Multiple Sclerosis Drugs Market
Multiple Sclerosis Drugs Market (Drug Class: Interferon Beta, Sphingosine 1 Phosphate Receptor Modulators, Mixed Polymers, NF-KB Inhibitor, Pyrimidine Synthesis Inhibitor, Monoclonal Antibodies, Corticosteroids, Adrenocorticotropic Hormone, and Others; Disease Type: Relapsing-remitting MS (RRMS), Primary-progressive MS (PPMS), Secondary-progressive MS (SPMS), and Progressive-relapsing MS (PRMS); Route of Administration: Parenteral and Oral; and Distribution Channel: Hospital Pharmacies, Retail Pharmacies & Drug Stores, and Online Pharmacies) - Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends, and Forecast, 2019 - 2027
Press Release :
Future of Multiple Sclerosis Drugs Market Hinges on FDA Approval and Research Activities
Multiple sclerosis is classified as a chronic, autoimmune, and inflammatory disease of the central nervous system, which affects the communication between different parts of the body and the brain. According to the National Multiple Sclerosis Society, over 1 million individuals have multiple sclerosis in the U.S. alone, and around 2.3 million people worldwide. These numbers continue to grow each year, which in turn makes it imperative to discover multiple sclerosis drugs with improved effectiveness and minimum side effects. Government and non-government entities in developed and developing regions are stepping up their efforts toward spreading awareness related to multiple sclerosis and are allocating substantial funds for research and development of new drugs.
Progress in life sciences and healthcare in the past decade, number of promising pipeline drug development projects, surge in the number of incidences of multiple sclerosis, and unmet needs pertaining to multiple sclerosis are some of the leading factors that are expected to accelerate the growth of the multiple sclerosis drugs market during the forecast period (2019-2027). Thus, the global multiple sclerosis drugs market, which was valued at ~US$ 20 Bn in 2019, is expected to reach ~US$ 31.5 Bn by 2027.
To know the scope of our report Get a Sample on Point-of-Care Multiple Sclerosis Drugs Market
Stakeholders Prioritize Development of New Drugs
Although prevalence of multiple sclerosis dates back to more than a hundred years, the first wave of drugs that exhibited moderate efficacy levels to treat multiple sclerosis gained approval 25 years ago. Since then, despite significant research, stakeholders were yet to find a treatment or a drug to cure multiple sclerosis.
In 2017, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) gave the approval for Ocrevus ™ (ocrelizumab), a newly developed medication that has shown promising results in slowing down the progression of multiple sclerosis, and is also one of the first drugs to receive the approval for the treatment of primary-progressive multiple sclerosis. Clinical trials revealed that patients who were given doses of ocrelizumab exhibited fewer brain lesions and a significantly lower relapse rate. Furthermore, this drug showed greater efficacy in minimizing the annual relapse rate and a number of lesions that could be seen on MRI scans than interferon beta 1a (one of the most extensively used drugs to treat multiple sclerosis).
Get a glimpse of the in-depth analysis through our Report Brochure
At present, monoclonal antibodies and Interferon-β are some of the most popular drugs used in the treatment of multiple sclerosis. Monoclonal antibodies drug class segment are likely to retain the lead the multiple sclerosis drugs market during the forecast period and account for a market share of ~40% by the end of 2027.
New Multiple Sclerosis Medication in Research Pipeline Promises Better Results
Although there is no known cure for multiple sclerosis, the adoption of new medications to slow down the progression of multiple sclerosis and manage symptoms is on the rise. In the current scenario, research and development is playing a key role in the development of new treatments. Traditionally, disease-modifying therapies (DMTs) are the main type of medication used to treat multiple sclerosis. Players operating in the multiple sclerosis drugs market are focusing their efforts on gaining approval from the FDA for their newly developed drugs.
In recent times, the FDA has approved a range of disease-modifying therapies to treat different types of multiple sclerosis. Most recently, the FDA approved Fingolimod (Gilenya) to treat pediatric multiple sclerosis and glatiramer acetate injections (Glatopa). While new treatments and medications are receiving FDA approval, several other multiple sclerosis drugs are in the research pipeline and expected to enter the multiple sclerosis drugs market during the forecast period. For instance, a relatively recent phase III clinical trial revealed that siponimod, a potential multiple sclerosis drug, could reduce the relapse rate among individuals suffering from secondary progressive multiple sclerosis. Similarly, the findings from a recent phase II clinical trial suggested that ibudilast could potentially hamper the progression of disability in patients with multiple sclerosis.
Despite the onset of new oral medications, injectable multiple sclerosis drugs are expected to have a higher demand during the forecast period. Thus, in terms of route of administration, the parenteral segment of the multiple sclerosis drugs market is expected to reach a market value of ~US$ 12.7 Bn in 2020 and hold a market share of ~ 63% in the same year.
Expanding operations in future? To get the perfect launch ask for a custom report
The global multiple sclerosis drugs market is expected to grow at a CAGR of ~6% during the forecast period. The growth of the market can be primarily attributed to the significant rise in the number of research projects focusing on the discovery of new multiple sclerosis drugs with improved efficacy. Stakeholders should focus on gaining approval from the FDA for their newly developed multiple sclerosis drugs and simultaneously turn toward mergers and acquisitions to enhance their footprint in the current multiple sclerosis drugs market. Stakeholders should also focus on streamlining their distribution channels and explore opportunities within the e-Commerce sector.
Multiple Sclerosis Drugs Market: Overview
- This report analyzes the current and future prospects of the global multiple sclerosis drugs market. Rise in prevalence and incidence of multiple sclerosis across the globe, rich product pipeline, and increase in awareness about multiple sclerosis are the key factors projected to drive the multiple sclerosis drugs market during the forecast period.
- The report provides an elaborate executive summary, which comprises a snapshot of the various segments of the global multiple sclerosis drugs market. The report also provides information and data analysis of the multiple sclerosis drugs market with regards to segments based on drug class, disease type, route of administration, distribution channel, and region.
- The overview section of the report provides detailed qualitative analysis of drivers and restraints impacting the multiple sclerosis drugs market along with opportunities in the global market
- Additionally, the multiple sclerosis drugs market report includes company profiles and competitive matrix, which provide data about their business, product portfolio, and competitive landscape in the global multiple sclerosis drugs market
- The report includes data analysis on the multiple sclerosis drugs market attractiveness by region and segments
- The last section of the report provides quantitative and qualitative analysis on market share of key players operating in the multiple sclerosis drugs market. It elaborates the key competitive strategies adopted by the major industry players, thereby presenting a thorough understanding of the competitive scenario in the global multiple sclerosis drugs market.
Multiple Sclerosis Drugs Market: Key Segments
- In terms of drug class, the multiple sclerosis drugs market has been classified into interferon beta, sphingosine 1 phosphate receptor modulators, mixed polymers, NF-κB inhibitor, pyrimidine synthesis inhibitor, monoclonal antibodies, corticosteroids, adrenocorticotropic hormone, and others. The interferon beta segment held a major share of the multiple sclerosis drugs market in 2018. However, the monoclonal antibodies segment is anticipated to dominate the multiple sclerosis drugs market during the forecast period.
- In terms of disease type, the multiple sclerosis drugs market has been classified into relapsing-remitting MS (RRMS), primary-progressive MS (PPMS), secondary-progressive MS (SPMS), and progressive-relapsing MS (PRMS). The relapsing-remitting MS (RRMS) segment is expected to dominate the multiple sclerosis drugs market during the forecast period.
- Based on route of administration, the multiple sclerosis drugs market has been bifurcated into parenteral and oral. The parenteral segment is likely to expand at a higher CAGR during the forecast period, due to large patient pool with RRMS. About 75% to 85% of the population suffering from MS have RRMS.
- In terms of distribution channel, the multiple sclerosis drugs market has been categorized into hospital pharmacies, retail pharmacies & drug stores, and online pharmacies. The retail pharmacies & drug stores segment is projected to dominate the multiple sclerosis drugs market during the forecast period.
- The market size and forecast for each of these segments have been provided from 2017 to 2027. The CAGR of respective segment has also been provided for the forecast period from 2019 to 2027, considering 2018 as the base year.
Multiple Sclerosis Drugs Market: Regional Outlook
- In terms of region, the multiple sclerosis drugs market has been segmented into North America (U.S. and Canada), Europe (U.K., Germany, Spain, Italy, France, and Rest of Europe), Asia Pacific (China, India, Japan, Australia & New Zealand, and Rest of Asia Pacific), Latin America (Brazil, Mexico, and Rest of Latin America), and Middle East & Africa (GCC Countries, South Africa, and Rest of Middle East & Africa)
- The report provides market size and forecast for each region and countries/sub-regions from 2017 to 2027. Compound annual growth rates (CAGRs) of each of these regions and countries have also been provided for the forecast period from 2019 to 2027, considering 2018 as the base year. The multiple sclerosis drugs market study also covers the competitive scenario in these regions.
Companies Mentioned in Report
- Key players in the multiple sclerosis drugs market have been profiled based on key aspects such as company overview, product portfolio, financial overview, recent developments, and competitive business strategies
- Major companies profiled in the multiple sclerosis drugs market report are
- Bayer AG
- Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd.
- Novartis AG
- F. Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd.
- Celgene Corporation
- Acorda Therapeutics, Inc.
- Biogen, Inc.
- Actelion Pharmaceuticals (Johnson & Johnson)
- EMD Serono (Merck KGaA)
- AbbVie, Inc.
Multiple Sclerosis Drugs Market - Scope of the Report
TMR’S report on the multiple sclerosis drugs market studies the past as well as the current growth trends and opportunities, to gain valuable insights of the same indicators for the market over the forecast period from 2019 to 2027. The report provides the overall market revenue of the multiple sclerosis drugs market for the period 2017–2027, considering 2018 as the base year and 2027 as the forecast year. The report also provides the compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of the multiple sclerosis drugs market for the forecast period 2019–2027.
The report has been prepared after an extensive research. Primary research involved bulk of the research efforts, wherein analysts carried out interviews with industry leaders and opinion makers. Extensive secondary research involved referring to key players’ product literature, annual reports, press releases, and relevant documents to understand the multiple sclerosis drugs market.
Secondary research also includes Internet sources, statistical data from government agencies, websites, and trade associations. Analysts employed a combination of top-down and bottom-up approach to study various phenomena in the multiple sclerosis drugs market.
The report includes an elaborate executive summary, along with a snapshot of the growth behavior of various segments in the scope of the study. Moreover, the report sheds light on the changing competitive dynamics in the multiple sclerosis drugs market. These indices serve as valuable tools for existing market players as well as for entities interested in participating in the multiple sclerosis drugs market.
The report also delves into the competitive landscape of the multiple sclerosis drugs market. Key players operating in the multiple sclerosis drugs market have been identified and each one of these has been profiled for distinguishing business attributes. Company overview, financial standings, recent developments, and SWOT are some of the attributes of players in the multiple sclerosis drugs market that have been profiled in this report.
Key Questions Answered in Multiple Sclerosis Drugs Market Report
- How does the development of multiple sclerosis drugs provide the scope of growth in the multiple sclerosis drugs market?
- How alliances and partnerships between players are widening the scope of new line of treatment for multiple sclerosis?
- What are the revenue share projections of key segments under various criteria in the multiple sclerosis drugs market during the forecast period?
- Which segment is likely to register leading revenue until the end of the forecast period in 2027?
- How is the evolving healthcare system in developing countries of Asia Pacific making an impact on the overall multiple sclerosis drugs market?
Multiple Sclerosis Drugs Market - Research Objectives and Research Approach
The comprehensive report on the multiple sclerosis drugs market begins with an overview of the market, followed by the scope and objectives of this study. Following this, the report provides detailed explanation of the objectives behind this study and healthcare compliances laid down by accredited agencies in the purview of line of treatment of multiple sclerosis.
For reading comprehensibility, the report has been compiled in a chapter-wise layout, with each section further divided into small sections. The entire report comprises an exhaustive collection of graphs and tables that are appropriately interspersed in the entire compilation. Pictorial representation of actual and projected values of key segments is visually appealing to readers. This also allows comparison of the market shares of key segments in the past and at the end of the forecast period.
The report analyzes the multiple sclerosis drugs market, in terms of drug class, disease type, route of administration, distribution channel, and region. Key segments under each criteria have been studied at length, and the market share for each of these at the end of 2027 has been provided. Such valuable insights enable market stakeholders in making informed business decisions for investment in the multiple sclerosis drugs market.
Multiple Sclerosis Drugs Market – Segmentation
Sphingosine 1 Phosphate Receptor Modulators
Pyrimidine Synthesis Inhibitor
Relapsing-remitting MS (RRMS)
Primary-progressive MS (PPMS)
Secondary-progressive MS (SPMS)
Progressive-relapsing MS (PRMS)
Route of Administration
Retail Pharmacies & Drug Stores
Middle East & Africa