Becker Muscular Dystrophy Therapeutics Market: Introduction
- Becker muscular dystrophy (BMD) can be defined as a genetic disease which follows an X-linked recessive inheritance. It causes the wasting of cardiac and skeletal muscles and progressive weakness in people. This disease is known to primarily affect men, owing to its recessive inheritance.
- BMD is caused owing to a mutation in the dystrophin gene. It is one of the nine dystrophies which primarily affects the voluntary muscles. This disease is similar to Duchene muscular dystrophy, except that the symptoms of BMD appear at a later stage and progress at a slower rate.
- The symptoms of BMD can appear anytime from a patient’s childhood to the early 20s. Muscle weakness associated with this disease affects the pelvis and legs and impacts the patient’s ability to walk, leading to frequent falls and loss of muscle mass. It also affects the heart muscles leading to dilated cardiomyopathy, which enlarges and weakens the heart muscle, affecting the ability to pump blood efficiently. Complications associated with the disease include cardiac arrhythmias, mental impairment, pneumonia, and pulmonary failure.
- There is no cure for the disease; however, treatment revolves around controlling the symptoms to maximize the quality of life of patients
Get a Glimpse of the In-Depth Analysis through our Comprehensive Becker Muscular Dystrophy Therapeutics Market Brochure
Key Drivers and Restraints of Global Becker Muscular Dystrophy Therapeutics Market
- Owing to its X-linked recessive inheritance, Becker muscular dystrophy is common in men, with the gene being obtained from carrier mother. Prevalence of the disease is considered to be approximately 1.5 to 6 men in 100,000 population. Prenatal testing and genetic counselling helps in spreading awareness about the disease and its inheritance, which in turn contributes to rise in demand for Becker muscular dystrophy therapeutics.
- Continuous investment in research & development on the diagnosis and treatment of Becker muscular dystrophy is projected to fuel the growth of the global Becker muscular dystrophy therapeutics market. Significant investments by key players and initiatives by governments for research & development on the treatment of the disease are anticipated to propel the global Becker muscular dystrophy therapeutics market.
- However, high cost of genetic testing procedures and lack of effective and specific treatment for Becker muscular dystrophy are expected to hamper the growth of the global market. Moreover, growing research on gene therapy is likely to have a negative impact on the global Becker muscular dystrophy therapeutics market during the forecast period.
North America to Lead Global Becker Muscular Dystrophy Therapeutics Market
- In terms of region, the global Becker muscular dystrophy therapeutics market can be segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- North America dominated the global Becker muscular therapeutics market owing to rise in awareness among people about prenatal genetic testing, increase in the number of prenatal genetic tests being performed, well-established health care infrastructure, and presence of leading market players.
- Europe was the second largest market for Becker muscular dystrophy therapeutics in 2018, followed by Asia Pacific. Asia Pacific is projected to be the fastest growing market for Becker muscular dystrophy therapeutics, followed by Latin America and Middle East & Africa. Developing health care facilities, rise in awareness about the screening of this rare disease, and investments in clinical trials are anticipated to augment the Becker muscular dystrophy therapeutics market in Asia Pacific.
Expanding Operations in Future? To Get the Perfect Launch Ask for a Custom Becker Muscular Dystrophy Therapeutics Market Report
Key Manufacturers Operating in Global Becker Muscular Dystrophy Therapeutics Market
Leading players in the global Becker muscular dystrophy therapeutics market are:
- PTC Therapeutics, Inc.
- ReveraGen BioPharma, Inc.
- Milo Biotechnology LLC
- Italfarmaco SpA
Market players are focused on establishing strong pipeline of drugs for the treatment of the symptoms specifically associated with Becker muscular dystrophy, which would aid in enhancing the therapeutic options for its treatment.
Global Becker Muscular Dystrophy Therapeutics Market: Research Scope
Global Becker Muscular Dystrophy Therapeutics Market, by Drug Type
Global Becker Muscular Dystrophy Therapeutics Market, by Distribution Channel
- Hospital Pharmacies
- Retail Pharmacies
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The regional analysis covers:
- North America (U.S. and Canada)
- Latin America (Mexico, Brazil, Peru, Chile, and others)
- Western Europe (Germany, U.K., France, Spain, Italy, Nordic countries, Belgium, Netherlands, and Luxembourg)
- Eastern Europe (Poland and Russia)
- Asia Pacific (China, India, Japan, ASEAN, Australia, and New Zealand)
- Middle East and Africa (GCC, Southern Africa, and North Africa)
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.