Bio-based Unsaturated Polyethylene Market: Substitute for Conventional Polyethylene
- Polyethylene is a widely used resin across the world, owing to its versatility, easy processing ability, and lower cost of production. It is made of petroleum feedstock; thus, it can act as a potential health hazard while burning. The reserves for the oil shale are decreasing due to the increase in extraction rate of fossil fuels for the manufacturing of polymers, is expected to adversely affect the resources in the near future. This is anticipated to boost the demand for bio-based products in the near future.
- Bio-based unsaturated polyethylene is produced by processing of starch, vegetable oils, and sugarcane. Bio-based unsaturated polyethylene products are obtained from microorganisms. These microorganisms can be disposed and are eco-friendly. Therefore, they are used for packaging applications, including bottles and bags.
- Bio-based unsaturated polyethylene has various advantages over conventional polyethylene. These include less pollution and reduction in energy consumption during processing by approximately 70%.
- Substitution of conventional polyethylene with bio-based unsaturated polyethylene does not require investments in the plastics manufacturing machinery
- The global bio-based unsaturated polyethylene market can be segmented based on end-use into food & beverages, pharmaceutical, cosmetics, personal care, and others (including homecare). Of these, food & beverages is anticipated to be the major segment of the market during the forecast period.
Is something restraining your company’s growth in the Bio-based Unsaturated Polyethylene Market? Ask for the report brochure here
Drivers of Global Bio-based Unsaturated Polyethylene Market
- Increase in awareness about environmental issues and manufacturers’ shift toward the development of bio-based unsaturated polyethylene materials for packaging application are expected to create lucrative opportunities for the bio-based unsaturated polyethylene market
- The global bio-based unsaturated polyethylene market has been expanding due to the implementation of stringent rules and regulations on polyethylene and environmental pollution
- Bio-based products require less energy. They also release less amount of greenhouse gases. Thus, they are expected to replace conventional polyethylene in the long run.
- In 2002, the Government of Bangladesh announced a complete ban on polyethylene plastic bags. The ban was imposed, as plastic bags choke the drainage system. Choking of the drainage system resulted in a deadly flood in 1989. Thus, the Government introduced a ban on all shopping bags made of polyethylene. It also promoted a campaign, wherein it informed citizens that offenders could face fines and six months in jail after the implementation of the ban.
- In 2011, Yangon, a city in Myanmar, banned the production, storage, and sale of polyethylene bags across the city
- In 1994, Denmark became the first country to levy a tax on the usage of polyethylene. Since the introduction of the tax, the usage of polyethylene bags dropped from 800 million to approximately 400 million bags per year.
- Ireland began levying tax on usage plastic bags in 2002. The country experienced a 90% reduction in use of polyethylene bags following the ban. The European Union has set a goal to reduce the use of plastic bags by 80% by 2019. In 2014, California implemented a ban on plastic bags.
- In 2009, Argentina banned the use of polyethylene bags in Córdoba, Spain
- In 2009, in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil stated to substitute polyethylene and polypropylene bags with the alternatives. If the substitution is not carried out, then the government is likely to take back any quantity of plastic bags from any source. The government body would be responsible for proper disposal of these bags and in turn compensate the people by giving them a discount.
Stuck in a neck-to-neck competition with other brands? Request a custom report on competition on Bio-Based Unsaturated Polyethylene market here
Lack of Awareness and Low Production Capacity of Bio-Based Unsaturated Polyethylene to Hamper Market
- Currently, the production capacity of bio-based unsaturated polyethylene is significantly lower than that of conventional plastics. This is anticipated to hamper the substitution potential and increases the prices of final products. Furthermore, price consideration is expected to be the primary factor hampering the bio-based unsaturated polyethylene.
- Bio-based unsaturated polyethylene is not being commercialized on larger scale. Just a few manufacturers operate in this market. This is likely to hamper the bio-based unsaturated polyethylene market during the forecast period.
Latin America, Asia Pacific, and Europe Expected to Hold Major Share of Global Bio-based Unsaturated Polyethylene Market
- Geographically, the global bio-based unsaturated polyethylene market can be split across five regions: North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- Increase in government initiatives and rise in investments in bio-based products in countries in Asia Pacific are key factors propelling the demand for bio-based unsaturated polyethylene in the region
- Manufacturers in Europe are focusing on improving production process and extensive research & development in terms of product properties. Companies operating in the region are primarily focused on launching new products and entering into extensive mergers & acquisitions to gain higher share of the market.
- The bio-based unsaturated polyethylene market in Latin America is expected to expand at a rapid pace, owing to the presence of large manufacturers of sugarcane across the region. Brazil is the world’s largest manufacturer of sugarcane. The country is a key producer of ethanol. Large manufacturers operate in the region. For instance, Braskem S.A. is constantly engaged in new product development to increase its global presence.
- Near about 16% of the energy is consumed in the Brazil to manufacture renewable resources which is derived from sugarcane. As sugarcane is used as a raw material for the production of bio-based unsaturated polyethylene, thus in turn is anticipated to drive the growth of bio-based unsaturated polyethylene market across the country.
Key Players in Bio-based Unsaturated Polyethylene Market
The global bio-based unsaturated polyethylene market is dominated by a few players. Key players operating in the bio-based unsaturated polyethylene include:
- Braskem SA
- Sojitz Corporation
Global Bio-based Unsaturated Polyethylene Market: Research Scope
Global Bio-based unsaturated Polyethylene Market, by End-use
- Food & beverages
- Personal care
- Others (including Homecare)
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
With a robust experience in creating exceptional market reports, Transparency Market Research has emerged as one of the trusted market research companies among a large number of stakeholders and CXOs. Every report at Transparency Market Research goes through rigorous research activity in every aspect. The researchers at TMR keep a close watch on the market and extract beneficial growth-boosting points. These points help the stakeholders to strategize their business plans accordingly.
TMR researchers conduct exhaustive qualitative and quantitative research. This research involves taking inputs from the experts in the market, focused attention on recent developments, and others. This method of research makes TMR stand out from other market research firms.
Here's how Transparency Market Research helps the stakeholders and CXOs through the reports:
Inculcation and Evaluation of Strategic Collaborations: The TMR researchers analyze recent strategic activities like mergers, acquisitions, partnerships, collaborations, and joint ventures. All the information is compiled and included in the report.
Perfect Market Size Estimations: The report analyzes the demographics, growth potential, and capability of the market through the forecast period. This factor leads to the estimation of the market size and also provides an outline about how the market will retrieve growth during the assessment period.
Investment Research: The report focuses on the ongoing and upcoming investment opportunities across a particular market. These developments make the stakeholders aware of the current investment scenario across the market.
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.