Wound Closure Strips Market
Wound Closure Strips Market (Type: Flexible and Reinforced; Sterility: Sterile and Non-sterile; and End User: Hospitals & Clinics, Household, and Others) - Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends, and Forecast, 2019 - 2027
Press Release :
Zipline Skin Closure System Gains Prominence in Wound Closure Strips Market
Zipline closure system is acquiring popularity as a non-invasive solution for skin lacerations in the wound closure strips market. Individuals are benefitting from these novel strips, since the system does not penetrate the skin. The uptake of zipline closure system is anticipated to rise in the coming years, owing to their advantages in emergency cases and in operation theatres. Companies in the market for wound closure strips are increasing their production capabilities to manufacture zip-like skin closure systems that mimic traditional skin closure systems such as sutures, staples, and glue (cyanoacrylates), among others.
Companies in the wound closure strips market are increasing R&D to develop zipline closure system made from adhesive strips and zip ties that help to close the wound site and improve patient outcomes. Non-invasive nature of these novel systems are catching the attention of healthcare providers, since the strips are safe and easy to apply.
To know the scope of our report Get a Sample on Wound Closure Strips Market
Micro-anchor Skin Closures to Fuel Market Growth
Companies in the wound closure strips market are collaborating to innovate in skin closure systems that transform operating rooms. For instance, in July 2019, Bandgrip— a leading Chicago-based medical device company, announced partnership with Indianapolis-based orthopedic practice OrthoIndy, to innovate in micro-anchor skin closures. Introduction of new products are boosting market growth, since the wound closure strips market is estimated to reach a revenue of US$ 446.3 Mn by the end of 2027.
Healthcare providers are increasingly opting for faster skin closure alternatives. This trend has triggered the demand for micro-anchor skin closures in the market for wound closure strips. Thus, micro-anchor skin closures are being highly publicized as an alternative to conventional skin sutures and staples. Novel micro-anchor skin closures alleviate the incidence of inflammation in the incision area of left for prolonged days. Companies in the market for wound closure strips are increasing research to develop skin closures that are clear and allow direct monitoring of the incision and adjacent skin.
Get a glimpse of the in-depth analysis through our Report Brochure
Plastic Transforms Market Outlook with Increased Uptake of Sterile Strips
Though plastic is infamous for its harmful repercussions on the environment, the innovative material is transforming the wound closure strips market. For instance, 3M— a global leader in medical devices, has introduced the 3M Steri Strips that are non-invasive, sterile, and designed to treat low-tension wounds. As such, sterile wound closure strips are predicted for exponential growth during the forecast period. Manufacturers are increasing their efficacy in novel plastic materials such as soft polyurethane pads, interlaced with polyester filaments that provide high tensile strength to secure skin closure for any length of the wound.
The uptake of sterile strips is anticipated to grow in the wound closure strips market in the coming years, since they enhance patient comfort and reduce the chances of infection. These attributes of sterile strips are helping toward speedy recovery from injuries and help to improve patient quality of life. Companies in the market for wound closure strips are increasing production capacities to manufacture sterile strips, owing to their time-saving option for medical professionals.
Sterile Strips Overcome Intuitive and Multi-step Process Limitations of Zipper Devices
The wound closure strips market is continuously growing with leading players accounting to ~60-70% of the market stake. However, limitations of zipper devices are likely to slow down market growth. For instance, zipper devices are less intuitive and require a multi-step process to apply. Such disadvantages of zipper strips pose as a barrier for large-scale adoption in hospitals and clinics. Hence, companies are tapping opportunities in other wound closure strips alternatives such as sterile strips that offer closure to even larger wounds.
On the other hand, companies in the wound closure strips market are manufacturing ZipStich strips that are gaining popularity as surgical-quality wound closures. These novel strips provide the added benefit of eliminating the need for stitches after an individual suffers an injury. Companies are strategically positioning ZipStich strips to cater to the needs of individuals who have suffered minor lacerations.
Expanding operations in future? To get the perfect launch ask for a custom report
Companies in the wound closure strips market are eyeing opportunities in North America, since the region is projected to lead the wound closure strips market during the forecast period. Another driver that is fueling market growth in North America is the introduction of micro-anchor skin closures that are highly preferred by hospitals and clinics in the U.S.
Zipper devices are gaining popularity for their adjustable ratchet ties for the convenience of the end users. However, the raised plastic profile has the potential risk of hooking onto loose clothing, thus creating inconvenience for end users. Hence, companies should develop non-invasive sterile strips that have high tensile strength and eliminate the need for stitches after suffering an injury.
Wound Closure Strips Market: Overview
- According to Transparency Market Research’s latest market report on the wound closure strips market for the historical period of 2017–2018 and forecast of 2019–2027, prevalence of wounds and diseases; increase in surgical site infections and hospital-acquired infections; and rise in patient population propelling adoption of wound closure strips are key factors that are likely to boost the wound closure strips market
- According to the report, the global wound closure strips market was valued at US$ 250 Mn in 2018. The wound closure strips market is expected to expand at a CAGR of ~7% during the forecast period from 2019 to 2027.
Increase in Number of Surgical Procedures and Surgical Site Infections (SSI) and Rise in Geriatric Population: A Key Driver of Wound Closure Strips Market
- According to a study published in the Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology Journal, published in 2014, patients with an SSI have a 2 to 11 times higher risk of death compared with operative patients without an SSI
- According to Health Research & Educational Trust (HRET) report published in 2018, more than 15 million surgeries are performed in the U.S. annually. Between 2% and 5% of these patients are expected to develop an SSI, equating to between 160,000 and 300,000 SSIs countrywide each year.
- According to the British Geriatrics Society, rate of older people undergoing surgical procedures is increasing faster than the rate of population ageing
- Rise in number of surgical procedures, which leads to increase in surgical site infections, is likely to propel the wound closure strips market during the forecast period. Moreover, increase in geriatric population, which constitutes a prominent portion of patient population, is responsible for fuelling the growth of the wound closure strips market.
Increase in Prevalence of Wounds and Injuries: Driver of Wound Closure Strips Market
- According to a post published in 2019, in Healogics, 6.7 million people in the U.S. are living with chronic wounds. One in four families has a family member with a chronic wound.
- According to a study published in 2016, in the Systematic Reviews Journal, titled “Prevalence and incidence of chronic wounds and related complications: a protocol for a systematic review”, in the U.S., chronic wounds are reported to affect 6.5 million patients with more than US$ 25 Bn each year spent by the healthcare system on treating wound-related complications
- According to the WHO, 84,589 people died from road traffic injuries in 2013 in Europe– more than 230 every day. Road trauma kills more people aged 5 to 14 than any other cause and is the second leading cause of death for those aged 15 to 29.
- According to Asia Insurance review published in 2014, road accidents are a leading cause of death and injury worldwide, with a startling 85% of the world’s road deaths occurring in developing countries alone. By 2020, the World Health Organization (WHO) predicted that in parts of Asia, road accident injuries would be the third-highest threat to public health.
Not Applicable for Wounds under Significant Tension or Irregular Wounds: A Key Restraint of Wound Closure Strips Market
- Wound closure strips do not work well on wounds under significant tension or on wounds that are irregular, on concave surfaces, or in areas of marked tissue laxity
- In several cases, wound closure strips do not provide satisfactory apposition to the wound edges without concurrent underlying deep closure
- Wound closure strips can be used when wound edges are easily apposed without leaving any dead space. At times, wound edges invert after a skin tape has been applied.
- For wounds under high tensile strength, wound closure strips are not recommended as the wound closure treatment method. Their use is typically reserved for linear lacerations under minimal tension.
- The factors mentioned above are anticipated to restrain the wound closure strips market
Wound Closure Strips Market: Competition Landscape
- This report on wound closure strips market profiles major players in the global wound closure strips market based on various attributes such as company overview, financial overview, product portfolio, business strategies, and recent developments
- Prominent players operating in the wound closure strips market include
- McKesson Medical-Surgical Inc. (McKesson Corporation),
- Cardinal Health,
- BSN medical (Essity Aktiebolag (publ.)),
- DermaRite Industries, LLC.,
- Dynarex Corporation,
- ZipLine Medical (Stryker),
- priMED Medical Products, Inc., and
- Smith & Nephew plc
Wound Closure Strips Market: Key Developments
- Key players in the wound closure strips market are engaged in the development of new products, key merger & acquisition, collaborations, and integration. Key developments by industry players are likely to fuel the wound closure strips market. Some strategies in the wound closure strips market are as follows:
- In October 2019, 3M announced that it has completed its acquisition of Acelity, Inc. and its KCI subsidiaries worldwide for a total enterprise value of approximately US$ 6.7 Bn, including assumption of debt and other adjustments. Acelity is a leading global medical technology company focused on advanced wound care and specialty surgical applications marketed under the KCI brand.
- In September 2018, McKesson Medical-Surgical Inc., an affiliate of the McKesson Corporation, signed an exclusive agreement with ILÚM Health Solutions, part of Merck & Co, Inc.’s Healthcare Services and Solutions business that provides innovative technology and services to support infectious disease management, to serve the community hospitals market in the U.S.
- In March 2013, Cardinal Health announced that it enhanced its ability to serve the growing population of aging and chronically ill patients by completing its US$ 2.07 Bn acquisition of privately held AssuraMed, a leading provider of medical supplies to patients in the home
- In the global wound closure strips market report, we have discussed individual strategies, followed by company profiles of the manufacturers of wound closure strips. The ‘Competition Landscape’ section is included in the wound closure strips report to provide readers with a dashboard view and a company market share analysis of the key players operating in the global wound closure strips market.
Wound Closure Strips Market – Scope of the Report
TMR’s report on the global wound closure strips market studies the past as well as the current growth trends and opportunities to gain valuable insights of the indicators for the said market during the forecast period from 2019 to 2027. The report provides the overall market revenue of the global wound closure strips market for the period of 2017–2027, considering 2018 as the base year and 2027 as the forecast year. The report also provides the compound annual growth rate (CAGR %) of the global wound closure strips market from 2019 to 2027.
The report has been prepared after an extensive research. Primary research involves bulk of research efforts, wherein analysts carried out interviews with key opinion leaders, industry leaders, and opinion makers. Extensive secondary research involves referring to key players’ product literature, annual reports, press releases, and relevant documents to understand the global wound closure strips market.
Secondary research also includes Internet sources, statistical data from government agencies, websites, and trade associations. Analysts have employed a combination of top-down and bottom-up approaches to study various attributes of the global wound closure strips market.
The report includes an elaborate executive summary, along with a snapshot of the growth behavior of various segments and sub-segments included in the scope of the study. Moreover, the report sheds light on changing competitive dynamics in the global wound closure strips market. These serve as valuable tools for existing market players as well as for entities interested in participating in the global wound closure strips market.
The report delves into the competitive landscape of the global wound closure strips market. Key players operating in the global wound closure strips market have been identified and each one of them has been profiled in terms of various attributes. Company overview, financial standings, recent developments, and SWOT are attributes of players in the global wound closure strips market that have been profiled in this report.
Key Questions Answered in Wound Closure Strips Market Report
- What is the sales/revenue generated by wound closure strips market across all regions during the forecast period?
- What are the opportunities in the global wound closure strips market?
- What are the major drivers, restraints, opportunities, and threats in the global market?
- Which region is set to expand at the fastest CAGR during the forecast period?
- Which type segment is expected to generate the highest revenue globally in 2027? Which segment is projected to expand at the highest CAGR during the forecast period?
- What are the market positions of different companies operating in the global market?
A unique research methodology has been utilized by TMR to conduct comprehensive research on the growth of the global wound closure strips market and arrive at conclusions on its growth prospects. This research methodology is a combination of primary and secondary research, which helps analysts warrant the accuracy and reliability of the drawn conclusions.
Secondary methods referred to by analysts during the production of the global wound closure strips market report include statistics from company annual reports, SEC filings, company websites, investor presentations, regulatory databases, government publications, and industry white papers. Analysts have also interviewed senior managers, product portfolio managers, CEOs, VPs, and market intelligence managers, who contributed to the production of TMR’s study on the wound closure strips market as primary methods.
These primary and secondary methods have provided exclusive information during interviews, which serves as a validation from the wound closure strips market leaders. Access to an extensive internal repository and external proprietary databases enabled this report to address specific details and questions about the global wound closure strips market with accuracy. The study also uses the top-down approach to assess the revenue for each segment and the bottom-up approach to counter-validate them. This has helped in reaching TMR’s estimates on future prospects of the global wound closure strips market more reliably and accurately.
Wound Closure Strips Market – Segmentation
TMR’s study on the global wound closure strips market includes information divided into four segments: type, sterility, end user, and region. Changing industry trends and other crucial market dynamics associated with these segments of the global wound closure strips market have been discussed in detail.