Parenteral Medication of Spasticity Treatment: Introduction
- Spasticity is a condition in which muscles stiffen or tighten, preventing normal fluid movement. The muscles remain contracted and resist being stretched, thus affecting movement, speech, and gait.
- Spasticity is generally caused by damage or disruption to the areas of the brain and spinal cord that are responsible for controlling muscle and stretch reflexes. These disruptions can be due to an imbalance in the inhibitory and excitatory signals sent to the muscles, causing them to lock in place.
- Parenteral treatment for spasticity includes botulinum toxin injection and phenol/alcohol injection. More effective methods of treatment for spasticity have still not been well-developed.
Key Drivers of Global Parenteral Medication of Spasticity Treatment Market
- Increase in number of patients of spasticity associated with multiple sclerosis and spinal cord injury is anticipated to fuel the demand for therapeutics and consequently, drive the spasticity treatment market during the forecast period. According The National Center for Biotechnology Information, spasticity affects more than 12 million people worldwide. More than 500,000 people in the U.S. are estimated to suffer from upper limb spasticity.
- According to National Multiple Sclerosis Society, nearly 1 million people in the U.S. are living with multiple sclerosis, and spasticity occurs in up to 84% of multiple sclerosis patients.
- Data suggest that about 65% to 78% of the SCI population have some amount of spasticity, and it is more common in cervical (neck) than thoracic (chest) and lumbar (lower back) injuries
- Ongoing clinical trials for spasticity treatment, drugs, pipeline products, and safety and efficacy studies have increased in the last few years. For instance, Revance Therapeutics, Inc. has an innovative product, i.e. Daxibotulinumtoxin A, for Injection in phase II for the treatment of upper limb spasticity.
Botulinum Toxin Injection Segment to be Highly Promising
- Based on product type, the global parenteral medication of spasticity treatment market can be segmented into botulinum toxin injection and phenol/alcohol injection. The botulinum toxin injection segment can be further classified into Botox, Myobloc, Dysport, and others.
- The botulinum toxin injection segment accounted for a prominent share of the global parenteral medication of spasticity treatment market in 2019. This segment is expected to dominate the parenteral medication of spasticity treatment market due to an increase in use of Botox, Myobloc, and Dysport in the treatment of spasticity.
- Botulinum toxin products, such as Botox, are known to create an 88% improvement in stance, 77% improved gait speed, 88% improved joint positions. Additionally, strong botulinum toxin product pipeline is likely to drive the segment during the forecast period.
Hospital Pharmacies to be Most Promising Segment
- In terms of distribution channel, the global parenteral medication of spasticity treatment market can be divided into hospital pharmacies, retail pharmacies, and online pharmacies. Hospital pharmacies was a prominent segment, in terms of revenue, in 2019. It is anticipated to expand significantly during the forecast period.
- Expansion of healthcare infrastructure and increase in availability of all treatment options at one place are anticipated to boost the hospital pharmacies segment
- Increase in number of patients with spasticity associated multiple sclerosis and spinal cord injury who require hospital visits fuels the hospital pharmacies segment
North America to Dominate Global Parenteral Medication of Spasticity Treatment Market
- In terms of region, the global parenteral medication of spasticity treatment market can be categorized into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- North America dominated the global parenteral medication of spasticity treatment market in 2019. It is expected to maintain its leading position during the forecast period. Dominance of the region can be attributed to an increase in patients with multiple sclerosis and spinal cord injury. Spasticity is commonly witnessed in multiple sclerosis and spinal cord injury patients. According to National Spinal Cord Injury Statistical Center, around 288,000 persons suffer from spinal cord injury, this range varies from 247,000 to 358,000 persons.
- The market in Asia Pacific is projected to expand at a significantly high growth rate during the forecast period, owing to an increase in prevalence of multiple sclerosis and spinal cord injury, and strokes in emerging countries such as India and China
Key Manufacturers Operating in Global Market
The global parenteral medication of spasticity treatment market was highly fragmented in 2019. Key manufacturers operating in the global market are:
- Allergan plc
- Revance Therapeutics, Inc.
- Ipsen Pharma
- GlaxoSmithKline plc
- Edge Pharma
Parenteral Medication of Spasticity Treatment Market: Research Scope
Parenteral Medication of Spasticity Treatment Market, by Product Type
- Botulinum Toxin
- Phenol Block
Parenteral Medication of Spasticity Treatment Market, by Distribution Channel
- Hospital Pharmacies
- Retail Pharmacies
- Online Pharmacies
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.