Industrial Remote Terminal Unit Market: Overview
- A Remote Terminal Unit (RTU) is an industrial control system that is microprocessor-based. The system is used in industrial control systems (ICS) to connect various hardware to distributed control systems (DCS) or supervisory control and data acquisition (SCADA).
- RTU monitors both the digital and analog field parameters and transmits data to a SCADA Master Station. It runs setup software to connect data input streams to data output streams, define communication protocols, and troubleshoot installation problems in the field.
- RTUs also manage connections to remote or local controls, and hence are also known as remote units of telecontrol or remote units of telemetry. RTUs are a part of systems that are used in several processes including petrochemical (oil) and refineries, nuclear power plants, agriculture, quality control, chemical plants, sewage treatment plants, food processing, automobile manufacturing, pharmaceutical manufacturing, and water treatment plants.
Key Drivers and Restraints of Industrial Remote Terminal Unit market
- Rapid increase in power consumption across the globe has augmented the development of new capacity additions to cater to the rising demand. Therefore, increase in power infrastructure is estimated to boost the usage of RTUs to increase efficiency of the power transmission & distribution network during the forecast period.
- Moreover, a rise in the number of electric vehicles and integration of renewable energy to the grid has created a huge load on existing power transmission & distribution assets. Consequently, conventional grids are being converted to smart grids. Globally, several smart grid projects are being installed to improve the power grid infrastructure. Furthermore, the development of smart grid projects is anticipated to increase the demand for SCADA systems, thus driving the intelligent remote terminal unit market.
- Higher cost of installation and maintenance services is projected to hamper the industrial remote terminal unit market during the forecast period.
Global Industrial Remote Terminal Unit Market: Segmentation
- The global industrial remote terminal unit market can be segmented based on product and end-user
- In terms of type, the global industrial remote terminal unit market can be divided into wired industrial RTU and wireless industrial RTU. The wireless industrial RTU segment is expected to expand at a high CAGR during the forecast period, due to several advantages over wired industrial RTUs.
- In terms of end-user, the global industrial remote terminal unit market can be classified into oil and gas industry, power generation industry, chemical and petrochemical industry, water and wastewater industry, and others. The power generation industry is estimated to expand at a rapid pace during the forecast period.
Global Industrial Remote Terminal Unit Market: Regional Segmentation
- In terms of region, the global industrial remote terminal unit market can be split into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- The market in Asia Pacific is anticipated to be highly lucrative during the forecast period. The market in China, India, and Japan is expected to expand significantly in the next few years.
- North America is expected to be a vital region of the global industrial remote terminal unit market in the near future. Expansion of the oil & gas industry in U.S. is estimated to create huge demand for RTUs. Furthermore, a rise in investments in the renewable power sector is projected to further boost the market in the region.
- Europe is a prominent market for industrial remote terminal unit globally. The need to control and monitor remote facilities is increasing in the region in order to keep workers safe, reduce losses, and avoid accidents.
COVID-19 Impact on Global Industrial Remote Terminal Unit Market
- The COVID-19 pandemic has adversely affected the global industrial remote terminal unit industry. Major players have suffered closures owing to the lockdown measures implemented by various countries to curb the spread of the disease along with the disruption of the supply chain. Furthermore, various manufacturers shifted their production toward making masks and medical devices to support governments’ goals to fight these difficult times. However, ease in lockdown offered opportunities for the industrial remote terminal unit market. The market is expected to expand exponentially in the long term.
Key Players in Market
The global industrial remote terminal unit market is moderately fragmented. Key players operating in the global industrial remote terminal unit market include:
- ABB Ltd.
- Advantech Co. Ltd.
- Arteche Group
- Emerson Electric Co.
- Honeywell International Inc.
- Rockwell Automation Inc.
- Schneider Electric SE
- Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories Inc.
- Siemens AG
- Yokogawa Electric Corp.
Global Industrial Remote Terminal Unit Market: Research Scope
Global Industrial Remote Terminal Unit Market, by Product
- Wired Industrial RTU
- Wireless Industrial RTU
Global Industrial Remote Terminal Unit Market, by End-user
- Oil & Gas industry
- Power Generation Industry
- Chemical and Petrochemical Industry
- Water and Wastewater Industry
Global Industrial Remote Terminal Unit Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.