Dipropylene Glycol: Introduction
- Dipropylene glycol is typically a colorless, odorless liquid that possesses moderate viscosity. Dipropylene glycol has low volatility and is soluble in water. Dipropylene glycol is hygroscopic, i.e. it attracts water from atmosphere.
- A distinctive feature of dipropylene glycol as compared to other types of glycols is its wider range of solvency. The ability of dipropylene glycol to solubilize oil such as castor oil makes it highly useful in a wide range of applications.
- Dipropylene glycol is a member of the glycol class of compounds. Simply put, ‘glycol’ is a term for any organic compound belonging to the alcohol family. A glycol, which may also be referred to as a diol, comprises two hydroxyls groups attached to different carbon atoms. There are many different types of compounds that belong to this family, such as butylene glycol, polyethylene glycol, and ethylene glycol.
Key Drivers and Restraints of Global Dipropylene Glycol Market
- Dipropylene glycol is primarily used in paints and coatings, urethanes, cosmetics, fragrance, and persona care. Increase in demand for dipropylene glycol in these applications is expected to boost the global dipropylene glycol market.
- Rise in usage of dipropylene glycol in perfume manufacturing and odor sensitive applications is boosting the demand for dipropylene glycol. The use of dipropylene glycol as plasticizer, polymerization initiator, and additive in chemical and polymer industries is also expected to drive the global market.
- Dipropylene glycol is an active skin and eye irritant, which can cause irritation. Additionally, threats of alternatives such as 3-proanediol is likely to hinder the market.
Dipropylene Glycol: Grade Segment
- In terms of grade, the global dipropylene glycol market can be into regular grade and high purity grade
- The regular grade dipropylene glycol is primarily used as a reactive intermediate in the production of polyurethanes, high-performance unsaturated polyester resins, and plasticizers. The regular grade dipropylene glycol has high solvency, low toxicity, low evaporation rate, low odor, and high viscosity. Thus, it is a widely preferred chemical intermediate in various applications.
- Major applications of regular grade dipropylene glycol include high-volume plasticizer, reactant in unsaturated polyurethane resins, initiator in urethane polyol; polyol in certain rigid polyurethane systems, and reactive diluent in radiation cured resins and coatings. Other uses of regular grade dipropylene glycol comprise hydraulic brake fluids, textile lubricants, cutting oils, printing inks, industrial soaps, and coatings and solvents for chemicals used in agricultural applications such as insecticides.
- High purity grade dipropylene glycol is specifically designed for odor-sensitive applications including fragrances and cosmetics. High purity grade dipropylene glycol is primarily a distilled product, which has purity more than 99.5%. It is a liquid which is colorless, odorless, hygroscopic, and water soluble.
COVID-19 Impact on Dipropylene Glycol Market
- Since the beginning of 2020, the global economy has been experiencing downturn due to the outbreak of the Covid-19 pandemic. The COVID-19 pandemic is anticipated to significant affect the production and distribution of dipropylene glycol.
- Governments of several countries have imposed strict lockdowns to curb the spread of the COVID-19 pandemic. Many manufacturing companies are either shut down or running low on production capacity.
- Decrease in industrial activities due to the pandemic has been adversely impacting the global dipropylene glycol market
Asia Pacific Holds Major Share of Dipropylene Glycol Market
- In terms of region, the global dipropylene glycol market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- Asia Pacific dominated the market in 2020. This trend is expected to continue during the forecast period. Asia Pacific is expected to be a rapidly growing region of the global dipropylene glycol market in the next few years primarily due to rise in demand for dipropylene glycol in plasticizers and polyurethane resins.
- Demand for dipropylene glycol in textile lubricants is anticipated to rise in India and China considering the extensive growth of the textile chemical industry in these countries. Increase in industrialization in these countries is likely to boost the demand for dipropylene glycol in printing inks, automotive, and several other end-user industries.
- The market in North America is expected to expand significantly owing to the increase in usage of glycols in printing inks, perfumes, body lotions, and other products in the region. The market in Latin America and Middle East & Africa is expected to expand at a sluggish pace during the forecast period.
Key Manufacturers Operating in Global Dipropylene Glycol Market
The global dipropylene glycol market was consolidated in 2020. Major players have prominent presence in developed and developing countries. Key manufacturers operating in the global dipropylene glycol market include:
- Shell Global
- The Dow Chemical Company
- Huntsman Corporation
- Dupont Tate & Lyle Bio Products LLC
- Manali Petrochemicals Limited
Global Dipropylene Glycol Market: Research Scope
Global Dipropylene Glycol Market, by Grade
- Regular Grade
- High Purity Grade
Global Dipropylene Glycol Market, by End-use
- Cosmetic & Fragrance
- Polyurethane Polyols
- Unsaturated Polyester Resins
- Alkyd Resins
Global Dipropylene Glycol Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.