A Paget’s disease is a chronic bone disorder characterized by misshaped or enlarge bone. The disease is primarily caused by disorganized bone formation or excessive breakdown of bone that may result in pain and fracture in joints near the affected bone. In Paget’s disease, the remoulding of bone is disturbed which ultimately leads to brittle and dense bone. Additionally, this disease may also lead to other medical problems such as arthritis, kidney stones, nervous system problems, and vision loss. About 70% to 90% of patients with Paget’s disease are asymptomatic, while some patients experience symptoms such as bone pain, secondary osteoarthritis, bone deformity, excessive warmth, and neurologic complications.
X-ray, bone scanning, and alkaline phosphate blood test are preliminary diagnostics tools for the diagnosis of the Paget’s disease. In addition, aspirin and anti-inflammatory drugs are used to decrease the activity of this disease.
Introduction of new drugs for the treatment of Paget’s disease is likely to drive the growth of the market. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved several medications such as risedronate, zoledronic acid, pamidronate, and calcitonin that reduce the pain and decrease the progression of the disease. Thus, the approval of new and highly effective drugs for the treatment of the disease is projected to increase the uptake of drugs by patients and ultimately boost the market growth. In addition, increasing research and activities by key players to identify viral and genetic causes of Paget’s disease are expected to propel the market growth. However, decrease in the prevalence of the disease, resulting in the decline of drug treated population, is restraining the market growth. In addition, patent expiry of drugs such as Fosamax, Miacalcin and Reclast is likely to further hamper the growth of this market.
The global market for Paget’s disease can be segmented on the basis of product, distribution channel, and geography. In terms of product, the market is segmented into bone-specific serum alkaline phosphatase diagnostic kits, therapeutics, and orthotic devices. The therapeutics segment includes bisphosphonates and calcitonin analogues. The therapeutic segment is anticipated to account for a major share of the Paget’s disease market, followed by the orthotic devices segment, owing to geriatric population and availability of effective therapeutics coupled with a large number of therapeutics under clinical pipelines. However, less technological advancement and product development has restricted the market growth of the diagnostic kits segment.
According to the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, the prevalence of the disease varies in different regions of the world. Europe has the highest prevalence of the disease (predominantly England, France, and Germany). The U.S., Australia, and New Zealand also have a high prevalence rate because of a significant population of Northern European ancestry and British immigrants. Europe and North America dominate the global Paget’s disease market due to consistent efforts of domiciled manufacturers to introduce novel treatment options. Affecting 1 out of every 33,000 people in the U.S., the Paget's disease is listed as one of the rare diseases by the Office of Rare Diseases (ORD). The disease is rare in the countries of Asia, especially China, India, and Malaysia, and in the Middle East and Africa. India and South East Asia are emerging markets for Paget’s disease owing to positive initiatives by government to cure the disease.
Key players operating in the global Paget’s disease market include Abbott Laboratories, Pfizer Inc., Boston Scientific Corporation, Medtronic, Inc. Quidel Corporation, Quest Diagnostics Incorporated, BSN Medical, DeRoyal Industries, Inc., and DJO Global.
This intelligence report by TMR is the outcome of intense study and rigorous assessment of various dynamics shaping the growth of the market. TMR nurtures a close-knit team of analysts, strategists, and industry experts who offer clients tools, methodologies, and frameworks to make smarter decisions. Our objective, insights, and actionable analytics provide CXOs and executives to advance their mission-critical priorities with confidence.
The scrutiny of the various forces impacting the dynamics of the market, and key and associated industries, guides enterprises in understanding various consumer propositions. Our clients leverage these insights and perspectives to enhance customer experience in the fast-paced business environment.
All our insights and perspectives are broadly based on 4 Pillars or Stages: ASBC-S, which offer an elaborate and customizable framework for the success of an organization. The essence and the roles of these in organizational successes are highlighted below:
- Agenda for CXOs: TMR, through the study, sets the tone for agendas that are pertinent to CEOs, CFOs, CIOs, and other CXO executives of businesses operating in the market. The perspectives help our clients to bridge the gap between agenda and action plan. TMR strives to offer guidance to CXOs to undertake mission-critical activities empowered by various business analysis tools, and boost the performance of the organizations. The perspectives guide you to decide on your own marketing mix that align well with the policies, visions, and mission.
- Strategic Frameworks: The study offers how organizations are setting both short-term and long-term strategic plans. Our team of experts collaborate and communicate with you to understand these to make your organizations sustainable and resilient during tough times. The insights help them decide sustainable competitive advantage for each business units.
- Benchmarking for Deciding Target Markets and Brand Positioning: The assessments in the study provides a scrutiny of marketing channels and marketing mix. Our various teams work synergistically with you to help identify your actual and potential direct, indirect, and budget competition areas. Additionally, the study helps you decide most effective budgets for various processes and promotional activities. Furthermore, the study guides you to set benchmarks for integrating people and processes with the 4Ps of marketing. Eventually, this will empower you to find out unique propositioning strategies and niches.
- Business Composability for Sustainability (C-S): Constant strategy planning for sustainability characterizing our C-S framework in the report has become more relevant than before in the face of disruptions caused by pandemics, recessions, boom and bust cycles, and changing geopolitical scenario. The TMR study offers a high level of customization to help you achieve business composability. Composable enterprises are increasingly gaining the attention of CXOs in order to help them combat market volatility. Our analysts and industry experts help you wade through such uncertainties and guide you to become a smart sustainable business in entirety.
The study presents scrutiny of region-specific consumer and technology trends, including the most recent industry dynamics. These broadly cover but not limited to
- North America, South America, and the Americas
- Asia Pacific and Japan
- Latin America
- Middle East and Africa
The study offers data-driven insights and guidance of several aspects. Some of the more notable questions are:
- What are the major recent trends that can influence the product life cycle and the RoI?
- Which regulatory trends shape corporate-level, business-level, and functional-level strategies?
- Which micromarketing initiatives of leading players will bring in investments?
- What can be the best framework and tools for PESTLE analysis?
- Which regions will witness rise in new opportunities?
- Which are the game-changing technologies being used to capture new revenue streams in the near future?
- Which operational and tactical frameworks are being adopted by various players in gaining customer loyalty?
- What is the current and expected intensity of competition the market in the near future?
Disclaimer: This market research study is an ongoing effort and extreme care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy at all stages. However, in the light of the rapidly evolving business dynamics, some region-specific or other segment-specific changes may take time to be part of the study.