Povidone Iodine Market
Povidone Iodine Market (Application: Skin Sterilization, Infection Prevention, Instrument Sterilization, and Others) - Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends, and Forecast, 2020 - 2030
Press Release :
Virucidal Properties of Povidone Iodine Induced Betadine Gains Importance amidst COVID-19 Pandemic
The COVID-19 (coronavirus) continues to register new cases worldwide. Hence, companies in the povidone iodine market are increasing their R&D efforts to evaluate the efficacy of PVP-I against the novel coronavirus. For instance, global leader of consumer health products, Avrio Health L.P., has initiated a program to understand the potential safety and virucidal properties of Betadine® antiseptic products in which povidone iodine forms an active ingredient. Companies in the povidone iodine market are increasing their efficacy in in vitro and in vivo studies to examine the effectiveness of povidone iodine against the virus causing COVID-19.
The concept of skin sterilization is gaining increased importance amidst the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. Moreover, the revenue of skin sterilization application segment of the povidone iodine market is projected for aggressive growth during the forecast period. Thus, betadine antiseptic products hold promising potentials in reducing the number of microorganisms on the skin.
To gauge the scope of customization in our reports Ask for a Sample?
Excellent Bactericidal Activity of Povidone Iodine Aids in Treatment of MRSA Infections
Nasal decolonization is a common practice to control and prevent the spread of methicillin-resistant staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) infections. As such, intranasal mupirocin ointment and chlorhexidine wash are considered as the gold standard for the treatment of MRSA infections. However, resistance and failure associated with these treatment strategies are encouraging the use of povidone iodine (PVP-I) as an alternative decolonization agent for the treatment of the MRSA infection. Hence, companies in the povidone iodine market are boosting their production capabilities to increase the availability of PVP-I, where the market is estimated to cross the volume of ~16,000 tons by the end of 2030.
Povidone iodine holds potential in the treatment of MRSA infections, owing to its rapid and superior bactericidal activity as compared to intranasal mupirocin ointment and chlorhexidine wash. Companies in the povidone iodine market are increasing the applicability of PVP-I in reducing the incidences of surgical site infections (SSI) during orthopedic surgeries.
Can Povidone Iodine 1% Effectively Treat Endometritis?
Antiseptic formulations are being highly publicized as effective vaginal antiseptic solutions. Among cetrimide and metronidazole, even povidone iodine is found to significantly reduce the risk of endometritis in women after childbirth. As such, the povidone iodine market is estimated to reach a value of ~US$ 256.7 Bn by the end of 2030. This is evident since povidone iodine products are pervasively replacing most saline solutions.
Povidone iodine 1% holds high probability of being one of the most effective solution for the prevention of endometritis. On the other hand, companies in the povidone iodine market are increasing the applicability of PVP-I in order to prevent secondary outcomes of postoperative wound infection and fever associated with endometritis. Companies are tapping into incremental opportunities with the help of povidone iodine in applications such as presurgical vaginal irrigation to prevent postoperative wound infections and fever in women.
Povidone Iodine Liposome Hydrogel Promotes Antiseptic and Moist Treatment for Wound Healing
Companies in the povidone iodine market are broadening their revenue streams by increasing the production of topical drug formulations used for wound healing and infection treatment. This explains why the povidone iodine market is slated to register a favorable CAGR of ~5% during the forecast period. Manufacturers are increasing their efficacy to conduct in vitro and in vivo investigations of povidone iodine liposome hydrogel for topical wound treatment applications.
Get an idea about the offerings of our report from Report Brochure
There is a growing demand for a combination of anti-infectious therapy and a healing-promoting moisturization in topical drug formulations. Hence, manufacturers are increasing their production capabilities for povidone iodine liposome hydrogel that allows both antiseptic and moist treatment. Pharmaceutical formulations typically involve a complex of PVP-I (3%) and phosphatidylcholine in a hydrogel. Manufacturers are investigating a direct interaction of the povidone iodine liposomes with microorganisms by attaching to the cell surface to evaluate the antimicrobial activity.
Molecular Iodine Offsets Advantages of Povidone Iodine in Dentistry
Povidone iodine is proving as a game changer in infection treatment. However, alternative compounds such as molecular iodine (I2) products pose as a threat to the sales of povidone iodine in dentistry. For instance, ioTech International- a specialist in molecular iodine R&D, has revealed its patented stable aqueous formulation of I2, which contains several parts per million (ppm) as compared to povidone iodine. Hence, companies in the povidone iodine market are focusing on skin sterilization applications in order to create revenue streams.
On the other hand, manufacturers in the povidone iodine market are developing improved formulations of eye drops that help in reducing conjunctival bacteria load for patients undergoing anti-VEGF (Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor) intravitreal injection.
Dental Devices Containing Povidone Iodine Pave Way for Management of Periodontal Diseases
An alarmingly high rate of periodontal diseases among individuals worldwide has fueled the demand for povidone iodine impregnated dental floss. This is a prominent trend in Asian countries, which explains why the revenue of Asia Pacific is expected to exponentially grow in the povidone iodine market. Since periodontal diseases result in tooth loss and destruction of tooth-supporting structures, consumers are opting for povidone iodine induced dental floss to limit the progression of diseases. As such, the International Association for Dental Research is increasing awareness for antimicrobial agents such as povidone iodine for the prevention of periodontal diseases in individuals.
Advantageous attributes of low cost povidone iodine such as low systemic toxicity and easy application are playing a vital role in the removal of tooth-surface dental-plaque biofilms. As such, there is a growing demand for dental devices containing antimicrobial agents for the management of bacterial pathogens.
Looking for Regional Analysis or Competitive Landscape in Povidone Iodine Market, ask for a customized report
Gargling with both povidone-iodine and chlorinated tap water is acquiring increased importance amidst the COVID-19 outbreak to prevent the risks of upper respiratory tract infections. Manufacturers in the povidone iodine market are improving their designing and formulation capabilities to tap revenue opportunities in dental devices and PVP-I induced dental floss products. Since chlorhexidine-alcohol (CA) is an alternative to povidone iodine before elective CS (cesarean section), companies should increase their production capabilities, as low cost of PVP-I offsets the advantages of CA. PVP-I liposome hydrogels are being highly publicized for use in wound healing applications, owing to its advantage of enhanced epithelization.
Povidone Iodine Market: Overview
- In terms of value, the povidone iodine market is expected to cross US$ 250 Bn by 2030
- Rise in demand for povidone iodine, owing to its wide application in the healthcare sector, is anticipated to boost the global povidone iodine market during the forecast period
- Skin sterilization is projected to be a highly attractive application segment of the global povidone iodine market in the near future
Povidone Iodine Market: Key Drivers and Restraints
- Increase in usage of povidone iodine as antiseptic and disinfectant is estimated to propel the global povidone iodine market during the forecast period. Rise in demand for high-quality animal-based products is fueling the demand for veterinary antiseptic products across the world. These povidone iodine-based veterinary products are used extensively as antiseptics due to their excellent antimicrobial efficacy and mildness.
- Around 10% of maternal mortality is caused due to bacterial infections during labor and the puerperium. Maternal infections around childbirth have a significant impact on newborn mortality. The World Health Organization (WHO) has recommended the use of povidone iodine vaginal cleansing solution before caesarean section. The usage of povidone iodine is likely to minimize discomfort to the woman, as compared to that offered by other alternatives. This is projected to provide lucrative opportunities for the povidone iodine market in the near future.
- Common side effects of povidone iodine eye drops and skin formulations include local swelling, irritation, itching, and rash. Povidone iodine can have corrosive effects in case of overuse. These factors are likely to hamper the global povidone iodine market during the forecast period.
Povidone Iodine Market: Key Region
- In terms of region, the global povidone iodine market has been divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- In terms of value and volume, North America dominated the global povidone iodine market in 2019. Better lifestyle, growth in awareness about health, and rise in disposable income are driving the number of bariatric surgeries for weight loss in North America. This, in turn, is expected to boost the povidone iodine market in the region during the forecast period.
Povidone Iodine Market: Prominent Application Segment
- Based on application, the global povidone iodine market has been classified into skin sterilization, infection prevention, instrument sterilization, and others. The skin sterilization segment is likely to dominate the global povidone iodine market in the near future, as it is a leading consumer of povidone iodine.
Povidone Iodine Market: Key Developments
- In February 2020, LASA Supergenerics Limited announced it had acquired Harishree Aromatics & Chemicals Private Limited, a leading player engaged in the manufacturing of veterinary APIs and other pharmaceutical intermediates. The move is anticipated to help the company meet the rising demand for povidone iodine in Asia Pacific.
- In 2017, Boai NKY Pharmaceuticals initiated the construction of a new research and development center in China over the area of 6,200 square meters. The new research and development center is projected to help the company meet its research activities based on povidone iodine and explore business opportunities in new horizons.
- In 2015, BASF SE announced plans to investment in the polyvinylpyrrolidone (PVP) value chain. The plan included extension of capacities in Geismar, Louisiana (the U.S.); and Ludwigshafen (Germany); and introduction of the technology in Shanghai, China. These investments enabled the company to establish infrastructure to cater to customers from different industries.
Povidone Iodine Market: Competition Landscape
- Major global manufacturers of povidone iodine include
- Evonik Industries AG
- BASF SE
- Nippon Shokubai Co., Ltd
- LG Chem Ltd.
- Sumitomo Seika Chemicals Co. Ltd
- Sanyo Chemical Industries
- KAO Corporation
Povidone Iodine Market – Scope of the Report
The new study on the global povidone iodine market published by Transparency Market Research (TMR) presents a wealth of information on key market dynamics, including drivers, market trends, and challenges, as well as structure of the global povidone iodine market. TMR’s study offers valuable information on the global povidone iodine market to illustrate how growth would discern during the forecast period of 2020 to 2030.
Key indicators of market growth, which include value chain analysis as well as supply chain analysis and compounded annual growth rate (CAGR) have been elucidated in TMR’s study in a comprehensive manner. This data can help readers interpret quantitative growth aspects of the global povidone iodine market during the forecast period.
An extensive analysis of leading market players’ business strategies is also featured in TMR’s study on the global povidone iodine market. This can help readers understand principal factors to foresee the growth of the global povidone iodine market. In this study, readers can also find specific data on avenues for qualitative and quantitative growth of the global povidone iodine market, which would guide market players in making apt decisions in the near future.
Key Questions Answered in TMR’s Study on Povidone Iodine Market
- What would be the Y-o-Y growth rate of the global povidone iodine market between 2020 and 2030?
- What is the influence of changing trends in technologies on the global povidone iodine market?
- Would North America continue to remain the most profitable region for manufacturers of povidone iodine in the near future?
- Which factors would impede the growth of the global povidone iodine market during the forecast period?
- Which are the leading companies of the global povidone iodine market?
A unique research methodology has been utilized by TMR to conduct comprehensive research on the global povidone iodine market and arrive at conclusions on growth prospects for the market. This research methodology is a combination of primary and secondary research, which helps analysts warrant the accuracy and reliability of the conclusions drawn.
Secondary resources referred to by analysts during the production of the report on the global povidone iodine market include statistics from company annual reports, SEC filings, company websites, World Bank database, investor presentations, regulatory databases, government publications, and market white papers. Analysts also interviewed senior managers, product portfolio managers, CEOs, VPs, and market intelligence managers, who contributed to the production of TMR’s study on the global povidone iodine market as a primary resource.
These primary and secondary resources provided exclusive information during interviews, which served as a validation from leading players operating in the global povidone iodine market. Access to an extensive internal repository and external proprietary databases allows this report to address specific details and questions about the global povidone iodine market with accuracy. The study also uses a top-down approach to assess numbers for each segment and a bottom-up approach to counter-validate them. This has helped in making TMR’s estimates on future prospects of the global povidone iodine market more reliable and accurate.
Povidone Iodine Market – Segmentation
TMR’s study on the global povidone iodine market segments the market based on application and region. Changing market trends and other crucial market dynamics associated with these segments of the global povidone iodine market are discussed in detail.