Pemetrexed Market: Introduction
- Pemetrexed, marketed under the brand, Alimta, by Eli Lilly and Company is used as a medication for the treatment of non-small cell lung cancer and mesothelioma. In 2004, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration granted approval to Eli Lilly and Company for pemetrexed for the treatment of malignant pleural mesothelioma. Subsequently, in 2008, the company received another approval from FDA for the treatment of advanced and metastatic non-small cell lung cancer.
- Pemetrexed is chemically similar to folic acid functions by inhibiting three enzymes, namely thymidylate synthase (TS), dihydrofolate reductase (DHFR), and glycinamide ribonucleotide formyltransferase. These enzymes are primarily employed in purine and pyrimidine synthesis. Pemetrexed prevents the formation of DNA and RNA by inhibiting the formation of precursor purine and pyrimidine nucleotides. The inhibition of DNA and RNA slows down the growth of cancer cells. Pemetrexed is utilized in combination with certain drugs, as the first treatment for a certain type of non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) that has started to spread to nearby tissues or body parts.
Key Drivers, Restraints, and Opportunities of Global Pemetrexed Market
- The market for pemetrexed is expanding at a robust pace owing to a surge in intake of chemotherapy drugs, rising demand for cancer treatment, and high prevalence of lung cancer. According to The American Cancer Society, about 235,760 new cases of lung cancer are estimated to be recorded in the U.S in 2021. Moreover, about 131,880 deaths from lung cancer are estimated in the U.S. Surge in the prevalence of lung cancer is estimated to boost the demand for pemetrexed as medication for the treatment of cancer.
- Several key players have also received regulatory approval for launching generic versions of pemetrexed. The approval of novel indications of pemetrexed is also anticipated to augment the adoption of the drug, which in turn is projected to drive the pemetrexed market.
- A surge in R&D activities and the launching of new advanced therapy and products for lung cancer as well as the presence of promising government initiatives are also anticipated to create opportunities for the pemetrexed market during the forecast period. However, the high cost associated with development of chemotherapy drugs is expected to hinder the market.
- The COVID 19 virus spread to almost all countries worldwide. There was an imposition of a travel ban and shutdown of manufacturing units, offices & marketplaces by governments to address the COVID-19 outbreak. The impact of COVID-19 has also affected the pemetrexed market in 2020. The pandemic has impacted the global economy by directly affecting production and demand and by creating supply chain and market disruption.
North America to Capture Major Share of Global Pemetrexed Market
- North America is expected to account for a major share of the global pemetrexed market owing to the presence of key market players and the rising prevalence of non-small cell lung cancer
- The pemetrexed market in Asia Pacific is anticipated to expand at a rapid pace during the forecast period due to a surge in the demand for lung cancer treatment and rising R&D activities in the region
Key Players Operating in Global Pemetrexed Market
The key market players have been focusing on increasing R&D activities and launching new products for specific applications. Major players operating in the global pemetrexed market are listed below:
- Eli Lilly and Company
- Stada Arzneimittel AG
- Eagle Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- FRESENIUS KABI
- Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd.
- Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories
Global Pemetrexed Market: Research Scope
Global Pemetrexed Market, by Strength
Global Pemetrexed Market, by Distribution Channel
- Hospital Pharmacies
- Retail Pharmacies
- Online Pharmacies
Global Pemetrexed Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Australia & New Zealand
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- GCC Countries
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.