Polyvinylpyrrolidone Market - Product Introduction
- Polyvinylpyrrolidone, also commonly known as PVP or polyvidone or povidone, is a water-soluble polymer made from N-vinyl pyrrolidone monomer by free radical polymerization in water or 2-propanol. It is a white, hygroscopic powder with weak characteristic odor
- Polyvinylpyrrolidone polymers are available in several viscosity grades, ranging from low to high molecular weight. The molecular weight range and solubility in aqueous and organic solvent systems combined with its nontoxic character are key properties that provide polyvinylpyrrolidone polymers superior flexibility
- Polyvinylpyrrolidone has many unique performance features. Therefore, it is employed in various new and different applications such as agriculture, adhesives, electronics, membranes, and metal quenching
Global Polyvinylpyrrolidone Market Highlights:
- In terms of value, the global polyvinylpyrrolidone market is anticipated to expand at a CAGR of more than 13.0% to reach US$ 7.0 Bn by 2027
- Rise in need of high performance water soluble polymers and increase in demand for polyvinylpyrrolidone in various applications such as pharmaceutical, solvents, and cosmetics are anticipated to drive the demand for polyvinylpyrrolidone during forecast period
- North America was the leading region for polyvinylpyrrolidone market, however, Asia Pacific is expected to exhibit significant CAGR between 2019 and 2027
- In 2017, the U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA) issued the final rule on safety and effectiveness for 30 active ingredients in over-the-counter health care antiseptic hand washes and rubs in the medical field; povidone-iodine was one of these thirty products
High Molecular Weight Grade to Dominate Polyvinylpyrrolidone Market
- Based on grade, the high molecular weight segment held major share of the global polyvinylpyrrolidone market in terms of value in 2018. High price associated with high molecular weight makes it leading grade for Polyvinylpyrrolidone market. However, in terms of volume, the low molecular weight segment accounted for prominent share of the global polyvinylpyrrolidone market in 2018
- Low molecular weight grade are considered to be efficient than high molecular weight and are prominently used in pharmaceutical and as dispersant in for carbon black and in aqueous media
Demand for polyvinylpyrrolidone to Increase in Pharmaceutical and Cosmetic Application
- Based on application, pharmaceutical was a highly lucrative segment of the global polyvinylpyrrolidone market in 2018. Demand for polyvinylpyrrolidone in tablets and liquid suspensions/ointments sub-segments of the pharmaceutical segment is estimated to rise at a fast pace in the near future. Demand for polyvinylpyrrolidone is expected to grow at CAGR of more than 14.0% between 2019 and 2027
- After pharmaceutical, cosmetics segment is likely to expand significantly owing to the increase in demand for hair care products. Rise in demand for polyvinylpyrrolidone in production of shampoos, conditioners, hair sprays, mousses, and hair dyes is expected to boost the market during the forecast period
Opportunities for polyvinylpyrrolidone in Hemodialysis (HD)
- Hemodialysis (HD) is relatively safe purification technique, which uses ultrafiltration hollow fiber (HFM) membrane for treating human renal failure. Excess moisture and metabolic wastes, such as urea and creatinine, are removed through this technique.
- At the same time, calcium ion and bicarbonate ion can be supplied through HFM. Of late, studies on development of high performance biocompatible hemodialysis membranes have been garnering global attention. This has resulted in focus on using polyvinylpyrrolidone additives, which are well-known for possessing excellent biocompatibility.
- The hemodialysis sub-segment of the membranes segment of the polyvinylpyrrolidone market is anticipated to expand at a CAGR of more than 9.0% during the forecast period.
Asia Pacific Is Expected To Be Highly Lucrative Region
- In terms of value and volume, North America constituted prominent share of the global polyvinylpyrrolidone market in 2017. Implementation of strict regulatory framework for surgical hand antiseptic as recommended by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), and other regulatory authorities is anticipated to propel the demand for polyvinylpyrrolidone products in North America
- The market in Asia Pacific is projected to expand at a rapid pace during the forecast period. North America and Europe also held key share of the global polyvinylpyrrolidone market in 2018. The market in these regions is estimated to expand at a moderate pace during the forecast period.
- North America and Europe are mature regions of the global polyvinylpyrrolidone market owing to the presence of the well-developed pharmaceutical industry in these regions
- The market in Latin America and Middle East & Africa is likely to expand at a sluggish pace during forecast period due to the slow development of the health care industry in the region
Polyvinylpyrrolidone Market-Competitive Landscape:
- The report comprises a detailed company profile of major players operating in polyvinylpyrrolidone market. The report also consist matrix comparison of the top four players operating in the polyvinylpyrrolidone market along with their market share analysis and product mapping for 2018
- Key players operating in the global polyvinylpyrrolidone market are
- ASHLAND GLOBAL HOLDINGS INC.
- BASF SE
- NIPPON SHOKUBAI CO. LTD.
- Boai NKY Pharmaceuticals Ltd
- JH Nanhang Life Sciences Co. Ltd.
- Hangzhou Sunflower Technology Development Co. Ltd.
- Star-Tech Specialty Products Co. Ltd.
- Dongying City Huaan Chemical Industry CO. LTD.
- Glide Chem Private Limited
- NACALAI TESQUE, INC.
Polyvinylpyrrolidone Market - Introduction:
- The report analyzes and forecasts the polyvinylpyrrolidone market at global and regional levels. The market has been projected in terms of value (US$ Mn) and volume (tons) from 2018 to 2027
- The study includes drivers and restraints of the global polyvinylpyrrolidone market. It also covers the expected impact of these drivers and restraints on demand for polyvinylpyrrolidone during the forecast period
- The report also highlights growth opportunities for the polyvinylpyrrolidone market at the global and regional levels
- The report comprises a detailed value chain analysis, which provides a comprehensive view of the global polyvinylpyrrolidone market. Porter’s Five Forces model for the polyvinylpyrrolidone market has also been included to help understand the competition landscape.
- The study encompasses market attractiveness analysis, wherein grade and application segments have been benchmarked based on their market size, growth rate, and general attractiveness.
- The study provides a decisive view of the global polyvinylpyrrolidone market by segmenting it in terms of grade, application, and region. These segments have been analyzed based on present and future trends.
- The regional segmentation includes the current and projected demand for Polyvinylpyrrolidone (PVP) in North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa.
- The report also covers the demand for Polyvinylpyrrolidone (PVP) for individual grade and application segment across all regions.
- The study includes profiles of major companies operating in the global polyvinylpyrrolidone market. Major players include ASHLAND GLOBAL HOLDINGS INC., BASF SE, NIPPON SHOKUBAI CO., LTD., Boai NKY Pharmaceuticals Ltd, JH Nanhang Life Sciences Co., Ltd., and Hangzhou Sunflower Technology Development Co., Ltd.
- Market players have been profiled in terms of company overview, business strategies, and recent developments. Additionally, product mapping of the all the profiled companies has been given based on parameters such as brand name, product type, K-value range, and applications.
- The report also covers the competition matrix for four major players – ASHLAND GLOBAL HOLDINGS INC., BASF SE, NIPPON SHOKUBAI CO., LTD., and Boai NKY Pharmaceuticals Ltd – operating in the global polyvinylpyrrolidone market.
- Ashland, one of the major companies in the global polyvinylpyrrolidone market, offers personal care, pharmaceutical, and agricultural grades of polyvinylpyrrolidone polymer. It’s Plasdone and Polyplasdone polymer products are used in the pharmaceutical industry, while Agrimer polymers are employed in the agriculture sector. Polyplasdone polymer complies with the U.S., European, and Japanese pharmacopeia specifications for crospovidone, and act as tablet disintegrant.
- In-depth interviews and discussions were conducted with several key market participants and opinion leaders to compile the research report. Primary research represents a bulk of research efforts, supplemented by extensive secondary research. Annual reports, press releases, and relevant documents of key players operating in various application areas have been reviewed for competition analysis and market understanding.
- Secondary research also includes recent trends, technical writing, Internet sources, and statistical data from government websites, trade associations, and agencies. These have proved to be reliable, effective, and successful approaches for obtaining precise market data, capturing market participants’ insights, and recognizing business opportunities.
- For forecasting, we have considered Market drivers, restrains and industry opportunity (based on Ans-off matrix framework), along with their current and future impact on the market growth across all the regions. Furthermore, we have also considered various factors such as GDP growth rate, R&D investments, capacity additions, raw materials pricing, strategic alliance, shift in technology, etc. while arriving at the market numbers at regional and country basis.
The global polyvinylpyrrolidone market can be segmented as follows:
Global Polyvinylpyrrolidone Market, by Grade
- Low Molecular Weight
- Medium Molecular Weight
- High Molecular Weight
- Others (including K60 and K120)
- Others (including K15 and K40)
Global Polyvinylpyrrolidone Market, by Application
- Liquid Suspension/Ointments
- Paints & Coatings
- Polishing Agents
- Electrical & Electronics
- Others (including Screens and CMPs)
- Skin Adhesives
- Hot Melt Adhesives
- Hair Fixative Polymers
- Skin Care
- Oral Care
- Food & Beverages
- Home Care
- Metal Quenching
- Others (including Synthetic Fibers and Paper Manufacturing)
Global Polyvinylpyrrolidone Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
- Global and regional market share of the polyvinylpyrrolidone market in terms of volume (tons) and value (US$ Mn), by grade, application, and region for the period between 2018 and 2027
- Detailed analysis of the country-level demand for polyvinylpyrrolidone in countries/sub-regions including the U.S., Canada, Germany, France, the U.K., Italy, France, the Netherlands, Belgium, Russia & CIS, China, India, Japan, South Korea, ASEAN, Brazil, Mexico, GCC, and South Africa with respect to different grade and application segments for the period from 2018 to 2027
- Key indicators, drivers, restraints, and opportunities in the global polyvinylpyrrolidone market
- Import-export analysis of the polyvinylpyrrolidone market for all major countries in 2017
- Price trend forecast of the global polyvinylpyrrolidone market in terms of grade
- Value chain analysis and Porter’s Five Forces analysis of the global polyvinylpyrrolidone market
- Regulatory landscape
- Market attractiveness analysis of the global polyvinylpyrrolidone market by grade, application, and region
- Key findings of the polyvinylpyrrolidone market for each region, and in-depth analysis of major grade and application segments in terms of volume and value
- Competition matrix of key players operating in the market and market share of major companies for 2018
- Product mapping of all the players against product type, brand name, K-value and application parameters
- Detailed profiles of major players operating in the market