000 people in the U.S. About 1,000 babies are born with this disease each year. Sickle cell patients can require blood transfusions throughout their lives. Nearly 21 million blood components are transfused each year in the U.S.
- The market in Asia Pacific is projected to expand at a considerable pace during the forecast period owing to growing prevalence of diseases such as cancer, which require regular blood transfusion during chemotherapy. The region is one the worst affected in terms of road accidents. According to WHO, Southeast Asia recorded a death rate of 20.7 deaths per 100,000 population. Several deaths occurs due to lack of availability of safe blood for transfusion.
Key Players Operating in Global Pathogen Reduction System Market
The global pathogen reduction system is highly fragmented, with the presence of various key players. A large number of manufacturers hold a major share in their respective regions. Major players operating in the global pathogen reduction system market are:
- Terumo BCT, Inc.
- Macopharma SA
- Cerus Corporation
- AngioDynamics, Inc.
- Octapharma AG
Global Pathogen Reduction System Market: Research Scope
Global Pathogen Reduction System Market, by Procedure
- Riboflavin plus Ultraviolet irradiation
- Amotsalen-HCl plus UVA irradiation
- Gamma Irradiation
Global Pathogen Reduction System Market, by Type
- Plasma pathogen reduction
- Platelets pathogen reduction
- Whole blood pathogen reduction
Global Pathogen Reduction System Market, by End-user
- Ambulatory Surgery Centers (ASCs)
- Blood Banks
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.