Coal Water Slurry: Introduction
- High volatility in crude oil market and need of large investments in exploration of crude oil sources have led to widespread interest in coal conversion technologies
- Coal water slurry is a mixture of fine particles of pulverized coal and water. A typical coal water slurry consists of coal particles (maximum size of approximately 300 µm), water, and additives (dispersants or surfactants).
- As a fuel, coal water slurry emits less sulfur and nitrogen oxide. Storage & transport of coal water slurry requires no special conditions and can be cost effective. Coal water slurry offers good combustion efficiency compared to other conventional fuels. Performance of coal water slurry depends on various factors including its viscosity, calorific value, rate of sedimentation, ash content, and its ignition and combustion temperatures.
Key Drivers, Major Developments, and Restraints of Coal Water Slurry
- Growth of the global power sector is expected to be a major driver of the global coal water slurry market during the forecast period, as increase in demand for uninterrupted power supply in developing countries such as China and India led by frequent blackouts, power cuts, and load shedding calls for usage of steam turbines for power generation, wherein coal water slurry is used as an alternative source of fuel in steam turbines
- Coal water slurry (CWS) fuel with its additives and additional filtration systems can be used in diesel-based 4-stroke and 2-stroke engines effectively. Diesel engines are used as mechanical engines and power generators in industrial applications. Thus, rapid growth of the industrial sector in developing countries is estimated to boost the coal water slurry market.
- In 2014, the Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand (EGAT) started conducting a feasibility study to retrofit the 300-MW oil-fired power plant at Krabi, Thailand, by using coal water slurry. In December 2015, LLC Amalthea-Service conducted pre-design combustion tests of coal water slurry, which was produced from coal fines in coal factories in Russia. Thus, continuous assessment of coal water slurry as an alternative fuel is projected to propel the global coal water slurry market in the near future.
- Rise in awareness about renewable energy sources for power generation and water scarcity in some geographies across the globe are likely to hamper the coal water slurry market
COVID-19 Impact Analysis on Power Demand
- Governments of several countries across the globe have imposed stringent lockdowns to limit the spread of the coronavirus. Movement of individuals and economic activities, related to goods and services, have come to a halt because of lockdowns. This has adversely affected the demand for electricity for commercial as well as industrial purposes. Coal water slurry is used as alternative fuel in power generation. Therefore, sudden drop in demand for electricity is hampering the global coal water slurry market.
Coal Water Slurry Market Segmentation
- The global coal water slurry market can be segmented based on product, application, and end-use industry
- In terms of product, the global coal water slurry market can be segregated into high concentration coal water slurry, medium concentration coal water slurry, and others
- In terms of application, the global coal water slurry market can be divided into steam generation, diesel engine, and others
- In terms of end-use industry, the global coal water slurry market can be classified into power generation, chemicals & petrochemicals, and others
Coal Water Slurry Market: Regional Segmentation
- In terms of region, the global coal water slurry market can be split into Middle East & Africa, Latin America, Asia Pacific, Europe, and North America
- According to International Energy Agency, India’s electricity demand is projected to reach 1900 terawatt-hours by 2021-2022 and its carbon dioxide emission from coal combustion is projected to reach 3.3 Giga Tons (Gt) in 2030. Even distribution of electricity without power outage can be achieved by using coal water slurry as an alternative fuel. Thus, the coal water slurry market is anticipated to expand at a faster pace in India in Asia Pacific during the forecast period.
- The coal water slurry market in the U.S. is anticipated to expand at a faster pace. Utilities in the U.S. invested approximately US$ 144 Bn in electricity generation, transmission, and distribution infrastructure in 2016. Investment in annual smart grid setup in the U.S. rose from US$ 3.4 Bn in 2014 to US$ 4.8 Bn in 2016. These investments are projected to rise to US$ 13.8 Bn in 2024.
Key Players Operating in Global Market
- Effective Energy Technologies GmbH
- Cynergi Holding S.A.
- JGC HOLDINGS CORPORATION
- CARBON SLURRY FUEL
- GlobeCore GmbH
Global Coal Water Slurry Market: Research Scope
Global Coal Water Slurry Market, by Product
- High Concentration Coal Water Slurry
- Medium Concentration Coal Water Slurry
Global Coal Water Slurry Market, by Application
- Steam Generation
- Diesel Engine
Global Coal Water Slurry Market, by End-use Industry
- Power Generation
- Chemicals & Petrochemicals
Global Coal Water Slurry Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
With a robust experience in creating exceptional market reports, Transparency Market Research has emerged as one of the trusted market research companies among a large number of stakeholders and CXOs. Every report at Transparency Market Research goes through rigorous research activity in every aspect. The researchers at TMR keep a close watch on the market and extract beneficial growth-boosting points. These points help the stakeholders to strategize their business plans accordingly.
TMR researchers conduct exhaustive qualitative and quantitative research. This research involves taking inputs from the experts in the market, focused attention on recent developments, and others. This method of research makes TMR stand out from other market research firms.
Here's how Transparency Market Research helps the stakeholders and CXOs through the reports:
Inculcation and Evaluation of Strategic Collaborations: The TMR researchers analyze recent strategic activities like mergers, acquisitions, partnerships, collaborations, and joint ventures. All the information is compiled and included in the report.
Perfect Market Size Estimations: The report analyzes the demographics, growth potential, and capability of the market through the forecast period. This factor leads to the estimation of the market size and also provides an outline about how the market will retrieve growth during the assessment period.
Investment Research: The report focuses on the ongoing and upcoming investment opportunities across a particular market. These developments make the stakeholders aware of the current investment scenario across the market.
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.