Radiopharmaceutical Theranostics Market
Radiopharmaceutical Theranostics Market (Radioisotope: Technetium-99, Gallium-68, Iodine-131, Iodine-123, 18F, Y-90, Lutetium (Lu) 177, Copper (Cu) 67, Copper (Cu) 64, and Others; Application: Oncology, Cardiology, and Others; Source: Nuclear Reactors and Cyclotrons; End User: Hospitals, Academic & Research Institutes, and Others; and Approach: Targeted Therapeutic [Rx] and Companion Diagnostic [DX]) - Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends, and Forecast, 2021-2031
- 257 Pages
Radio-labeled Analogs of Nuclear Medicine to Facilitate Antiviral COVID-19 Drug Development
The emergence of the COVID-19 outbreak has become a threat to the global health. This has compelled stakeholders in the radiopharmaceutical theranostics market to increase their R&D in nuclear medicine techniques that are found to be useful for functioning imaging of physiological processes at the cellular or molecular level. Companies are expanding in treatment approaches based on targeted delivery of therapeutic radionuclides.
Advancements in radiolabeling methods can significantly improve the accessibility of radiopharmaceuticals for in vivo molecular imaging or targeted radionuclide therapy. Such trends are anticipated to boost the growth of the radiopharmaceutical theranostics market during the ongoing pandemic. Stakeholders are expected to collaborate with researchers to describe how radio-labeled analogs of nuclear medicine could facilitate antiviral drug development.
To know the scope of our report Get a Sample on Radiopharmaceutical Theranostics Market
Integrating PET & MRI Modalities Challenging Due to Possible Interference
Nuclear medicines have led to the popularity of radiopharmaceuticals that carry the ability to destroy specific diseased cells with high-energy-emitting radionuclides. However, it has been found that integrating positron emission tomography (PET) and MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) modalities is challenging, as there is a possibility for interference between both the modalities. Hence, stakeholders are integrating PET detectors and MR scanners to obtain PET and MR images simultaneously.
Companies in the radiopharmaceutical theranostics market are increasing the availability of radioactive medicines through oral, intravenous, and interstitial route to diagnose malignancy. The high prevalence of cancer is acting as a key growth driver of the radiopharmaceutical theranostics market, as radioactive medicines have the ability to destroy cancerous cells by emitting radiation when it reaches the target cell.
Get a glimpse of the in-depth analysis through our Report Brochure
U.S., Europe Attract Investments to Increase R&D in Radiopharmaceuticals
Radiopharmaceuticals are generating major oncology deals globally. A €182 Mn IPO was announced in June 2020, where the U.S.-based Fusion Pharma was recently recruited by pharma giant AstraZeneca to co-develop radiotherapies for cancer. Apart from major investments taking place in the U.S., stakeholders in the radiopharmaceutical theranostics market are witnessing a high level of interest and activity in Europe and the Far East. In September 2020, the Belgian company Camel-IDS rebranded as Precirix has advanced its lead candidate radiopharmaceutical into phase I/II.
Since responses with radiopharmaceutical agents typically do not require many months of therapy, it is being preferred over chemotherapy and immunotherapy. Radioactive iodine is emerging as the gold standard to image the spread of thyroid tumors.
Cerenkov Radiation Energy Approach Targets Cancer Cells Effectively
In a research presented at the Society of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging’s 2021 Virtual Annual Meeting, a novel cancer treatment approach is being publicized for utilizing the Cerenkov radiation energy to target and destroy cancer cells more effectively. Companies in the radiopharmaceutical theranostics market are taking cues from such insights to use light from decaying radiopharmaceuticals, known as Cerenkov luminescence, as an energy source to activate semiconducting polymer nanoparticles that kill cancer cells.
Cerenkov luminescence is being proposed as an internal energy source for cancer therapy in the radiopharmaceutical theranostics market. This light source can be amplified with semiconducting polymers, which greatly increases its potential to target and destroy cancer cells.
Growing Incidence of Non-communicable Diseases in Pakistan Create Revenue Opportunities
The Nuclear Medicine Oncology and Radiotherapy Centre (INOR) in Abbottabad and the Institute of Nuclear Medicine and Oncology (INMOL) in Lahore, Pakistan, are now developing novel radiopharmaceuticals for use in theranostic procedures, using equipment and training provided through the IAEA’s technical cooperation (TC) program. This is evident since non-communicable diseases such as cardiac dysfunction, cancer, and neurological disorders are concerning national health authorities in the country.
Since the incidence of non-communicable diseases is estimated to double in the upcoming years in Pakistan, theranostic interventions are gaining popularity for accurate diagnosis of cancer in the radiopharmaceutical theranostics market.
Expanding operations in future? To get the perfect launch ask for a custom report
Based on the continuing threat by the ongoing coronaviruses pandemic and other pathogens, it is anticipated that nuclear medicines hold strong potential in the development of antiviral drug and treatment. The radiopharmaceutical theranostics market is projected to expand at a robust CAGR of 11% from 2021 to 2031. The photodynamic therapy helps activate nanomaterials for the cancer therapy. However, this technique is limited by the ability of external light to penetrate tissues. Hence, companies should increase their R&D in Cerenkov luminescence, which is spontaneously produced from certain radiopharmaceuticals as the decay in the body. This technique has been proposed as an internal energy source for the cancer therapy.
Radiopharmaceutical Theranostics Market: Overview
- Nuclear medicine imaging is primarily based on the principle of using radioactive isotopes attached to specific molecules (i.e., radiopharmaceutical agents or radiotracers) to examine key biologic processes, including disease pathophysiology. These drugs can be administered orally (in tablet form), intravenously (into a patient's vein), or interstitially (via the skin) (inserted into a cavity in the body). Radiopharmacology is a specialty of radiation treatment; however, regulations require that the drugs be delivered by a radiopharmacist, a medical professional who specializes in nuclear medicine.
- Every radiopharmaceutical is designed to travel to a different location in the body. When it reaches its location, it will release radioactive substances that will kill the tumor cells. Researchers have found radiopharmaceuticals that can target various malignancies such as colorectal cancer, prostate cancer, heart disease, thyroid cancer, etc.
- After decades of neglect by big pharma, radiopharmaceuticals are now creating significant cancer deals across the globe. This could result in an increase in cancer drugs that can be used as both therapies and diagnostics, known as ‘theranostics‘.
- Recently, there has been significant activity from companies developing drugs employing radioactivity to destroy tumors. Telix Pharmaceuticals, an Australia-based company, has licensed its portfolio to China Grand Pharma for EUR 242 Mn (AUD 400 Mn).
- Vect-Horus is a newcomer to the theranostics field, primarily supplying peptide vectors for drug delivery. With a recent EUR 6.7 Mn fundraising, the company is ready to begin phase I development of a theranostics glioblastoma medication with the U.S.-based partner RadioMedix in 2021.
- Hence, increase in investments by key players in developing novel theranostics agents is expected to fuel the growth of the global market
Market Segmentation: Radiopharmaceutical Theranostics Market
- In terms of radioisotope, the global radiopharmaceutical theranostics market has been classified into technetium-99, gallium-68, iodine-131, iodine-123, fluorine-18, yttrium-90, lutetium (Lu) 177, copper (Cu) 67, copper (Cu) 64, and others
- Based on application, the global radiopharmaceutical theranostics market has been categorized into oncology, cardiology, and others
- In terms of source, the global radiopharmaceutical theranostics market has been bifurcated into nuclear reactors and cyclotrons
- Based on approach, the global radiopharmaceutical theranostics market has been segregated into targeted therapeutic (Rx) and companion diagnostic (DX)
- In terms of end user, the global radiopharmaceutical theranostics market has been divided into academic & research institutes, hospitals, and others
- Each of the segments has been analyzed in detail for market trends, recent trends, and developments, drivers, restraints, opportunities, and useful insights. The radiopharmaceutical theranostics market report provides current and expected revenue (US$ Mn) for each of these segments from 2021 to 2031, considering 2020 as the base year. The compound annual growth rate (percentage CAGR) has been provided for each segment and market from 2021 to 2031, along with market size estimations.
Regional Overview: Radiopharmaceutical Theranostics Market
- In terms of region, the global radiopharmaceutical theranostics market has been segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa. The regions have been divided into major countries and sub-regions.
- North America dominated the global market in 2020. High prevalence of neuroendocrine tumors (NETs) among the population drives the radiopharmaceutical theranostics market in North America. Over 12,000 people in the U.S. are diagnosed with neuroendocrine tumors each year. The sensitivity and specificity of Ga-68 and Lu-177 as a theranostics pair have been evaluated in a number of clinical trials. This factor is expected to fuel the growth of the market in the region. Moreover, well-established healthcare infrastructure and high healthcare spending are likely to augment the radiopharmaceutical theranostics market in North America.
- The current and expected market revenue (US$ Mn) of these regional markets and their major countries have been provided in the report from 2021 to 2031, with their CAGRs from 2021 to 2031
- The study also offers a list of recommendations, highlights, and useful insights of the global radiopharmaceutical theranostics market, which would help new companies willing to enter the market and existing companies to increase market shares and in the decision-making process
- The radiopharmaceutical theranostics market report concludes with the company profiles section, which includes key information about major players in the global radiopharmaceutical theranostics market
- Leading players analyzed in the report include
- Nihon Medi-Physics
- ITM Isotopen Technologien München AG
- Advanced Accelerator Applications
- Telix Pharmaceuticals
- GE Healthcare
- Theragnostics Ltd.
- NuView Life Sciences
- Jubilant Pharma Limited
- Lantheus Holdings, Inc.
- Curium Pharma
- Bayer AG
- Clarity Pharmaceuticals
- Each of these players has been profiled in the radiopharmaceutical theranostics market report based on parameters such as company overview, financial overview, business strategies, application portfolio, business segments, and recent developments
Radiopharmaceutical Theranostics Market – Scope of Report
TMR’s report on the global radiopharmaceutical theranostics market studies the past as well as the current growth trends and opportunities to gain valuable insights of the indicators of the market during the forecast period from 2021 to 2031. The report provides revenue of the global radiopharmaceutical theranostics market for the period of 2017–2031, considering 2020 as the base year and 2031 as the forecast year. The report also provides the compound annual growth rate (CAGR %) of the global radiopharmaceutical theranostics market from 2021 to 2031.
The report has been prepared after an extensive research. Primary research involved bulk of the research efforts, wherein analysts carried out interviews with key opinion leaders, industry leaders, and opinion makers. Secondary research involved referring to key players’ product literature, annual reports, press releases, and relevant documents to understand the radiopharmaceutical theranostics market.
Secondary research also included Internet sources, statistical data from government agencies, websites, and trade associations. Analysts employed a combination of top-down and bottom-up approaches to study various attributes of the global radiopharmaceutical theranostics market.
The report includes an elaborate executive summary, along with a snapshot of the growth behavior of various segments included in the scope of the study. Moreover, the report sheds light on the changing competitive dynamics in the global radiopharmaceutical theranostics market. These serve as valuable tools for existing market players as well as for entities interested in participating in the global radiopharmaceutical theranostics market.
The report delves into the competitive landscape of the global radiopharmaceutical theranostics market. Key players operating in the global radiopharmaceutical theranostics market have been identified and each one of these is profiled in terms of various attributes. Company overview, financial standings, recent developments, and SWOT are the attributes of players in the global radiopharmaceutical theranostics market profiled in this report.
Key Questions Answered in Radiopharmaceutical Theranostics Market Report
- What is the sales/revenue generated by the radiopharmaceutical theranostics market across all regions during the forecast period?
- What are the opportunities in the global radiopharmaceutical theranostics market?
- What are the major drivers, restraints, and threats in the market?
- Which regional market is set to expand at the fastest CAGR during the forecast period?
- Which segment is expected to generate the highest revenue globally in 2031?
- Which segment is projected to expand at the highest CAGR during the forecast period?
- What are the market positions of different companies operating in the global market?
Radiopharmaceutical Theranostics Market – Research Objectives and Research Approach
The comprehensive report on the global radiopharmaceutical theranostics market begins with an overview, followed by the scope and objectives of the study. The report provides detailed explanation of the objectives behind this study and key vendors and distributors operating in the market and regulatory scenario for approval of products.
For reading comprehensibility, the report has been compiled in a chapter-wise layout, with each section divided into smaller ones. The report comprises an exhaustive collection of graphs and tables that are appropriately interspersed. Pictorial representation of actual and projected values of key segments is visually appealing to readers. This also allows comparison of the market shares of key segments in the past and at the end of the forecast period.
The report analyzes the global radiopharmaceutical theranostics market in terms of radioisotope, application, source, end user, approach, and region. Key segments under each criterion are studied at length, and the market share for each of these at the end of 2031 has been provided. Such valuable insights enable market stakeholders in making informed business decisions for investment in the global radiopharmaceutical theranostics market.
Radiopharmaceutical Theranostics Market – Segmentation
TMR’s study on the global radiopharmaceutical theranostics market includes information divided into six segments: radioisotope, application, source, end user, approach, and region. Changing industry trends and other crucial market dynamics associated with these segments of the global radiopharmaceutical theranostics market are discussed in detail.