PCSK9 Inhibitors Market: Introduction
- Proprotein convertase subtilisin kexin type 9 (PCSK9) inhibitors are defined as medications that have been developed to lower cholesterol levels
- PCSK9 is a protein formed in the liver. Increase in level of PCSK9 leads to high cholesterol. Hence, PCSK9 inhibitors have been developed to control the PSCK9 level.
- PCSK9 binds to the low-density lipoprotein receptors (LDL) in the body, which prevents the removal of LDL from the blood, leading to increase in the level of bad cholesterol or LDL the in blood. At this stage, a PCSK9 inhibitor is used to block the PCSK9 enzyme, which increases the number of LDL receptors that can remove the LDL from the blood.
Key Drivers, Restraints, and Opportunities of Global PCSK9 Inhibitors Market
- Rise in prevalence of heart diseases due to high level of cholesterol drives the demand for PCSK9 inhibitors. According to the World Health Organization, around 17.9 million people are affected and succumb to cardiovascular diseases every year. Increase in incidence of heart attack and early heart diseases is a major factor driving the global PCSK9 inhibitors market.
- Surge in geriatric population with high cholesterol increases the prevalence of heart diseases due to sedentary lifestyles. This is expected to drive the global PCSK9 inhibitors market.
- However, high cost of PCSK9 inhibitor treatment is likely to hamper the growth of the global market
North America to Capture Major Share of Global PCSK9 Inhibitors Market
- In terms of region, the global PCSK9 inhibitors market can be segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- North America is projected to account for major share of the global PCSK9 inhibitors market during the forecast period due to presence of well-established companies that are developing and providing PCSK9 inhibitors. According to the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, around 805,000 people in the U.S. have a heart attack every year. This increases the need of medicines such as PCSK9 inhibitors to reduce the cholesterol level and prevent heart diseases at an early stage.
- Europe is a prominent market for PCSK9 inhibitors due to enhanced health care processes and better health care policies and implementation of new health care procedures to reduce the risk of heart diseases. Favorable reimbursement policies in developed countries such as Germany and the U.K. and established regulatory framework focusing on patient safety and high treatment efficacy standards are expected to fuel the growth of the PCSK9 inhibitors market in the region.
- The PCSK9 inhibitors market in Asia Pacific is expected to grow at a rapid pace during the forecast period owing to improving health care infrastructure and increase in awareness about heart disease treatment. Moreover, surge in geriatric population with heart problems due to sedentary lifestyles is likely to propel the market in the region.
Key Players Operating in Global PCSK9 Inhibitors Market
The global PCSK9 inhibitors market is highly consolidated due to the presence of small number of key players. These players hold major share in their respective regions. Growth strategies adopted by leading players are projected to drive the global PCSK9 inhibitors market.
Major players operating in the global PCSK9 inhibitors market are:
- Acrobiosystems, Inc.
- Pfizer, Inc.
- Eli Lily
- Novartis AG
- F. Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd.
- Regeneron Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- Other prominent players
Global PCSK9 Inhibitors Market: Research Scope
Global PCSK9 Inhibitors Market, by Type
- Repatha (Evolocumab)
- Praluent (Alirocumab)
Global PCSK9 Inhibitors Market, by Application
- Cardiovascular Disease
- High Cholesterol
- Familial Hypercholesterolaemia (FH)
Global PCSK9 Inhibitors Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Australia & New Zealand
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- GCC Countries
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
Interested in this report?
Get a FREE Brochure now!