Global Nateglinide Market: Introduction
Nateglinide is an oral antihyperglycemic agent. It belongs to the meglitinide class of short-acting insulin secretagogues. It is used for the treatment of non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus. The agent acts by binding to β cells of the pancreas to stimulate and regulate insulin release. Nateglinide is an amino acid derivative. It induces an early insulin response to meals decreasing postprandial blood glucose levels. Meglitinides may have a neutral effect on weight or cause a slight increase in weight. The average weight gain caused by meglitinides appears to be lower than that caused by sulfonylureas and insulin and appears to occur only in those naïve to oral antidiabetic agents. Meglitinides may cause hypoglycemia due to their mechanism of action. However, the risk is thought to be lower than that of sulfonylureas since their action is dependent on the presence of glucose. Nateglinide is used alone or with other medications to control high blood sugar along with a proper diet and exercise program.
Nateglinide is extensively metabolized in the liver and excreted in urine (83%) and feces (10%). Major metabolites possess less activity than the parent compound.
Are you a Start-up willing to make it big in the Business? Grab an Exclusive PDF Brochure of Nateglinide Market Report
Key Drivers of Global Nateglinide Market
Rapid Growth in Prevalence of Diabetes
According to the World Health Organization (WHO), the number of people with diabetes has risen from 108 million in 1980 to 422 million in 2014. The global prevalence of diabetes among adults over 18 years of age has risen from 4.7% in 1980 to 8.5% in 2014. Diabetes prevalence has been rising more rapidly in middle- and low-income countries. Diabetes is a major cause of blindness, kidney failure, heart attacks, stroke, and lower limb amputation. In 2016, an estimated 1.6 million deaths were directly caused by diabetes. Another 2.2 million deaths were attributable to high blood glucose in 2012. Almost half of all deaths attributable to high blood glucose occur before the age of 70 years. The WHO estimated that diabetes was the seventh leading cause of death in 2016.
Increase in Prevalence of Obesity
According to the WHO, global prevalence of obesity has nearly tripled since 1975. In 2016, more than 1.9 billion adults, 18 years and older, were overweight. Of these, over 650 million were obese. 39% of adults aged 18 years and over were overweight in 2016, and 13% were obese. Most of the world's population lives in countries where overweight and obesity kills more people than underweight. 40 million children under the age of 5 were overweight or obese in 2018. Over 340 million children and adolescents aged 5 to 19 were overweight or obese in 2016.
North America to Account for Major Share of Global Nateglinide Market
- North America is projected to account for major share of the global nateglinide market during the forecast period. The market in the region is anticipated to grow at a rapid pace in the next few years due to increase in prevalence of diabetes disorders and new digital technologies and the availability of developed health care infrastructure. Europe is expected to be the second largest market during the forecast period.
- The nateglinide market in Asia Pacific is likely to expand at a high CAGR during the forecast period. This can be attributed to increase in geriatric population is high in the region.
Expanding Operations in Future? To Get the Perfect Launch Ask for a Custom Nateglinide Market Report
Key Players Operating in Global Nateglinide Market
The global nateglinide market is highly consolidated, with the presence of a small number of key players. Leading players operating in the global nateglinide market are:
- Novartis Europharm Limited
- Caremark L.L.C.
- AvKARE, Inc.
- Avera McKennan Hospital
- Zydus Pharmaceuticals (USA) Inc.
- Nivagen Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- American Health Packaging
- Par Pharmaceutical, Inc.
- Wilshire Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- Dr. Reddy's Laboratories Limited
- Cadila Healthcare Limited
- Actavis Pharma, Inc.
Global Nateglinide Market: Research Scope
Global Nateglinide Market, by Device Therapy
- Combinational Therapy
Global Nateglinide Market, by Indication
- Decreased Blood Glucose
- Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus
- Decreased Weight
Global Nateglinide Market, by Distribution Channel
- Online Pharmacies
- Hospital Pharmacies
- Retail Pharmacies
Global Nateglinide Market, by Region
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Australia & New Zealand
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- GCC Countries
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.