Atopic Dermatitis Drugs Market
Atopic Dermatitis Drugs Market (Drug Class: Corticosteroids, PDE4 Inhibitors, Biologics, Skin Barrier Emollients, CNI Immunosuppressants, Others; Distribution Channel: Hospital Pharmacies, Retail Pharmacies, Online Pharmacies) - Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends, and Forecast 2019 - 2027
- 145 Pages
Exponential Growth of Biologic Drugs Favor Market Growth
According to a study published by BioMed Central, U.K - an electronic-only medical journal, it was found that, on a global level, ~15 - 20% children and ~1 - 3% adults suffer from atopic dermatitis (AD). The growing prevalence of this disease has triggered the demand for efficacious drugs in the atopic dermatitis drugs market.
Biologic drugs are projected for exponential growth during the forecast period. In 2018, biologic drugs accounted for the highest market share of ~42%, and continue to dominate the market share with a projected value of ~77% in 2027. Thus, it is evident that, healthcare companies in the atopic dermatitis drugs market are increasing research & development activities to improve the efficacy of biologic drugs in order to provide instant relief for patients.
Since atopic dermatitis has a high risk of recurrence, healthcare companies in the atopic dermatitis drugs market are identifying drugs that improve the functioning of the immune system by helping to fight off bacteria and viruses. For instance, in August 2019, Sanofi - a French multinational pharmaceutical company, announced the approval of Dupixent® (dupilumab) - a biologic drug to treat moderate-to-severe atopic dermatitis, by the European Commission.
To know the scope of our report Get a Sample on Atopic Dermatitis Drugs Market
Topical PDE4 Inhibitor Drugs Emerge as Non-steroid-based Option
Healthcare companies in the atopic dermatitis drugs market are developing new drug agents to expand the treatment options for the disease. They are developing new moisturizers that confer skin-barrier protection, biologics, and lipid-replenishing topical drugs. Manufacturers are making these treatment options available at retail and hospital pharmacies.
After several clinical trials, healthcare companies are introducing efficacious ointments that provide result-oriented outcome in patients. In 2027, PDE4 inhibitor (Phosphodiesterase Type 4 inhibitor) drugs will hold the second-highest revenue after biologic drugs in the atopic dermatitis drugs market. On that account, healthcare companies are propelling the use of nonsteroidal topical ointments that prevent the release of cyclic adenosine monophosphate (cAMP), which is one of the major causes that aggravates atopic dermatitis.
Get a glimpse of the in-depth analysis through our Report Brochure
Stakeholders in the atopic dermatitis drugs market are gaining the faith of patients, as nonsteroidal topical ointments are considered safer and better than topical corticosteroids, especially for younger patients. Due to the high prevalence of atopic dermatitis in children, healthcare providers in the atopic dermatitis drugs landscape are observing a shift in consumer preference, as caregivers are hesitant to opt for steroid-based options.
Experimental Biologics Reduce Side Effects of Atopic Dermatitis Drugs
Although topical treatment drugs are projected for growth in the atopic dermatitis drugs market, in many cases, these treatments have been ineffective in many patients. As a result, patients are advised to opt for traditional immunosuppressant medications such as cyclosporin (CYA) and methotrexate (MTX). These immunosuppressants show effectiveness in AD, but their routine use is demonstrated with incompetent disease responses and other adverse effects in patients. Also, there is a risk of renal, hepatic, and other toxicities in body organs that adversely affect the healing period of these treatment options.
Thereupon, healthcare companies are approaching experimental biologics to prevent the toxicity and improve the efficacy of atopic dermatitis drugs. They should focus on preventing skin inflammation and flares while minimizing the side effects of these drugs.
Expanding operations in future? To get the perfect launch ask for a custom report
Analysts’ Viewpoint on Atopic Dermatitis Drugs Market
Although the trend of online pharmacies is gaining momentum in the atopic dermatitis drugs market, caregivers and patients have more faith in retail pharmacies. This is expected to manifest during the forecast period, as the retail pharmacies sector will grow from ~US$ 1.3 billion in 2018 to ~US$ 15.3 billion by 2027. However, the side effects of certain classes of atopic dermatitis drugs is one of the major challenges for stakeholders in the supply chain. On that account, market players should opt for a multidimensional approach, and educate parents and healthcare providers regarding the availability of pharmacological therapies. Also, healthcare companies should develop new drug agents in biologics that gain FDA (Food and Drug Administration) approval.
Atopic Dermatitis Drugs Market: Overview
- According to the latest report published by Transparency Market Research on the global atopic dermatitis drugs market for the historical period of 2017 and forecast period of 2019 to 2027, rise in investments toward research & development and novel pipeline drugs are projected to boost the growth of the global atopic dermatitis drugs market during the forecast period.
- The global atopic dermatitis drugs market generated ~US$ 2.2 Bn in revenue in 2018, and is expected to expand at a CAGR of ~27% during the forecast period.
Novel Pipeline Drugs and Rise in Incidence Rate of Atopic Dermatitis: Key Drivers
- Dermatological disorders differ across the globe, based on geographic location, climatic conditions, socioeconomic status, lifestyles, age, gender, heredity, and personal habits.
- According to the World Health Organization (WHO), over 900 million people were affected with skin diseases in 2017, and five common skin disorders, which include atopic dermatitis, accounted for around 80% of the skin disorders.
- The high prevalence and substantial rise in incidence rate of atopic dermatitis across the globe is the key factor driving the atopic dermatitis drugs market. Atopic dermatitis, a common and chronic inflammatory skin disease, affects 15% to 20% children and 1% to 3% adults across the world, every year.
- Leading pharmaceutical companies strive to address these unmet medical needs through new product developments.
- AbbVie Inc. is planning to launch Upadacitinib, which is a JAK inhibitor, by 2021, for the treatment of atopic dermatitis. Currently, phase 2 clinical data in atopic dermatitis supports advancement toward phase 3.
- New approvals and commercialization of novel therapeutic drugs under clinical trial studies are projected to drive the global atopic dermatitis drug market during the forecast period.
Biologics Drug Class Leads Market
- The biologics segment dominated the global atopic dermatitis drugs market in 2018, and is expected to account for a major market share during the forecast period, owing to an increase in the preference of patients for biologics, since they are effective. Anticipated launches and adoption of biologic drugs between 2019 and 2022 is a key trend that is expected to propel the biologics segment during the forecast period.
- The PDE4 inhibitors segment in the global atopic dermatitis drugs market is projected to expand at significant CAGR during the forecast period. Rise in the prevalence of eczema is a driving factor that is expected to propel the segment during the forecast period.
- Atopic dermatitis is one of the most common types of eczema. It is a chronic, inflammatory skin disorder, with a prevalence as high as 20% in children and 1% to 3% in adults.
North America to Dominate Global Atopic Dermatitis Drugs Market
- North America accounted for a major share of the global atopic dermatitis drugs market in 2018, followed by Europe. Early adoption of biologics, favorable healthcare reimbursement policies in the U.S. and Canada, and rapid increase in market penetration of new players with novel therapeutic drugs are likely to drive the atopic dermatitis drugs market in North America.
- Europe was also an attractive market for atopic dermatitis drugs in 2018. Economic revival in the European Union has resulted in enhanced healthcare expenditure, and hence, increased adoption of biologics and PD34 inhibitors in the healthcare industry in the region is likely to drive the market. Further, well-established healthcare facilities, new product approvals, and commercialization and favorable medical reimbursement policies are anticipated to drive the market in the region.
- The atopic dermatitis drugs market in Asia Pacific is estimated to grow at a faster pace than other regions during the forecast period, due to increase in the focus on the development of healthcare infrastructure by public as well as private hospitals, along with rise in the demand for novel therapeutics among a significant patient population. Additionally, wide scope of development and rapid urbanization offer significant opportunities to emerging as well as established players in the region. This, in turn, drives the market in Asia Pacific.
Global Atopic Dermatitis Drugs Market: Competitive Landscape
- Detailed profiles of the manufacturers of atopic dermatitis drugs have been provided in the report to evaluate their key product offerings, financials, business strategies, and recent developments.
- Key players operating in the global atopic dermatitis drugs market include
- Mylan N.V.
- Pfizer, Inc.
- LEO Pharma A/S
- Novartis AG
- Bausch Health
- Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd.
Global Atopic Dermatitis Drugs Market: Key Developments
Major manufacturers in the global atopic dermatitis drugs market are adopting research collaborations, purchase and distribution agreements, and new product development strategies to strengthen product portfolios and geographic presence in the international market. Key developments in the global market are:
- In June 2016, Pfizer acquired Anacor Pharmaceuticals, Inc. for US$ 4.9 Bn. The acquisition was aimed to get access to non-steroidal topical gel crisaborole (Euricsa) for the treatment of mild to moderate eczema.
- In August 2018, JW Pharmaceutical and LEO Pharma A/S signed a licensing agreement for JWP’s novel atopic dermatitis drug candidate, JW1601, under which, LEO Pharma, a global leader in medical dermatology, gained exclusive rights to develop and commercialize JW1601, globally, excluding South Korea.
Atopic Dermatitis Drugs Market: Scope of the Study
A new study on the global atopic dermatitis drugs market was published by Transparency Market Research (TMR). It presents a wealth of information on key market dynamics, including the drivers, market trends, and challenges, as well as the structure of the market. TMR’s study offers valuable information about the atopic dermatitis drugs market, to illustrate how the market is expected to expand during the forecast period of 2019–2027.
Key indicators of market growth, which include value chain as well as supply chain analysis, and compound annual growth rate (CAGR), are elucidated in TMR’s study in a comprehensive manner. This data can help readers interpret the quantitative growth aspects of the market for the forecast period.
An extensive analysis on leading market players’ business strategies is also featured in TMR’s study on the atopic dermatitis drugs market. This can help readers understand the principal factors to foresee growth in the market. In this study, readers can also find specific data on the qualitative and quantitative growth avenues for the market, which is expected to guide market players in making apt decisions in the future.
Key Questions Answered in TMR’s Atopic Dermatitis Drugs Market Study
- What is the scope of growth of atopic dermatitis drug companies in the pharmaceutical drugs sector?
- What is the estimated Y-o-Y growth of the market from 2019 to 2027?
- What is the influence of the changing trends in technologies on the market?
- Is North America likely to continue to remain the most profitable regional market for atopic dermatitis drug providers?
- Which factors are expected to hamper the market during the forecast period?
- Which are the leading companies in the global market?
A unique research methodology is utilized by TMR to conduct comprehensive research on the growth of the market, and arrive at conclusions on the future growth prospects of the market. This research methodology is a combination of primary and secondary research, which helps analysts warrant the accuracy and reliability of the drawn conclusions.
Secondary resources referred to by analysts during the production of the atopic dermatitis drugs market report include statistics from company annual reports, SEC filings, company websites, World Bank database, investor presentations, regulatory databases, government publications, and industry white papers. Analysts have also interviewed senior managers, product portfolio managers, CEOs, VPs, and market intelligence managers, who contributed to the production of TMR’s study on the market, as a primary resource.
These primary and secondary resources provided exclusive information during the interviews, which serves as a validation from the market industry leaders. Access to an extensive internal repository and external proprietary databases allows for this report to address specific details and questions about the atopic dermatitis drugs market with accuracy. The study also uses a top-down approach to assess the numbers for each segment, and a bottom-up approach to counter-validate them. This has helped in making TMR’s estimates on the future prospects of the market more reliable and accurate.
Segmentation of the Atopic Dermatitis Drugs Market
TMR’s study on the atopic dermatitis drugs market includes information divided into three sections - drug class, distribution channel, and region. Changing industry trends and other crucial market dynamics associated with these sections of the atopic dermatitis drugs market are discussed in detail.
Skin Barrier Emollients
Middle East & Africa