Increase in Incidence of Spinal Stenosis to Drive Global Lumbar Stenosis Treatment Market
- Lumbar stenosis is a neurologically symptomatic disease, which arises as a result of contraction of nerve roots and cauda equina nerve bundle. Contraction of the lumbar canal of the spine from which the bundle of the spinal nerve passes, causes degeneration, which occurs with aging.
- Specific reasons related to contraction and compression are spondylolisthesis, thickening of a vertebral arch, degenerative bulging of an intervertebral disk, and yellowing of a ligament or an apophyseal joint. All these factors cause spinal canal compression, which results in narrowing of spinal nerves within the lumbar spinal canal and causes neurological symptoms.
- Main symptoms are intermittent claudication and sciatica treatment of which is based on the severity of the stenosis. They vary from conservative treatment in hospitals for pain and recovery to surgical treatment. Lumbar stenosis is mainly treated in the elderly.
Get an Idea about the Offerings of Our Lumbar Stenosis Treatment Market Report from this Brochure
Key Drivers and Restraints of Global Lumbar Stenosis Treatment Market
- Rise in Prevalence of Osteoporosis and Osteoarthritis
- Major factor driving the global lumbar stenosis treatment market is the rise in epidemiology of osteoporosis and osteoarthritis. Osteoporosis is an alarming health issue, especially in elderly population. The disease is associated with weakening of spinal bones and joints. It is responsible for around 8.6 million fractures annually worldwide, and is more prevalent in women. According to an estimate by the International Osteoporosis Foundation, 75 million people are diagnosed with osteoporosis in Europe, the U.S., and Japan.
- Osteoarthritis is one of the 10 most disabling diseases in developed countries. Approximately 25% of individuals suffering from arthritis have difficulty in performing everyday activities. According to the statistics published by the Centers of Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), 50 million people in the Unites States are diagnosed with arthritis. Several of these individuals have activity limitation.
- Rise in prevalence of osteoporosis and osteoarthritis is expected to boost the global lumbar stenosis treatment market
Surgery Type Segment to Dominate Global Market
- Based on treatment, the global lumbar stenosis treatment market can be segmented into drug class and surgery type. The drug class segment can be sub-categorized into corticosteroids, analgesics, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), and others.
- The surgery type segment can be sub-divided into laminectomy, discectomy, foraminotomy, facetectomy, and minimally invasive surgery
- The surgery type segment is expected to dominate the global lumbar stenosis treatment market between 2019 and 2027
North America to Lead Global Lumbar Stenosis Treatment Market
- In terms of region, the global lumbar stenosis treatment market can be classified into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- North America is expected to account for a major share of the global lumbar stenosis treatment market. Thus, the region is likely to lead the global market during the forecast period due to presence of significant patient population suffering from lumbar stenosis in the region.
- According to the CDC, currently, approximately 250,000 to 500,000 people in the U.S. have spinal stenosis symptoms. This represents that approximately one person in 1,000 people over 65 years of age and approximately five per 1,000 people under 50 years of age have these symptoms.
- Approximately, 70 million individuals in the U.S. are over 50 years of age, and this figure is expected to rise by 18 million over the next decade, indicating an increase in spinal stenosis prevalence
- Lumbar spinal stenosis (LSS) appears to be the leading preoperative condition for adults over the age of 65 undergoing spine surgery
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention stated that the incidence rate of lateral nerve trapping is between 8% and 11%. Some findings include lateral recess stenosis as the pain source of 60% of patients with failed surgical syndrome symptomatology.
Expanding Operations in Future? To Get the Perfect Launch Ask for a Custom Lumbar Stenosis Treatment Market Report
Key Manufacturers Operating in Global Market
The global lumbar stenosis treatment market was highly fragmented in 2018. Key players operating in the global lumbar stenosis treatment market are:
- Alphatec Spine, Inc.
- DePuy Synthes
- Zimmer Biomet
- NuVasive, Inc.
- Orthofix Holdings, Inc.
- Globus Medical Inc.
- Vertiflex Inc.
Global Lumbar Stenosis Treatment Market: Research Scope
Global Lumbar Stenosis Treatment Market, by Treatment
- Drug Class
- Non-steroidal Anti-inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs)
- Surgery Type
- Minimally Invasive Surgery
Global Lumbar Stenosis Treatment Market, by End-user
- Ambulatory Surgery Centers
- Orthopedic Clinics
Global Lumbar Stenosis Treatment Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Australia & New Zealand
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.