Surgical Equipment Market
Surgical Equipment Market (Product: Surgical Sutures & Staples, Surgical Handheld Instruments, and Electrosurgical Devices; Application: Ophthalmology, Gynecology, General Surgery, Bariatric Surgery, Plastic Surgery, and Others; and End User: Hospitals, Ambulatory Surgical Centers, and Clinics) - Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends, and Forecast, 2020-2030
Surgical Instruments Hold Risks of Exposure to Coronavirus in Patients
Surgical equipment sterilization has become important now more than ever due to the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak. Medical facilities are under scrutiny for sterilization of surgical equipment to prevent the spread of COVID-19. As COVID-19 continues to dominate major countries such as the U.S., India, Russia, and Brazil, medical facilities are under immense pressure of containing the spread of the coronavirus via infected surgical instruments. Hence, companies in the surgical equipment market are also adopting precautionary measures to efficiently sterilize and clean the instruments before they reach medical facilities.
Medical systems without proper on-site equipment for sterilization can lead to increased spread of coronavirus among patients. Since healthcare systems are already compromised by active and incoming number of COVID-19 patients, it has become crucial for companies in the surgical equipment market to supply sterilized instruments that can be directly implemented in surgeries.
Request a sample to get extensive insights into the Surgical Equipment Market
Strategic Collaborations Bolster Innovations in Single-handed Surgical Suturing Devices
The demand for single-handed surgical suturing devices is growing in the healthcare landscape. Mellon Medical- a Dutch medtech company has announced the launch of Switch®- a single patient use precision suturing device, which is being used for abdominal wall closure and facilitates the small bites technique. Companies in the surgical equipment market are setting their collaboration wheels in motion by entering into strategic agreements to create enough availability of single-handed surgical suturing devices in various healthcare facilities.
The small bites technique for abdominal wall closure is helping to minimize the risks of post-surgery incisional hernia, thus improving patient quality of life. Single-handed surgical suturing devices are gaining popularity for improving patient outcomes and achieving a substantial reduction in healthcare costs. Such devices are contributing toward the growth of the surgical equipment market, which is estimated to cross a value of US$ 14.8 Bn by the end of 2030.
To understand how our report can bring difference to your business strategy, Ask for a brochure
Leading Players Gain Competitive Edge over Emerging Players for Expensive Instrument Handling
Top-tier surgical equipment manufacturers are posing as a tough competition to emerging market players. Since small players lack the technical expertise and capital to invest in state-of-the-art manufacturing facilities, established market players account for a lion’s share of the revenue of the surgical equipment market. Medtech companies are often concerned about sterilization, cleaning, and protection of surgical equipment. Hence, OEMs are educating them about their techniques in handling expensive instruments.
Companies in the surgical equipment market are increasing their R&D efforts to invest in facilities that endure the real-world challenges of their valued customers. They are investing in facilities that can accommodate new instruments pertaining to robotics and intricate cameras in devices. OEMs are increasing efforts to comply with each company’s exact cleaning and sterilization instructions to avoid discrepancies in the contractual agreement.
Stuck in a neck-to-neck competition with other brands? Request a custom report on Surgical Equipment Market
Robotics Leverage Performance Capabilities of Surgeons in Open Surgical Procedures
Robotic surgery holds promising potentials in conducting minimally invasive procedures. Research and development activities suggest that surgeons will be able to use very small instruments attached to a robotic arm to conduct surgeries, thus leveraging the capabilities of surgeons in open surgeries in the near future. Traditional surgical equipment used in minimally invasive procedures are likely to be more rigid as compared to the tools being used in robotics. Moreover, companies in the surgical equipment market are being criticized for their one-size-fits-all solutions that are affecting patient outcomes. Hence, manufacturers are focusing their R&D in robotics to improve clinical outcomes in open surgeries.
Since patients have varied anatomies, medtech companies in the surgical equipment market should collaborate with researchers such as in the Australian Centre for Robotic Vision to develop custom robotic surgical instruments.
Illumination Technology in Retractors Provide Optimum Visibility in Abdominal Procedures
Illumination technologies are being used in retractors to improve outcomes in surgical procedures. For instance, TeDan Surgical Innovations- a surgical equipment supplier based in Texas has introduced the illumination technology in its Phantom XL™ Lateral Surgical Retractor System using LED (Light Emitting Diode) light for optimum visualization during surgeries. Companies in the surgical equipment market are designing retractors that easily attach through a quick-connect rack clamp whilst delivering set-up stability throughout the discectomy and implant trial phase.
Predictable and reliable retraction of the panniculus during surgical procedures. Since it is challenging for surgeons to locate and access the surgical site with conventional retractors, companies in the surgical equipment market are increasing their production capabilities to develop retractors that hold the panniculus throughout the operation, thus freeing the surgeon’s hands during procedures. Reliable retraction instruments are increasingly replacing tapes and straps, thus reducing prep-time for operations.
Ergonomically Sound Cutting Tools Help Improve Patient Outcomes
High-grade steel is highly preferred in cutting instruments. Hence, STILLE- a manufacturer of high-quality surgical instruments and C-arm tables is broadening its product portfolio in high-grade steel cutting tools that provide unique feel and reliability to surgeons in various surgical specialties. Companies in the surgical equipment market are increasing efforts to develop ergonomically sound dissecting scissors with beveled blades that are being used in hand surgeries. The demand for micro instruments such as forceps and needle holders is high in the healthcare landscape.
Manufacturers are developing handcrafted surgical equipment by collaborating with highly skilled artisans to innovate in scissors and micro instruments. Multi-stage development of surgical instruments is becoming important for manufacturers in order to gain global recognition in the market landscape. They are developing double-action bone ronguers, clamps, and curettes made from the finest stainless and titanium materials that serve the performance of surgeons in complex operations.
The pressure of sterilizing surgical instruments is being shared by equipment manufacturers and healthcare facilities, since the latter use autoclaves to prevent the spread of COVID-19 via infected instruments. The surgical equipment market is projected to grow at a modest CAGR of ~4% during the forecast period. Conventional surgical instruments are potentially rigid in open surgeries. Hence, companies should increase their R&D in robotics to enhance the capabilities of surgeons in performing open surgeries. They should develop single-handed surgical suturing devices that prevent the complications of post-surgery incisional hernia in patients to cut down on healthcare costs and improve patient quality of life.
Surgical Equipment Market: Overview
- According to Transparency Market Research’s latest report on the global surgical equipment market for the historical period 2018-2019 and forecast period 2020 - 2030, the global surgical equipment market is driven by the rise in the number of surgeries
- According to the report, the global surgical equipment market was valued at ~US$ 9.7 Bn in 2019. It is anticipated to expand at a CAGR of ~4% from 2020 to 2030.
Key Drivers of Surgical Equipment Market: Gaining Popularity of Health Insurance in Emerging Countries such as India
- Health insurance is gaining momentum in the countries such as India. Currently, 15% of the population is covered by government health insurance companies and 2% by private health insurance. Several private insurance companies have entered the market and empaneled hospitals to provide cashless treatment to patients of insurance companies.
- According to the data provided by Narayana Health in 2017, India needed around 65 crore surgeries per year to meet the growing demand for different types of surgeries. However, currently, India conducted around only 2 crore surgeries per year, and this deficiency is due to lack of affordability of healthcare as well as less number of specialized surgeons.
- Therefore, the high rate of penetration of healthcare insurance and awareness about the advantages of healthcare insurance prompt patients to undergo treatment, and this is expected to help to meet the demand for surgeries and boost the demand for surgical equipment
Fragmented Market: Key Restraints of Surgical Equipment
- The surgical equipment market is highly fragmented. The market consists of several small to medium-sized companies that compete with each other and larger enterprises. Several regional and local manufacturing players offer low-cost surgical equipment such as cutting instrument, sutures, dilators, etc., especially in countries such as China, Brazil, India, and Germany.
- Moreover, high preference for low-cost endosurgery instruments and the habit of using consumable instruments, such as forceps and pencils for a long time in repeated surgery in rural area hospitals, have restraint sales volume of surgical equipment of numerous manufacturing companies. This is hampering the surgical equipment market.
Surgical Equipment Market: Competition Landscape
- This report profiles major players operating in the global surgical equipment market based on various attributes such as company overview, financial overview, product portfolio, business strategies, and recent developments
- The global surgical equipment market is highly fragmented, owing to the presence of numerous global as well as regional players doing business in the surgical equipment market
- Leading players operating in the global surgical equipment market are -
- Medtronic plc
- CONMED Corporation
- Olympus Corporation
- Meril Life Science Pvt. Ltd.
- Integra Lifescience Corporation
- Ethicon, Inc.
- Healthium Ltd.
Surgical Equipment Market: Key Developments
- Key players in the global surgical equipment market are engaged in regulatory approvals, launch of new products, and acquisition & collaborative agreements with other companies. These strategies are likely to augment the global surgical equipment market. A few expansion strategies adopted by players operating in the global surgical equipment market are:
- In 2018, Medtronic launched Signia Stapling System. This provides an ideal solution to pioneering intelligence-based minimally invasive surgery, which offers real-time feedback and based on Adaptive Firing technology measures the firing force and adjusts the stapler's speed based on tissue variability measurements. This drive the demand for new advanced surgical equipment.
- In 2018, Apax Partners LLP is a U.K.-based private equity firm, acquired India-based medical devices company Healthium MedTech Pvt. Ltd to invest in the surgical equipment market
- The report on the global surgical equipment market discusses individual strategies, followed by company profiles of manufacturers and suppliers of surgical equipment. The competition landscape section has been included in the report to provide readers with a dashboard view and a company market share analysis of key players operating in the global surgical equipment market.
Surgical Equipment Market – Scope of the Report
TMR’s report on the global surgical equipment market studies past as well as current growth trends and opportunities to gain valuable insights of these indicators of the market during the forecast period from 2020 to 2030. The report provides revenue of the global surgical equipment market for the period 2018-2030, considering 2019 as the base year and 2030 as the forecast year. The report also provides the compound annual growth rate (CAGR) for the global surgical equipment market during the forecast period.
The report has been prepared after extensive primary and secondary researches. Primary research involved bulk of research efforts, wherein analysts carried out interviews with industry leaders and opinion makers. Extensive secondary research involved referring to key players’ product literature, annual reports, press releases, and relevant documents to understand the global surgical equipment market.
Secondary research also included Internet sources, statistical data from government agencies, websites, company presentations, sales data, and trade associations. Analysts have employed a combination of top-down and bottom-up approaches to study various phenomenon in the global surgical equipment market.
The report includes an elaborate executive summary, along with a snapshot of the growth behavior of various segments included in the scope of the study. Furthermore, the report sheds light on the changing competitive dynamics in the global surgical equipment market. These indices serve as valuable tools for existing market players as well as for entities interested in entering the global surgical equipment market.
The report delves into the competition landscape of the global surgical equipment market. Key players operating in the global surgical equipment market have been identified, and each one of these has been profiled for distinguishing business attributes. Company overview, financial standings, recent developments, and SWOT are some of the attributes of players in the global surgical equipment market that have been profiled in this report.
Key Questions Answered in Surgical Equipment Market Report
- What is the scope of growth of product companies in the global surgical equipment market?
- What will be the Y-o-Y growth of the global surgical equipment market between 2020 and 2030?
- Will North America continue to be the most profitable market for surgical equipment providers?
- Which factors are anticipated to hamper the growth of the global surgical equipment market during the forecast period?
- Which are the leading companies in the global surgical equipment market?
A unique research methodology has been utilized by TMR to conduct comprehensive research on the growth of the global surgical equipment market and arrive at conclusions on its growth prospects. This research methodology is a combination of primary and secondary researches, which helps analysts warrant the accuracy and reliability of the drawn conclusions.
Secondary sources referred to by analysts during the production of the global surgical equipment market report include statistics from company annual reports, SEC filings, company websites, investor presentations, regulatory databases, government publications, and industry white papers. Analysts have also interviewed senior managers, product portfolio managers, and market intelligence managers, who contributed to the production of TMR’s study on the surgical equipment market as primary research sources.
These primary and secondary research sources have provided exclusive information during interviews, which serves as a validation from the surgical equipment market leaders. Access to an extensive internal repository and external proprietary databases enabled this report to address specific details and questions about the global surgical equipment market with accuracy. The study also uses the top-down approach to assess the revenues for each segment and the bottom-up approach to counter-validate them. This has helped in reaching TMR’s estimates on future prospects of the global surgical equipment market more reliably and accurately.
Surgical Equipment Market – Segmentation