Machine-to-Machine (M2M) Gateway: Introduction
- Machine-to-Machine (M2M) is a wide term that refers to any technology that permits networked devices to share data and complete operations without the need for human intervention. Machine learning (ML) and artificial intelligence (AI) facilitate communication between systems and enable them to make autonomous decisions.
- M2M gateway technology was first used in industrial and manufacturing environments where other technologies such as supervisory control and data acquisition (SCADA) and remote monitoring helped to remotely control and manage device data.
- M2M has since found use in other industries such as business, insurance, and healthcare. M2M is also the underlying technology for Internet of Things (IoT).
- M2M gateways are isolated, independent, and networked devices. M2M gateways use point-to-point communication between machines, sensors, and hardware via cellular or cable networks.
- M2M gateways connect one or more local network devices with a wired or wireless broadband connection. The local network can be wireless or wired. The M2M gateway hosts multiple network and application stacks that run in virtual machines on one or more CPU cores.
- The increased implementation of M2M technology should not destroy the original cost and energy efficiency advantages. Power-saving and profitable nodes are the most important drivers. A gateway can help scale and bridge energy-saving wireless networks and conventional network infrastructures.
- This is the age of networked intelligence. In 2021, the world is likely to be more linked, with wireless networks connecting more machines than people, and machine-to-machine technology expected to help people become more energy- efficient and safer.
Global Machine-to-Machine (M2M) Gateway Market: Dynamics
Global Machine-to-Machine (M2M) Gateway Market: Key Drivers
- The main growth drivers of the market are the increasing use of the internet in emerging countries and favorable regulatory requirements, which drives the machine-to-machine (M2M) gateway market.
- Growing M2M connections in several businesses and increasing adoption of new connectivity technologies such as Bluetooth Smart / BLE and 4G / LTE are further accelerating the growth of the machine-to-machine (M2M) gateway market.
- The machine-to-machine gateway market is expected to expand during the forecast period due to the extensive adoption rate of wireless technologies. The increasing implementation of short-range wireless connectivity technologies such as Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, and ZigBee for numerous applications such as infotainment systems in cars, wireless beacons, patient monitors, and smart devices is driving the market.
- Automotive & transportation and utility industries have major share of the machine-to-machine (M2M) gateway market globally, which is expected to propel the market.
- However, the high cost of deployment and implementation of M2M technology is projected to restrain the global machine-to-machine (M2M) gateway market.
Impact of COVID-19 on the Global Machine-to-Machine (M2M) Gateway Market
- COVID-19 is having a huge impact on small, medium, and large businesses and on various industries such as automotive, textiles, manufacturing, hospitality, travel, and transportation due to country-level lockdowns around the world.
- Automotive, transportation, healthcare, and other sectors implemented the new technologies during this pandemic, and thus, demand for M2M technologies in these sectors is expected to increase during COVID-19, which results in significant growth of the machine-to-machine (M2M) gateway market globally.
- Therefore, COVID-19 has a positive impact on the global machine-to-machine gateway market.
North America to Hold Major Share of the Global Machine-to-Machine (M2M) Gateway Market
- The global machine-to-machine (M2M) market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Middle East & Africa, and South America.
- North America is expected to hold the largest market share in terms of revenue and is expected to expand at the highest CAGR during the forecast period i.e. 2021-2031. North America is a leading industrial center as well as a significant emerging market for several other sectors.
- Asia Pacific is expected to see growth in the machine-to-machine (M2M) gateway market over the forecast period due to government support, enhanced connectivity, and its importance for market leaders and the industry.
- Increasing internet penetration in commercial and residential spaces, a large consumer base, rising disposable revenue, and improving IT infrastructure are some of the key factors driving the growth of the M2M connectivity market in APAC.
Global Machine-to-Machine (M2M) Gateway Market: Competition Landscape
- Various key players such as Nokia, Vodafone Group Plc, Wipro, and Zoho are active in the machine-to-machine (M2M) market
- M2M applications have great potential to transform companies; they challenge organizations to be as innovative as the mobile internet. Given the diversity of M2M applications, some areas are likely to be more effective and emerge as winners.
- Nokia worked with Bangalore-based developer Divum to create an application that runs on the Nokia N8 that allows consumers to control mini car models via Wi-Fi and motion detection. Divan Labs has successfully developed and implemented the M2M interface to control complex machines such as cars with integrated functions. Divum has developed a prototype of an unmanned vehicle that can be used for security applications in difficult terrains.
- Chennai-based online software products company Zoho has developed an M2M product called "ATM Site Manager."
Key Players Operating in the Global Machine-to-Machine (M2M) Gateway Market Include:
- Vodafone Group PLC
- AT&T Inc.
- Texas Instruments Incorporated
- Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd.
- Intel Corporation
- Orange S.A
- NXP Semiconductors N.V
- China Mobile Ltd.
- Cisco Systems Inc.
- Sprint Corporation
- Verizon Communication Inc.
- Telit Communications
- Wipro Limited
Global Machine-to-Machine (M2M) Gateway Market: Research Scope
Global Machine-to-Machine (M2M) Gateway Market, by Technology
- Wired Technologies
- Industrial Ethernet
- Wireless Technologies
- Cellular Network
- Second Generation (2G)
- Third Generation (3G)
- Fourth Generation (4G)/Long-Term Evolution (LTE)
- Short Range
- Cellular Network
Global Machine-to-Machine (M2M) Gateway Market, by End-user
- Smart Grids
- Smart Meters
- Automotive & Transportation
- Fleet Tracking/Monitoring
- Patient Monitoring Systems
- Blood Pressure Monitor
- Blood Glucose Meter
- Multi-parameter Monitor
- Fall Detector
- Smart Pill Dispenser
- Patient Monitoring Systems
- Intelligent Vending Machines
- Contactless Checkout/POS
- Digital Signage
- Security & Surveillance
- Commercial & Residential Security
- Remote Surveillance
- Consumer Electronics
- Smart TV
- Smart Appliances
- Smart Refrigerator
- Smart Washing Machine
- Smart Oven
- Smart Cooktop
- Oil & Gas
Global Machine-to-Machine (M2M) Gateway Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
- South America
- Rest of South America
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.