Coal Water Slurry Market: Introduction
- Coal water slurry (CWS) is a type of fuel used to power gas turbines, boilers, and diesel engines and for heating in power stations. It is a mixture that contains fine coal particles suspended in water.
- Coal water slurry can be considered a clean energy fuel, as it produces a minimal amount of carbon (up to 1%) on combustion
- Key components of coal water slurry include water, coal, and additives. These components are fed in the coal wet milling process to create a liquid fuel that possesses properties similar to oil.
- Production of coal water slurry involves coal crushing if the original size of coal particles exceeds 10 mm. This crushed coal is then transferred to a wet milling machine for wet milling and homogenization.
- Performance of coal water slurry depends on various factors including its viscosity, calorific value, rate of sedimentation, ash content, and its ignition and combustion temperatures
- Coal water slurry is an explosion-proof and fire-proof fuel that can be used in a variety of applications such as diesel engines and boilers depending on size of the coal particle
Key Drivers of Global Coal Water Slurry Market
- Coal water slurry can be used to replace petroleum-based fuel in power generation applications. This, in turn, creates opportunities for new players entering the global coal water slurry market
- Growth of the global power sector is expected to be another major driver of the global coal water slurry market during the forecast period, as increase in the demand for uninterrupted power supply in developing countries such as China and India led by frequent blackouts, power cuts, and load shedding calls for usage of steam turbines for power generation, wherein CWS is used as an alternative source of fuel
- CWS fuel with its additives and additional filtration systems can be used in diesel-based 4-stroke and 2-stroke engines effectively. Diesel engines are used as mechanical engines and power generators in industrial applications. Thus, with rapid growth of the industrial sector in developing countries, the coal water slurry market in these countries is expected to expand at a significant rate during the forecast period.
Are you a start-up willing to make it big in the business? Grab an exclusive PDF sample of this report
Restraints of Global Coal Water Slurry Market
- Considering the environmental impact of using coal water slurry as an industrial burning fuel, two major factors are required to be studied:
- Carbon emissions: Various countries have passed regulatory measures for control of carbon and CO2 emissions. Also, industries using CWS as a fuel must use technologies that focus on the capture and disposal of particulate emissions.
- Water management: Water is one of the most important sources used in almost all industries and domestic applications. A careful study on water management and the magnitude of impact of using water for production of coal water slurry is required to be conducted.
Coal Water Slurry Market: Major Developments
- In October 2019, a detailed study was conducted by the Royal Society of Chemistry to determine the influence of different dispersants on rheological behavior of coal water slurry prepared from a low-quality coal. The study was focused on investigating factors such as surface properties of coal particles before and after the flotation treatment, solid content of CWS, and influence of dispersants on rheological behavior of CWS.
- In December 2015, LLC Amalthea-Service conducted pre-design combustion tests of CWS which was produced from coal fines in coal factories in Russia
- In 2014, the Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand (EGAT) started conducting a feasibility study to retrofit the 300-MW oil-fired power plant at Krabi, Thailand by using coal water slurry. Coal water slurry is expected to become a key technology for Thailand and is likely to help the country in achieving the recently announced target of 40% fuel mix for coal in the next few years.
Expanding operations in future? To get the perfect launch ask for a custom report
Asia Pacific to Offer Major Potential for Coal Water Slurry Market
- Based on region, the global coal water slurry market can be classified into North America, Asia Pacific, Europe, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- Asia Pacific continues to be the key region for cold water slurry market across the world and it is expected to offer lucrative opportunities for new entrants, owing to the rapid growth of power and industrial sectors in the region
Key Players Operating in Global Market
Major players operating in the global coal water slurry market are:
- Coal Water Slurry Fuel Equipment & Services
- Effective Energy Technologies GmbH
- JGC HOLDINGS CORPORATION
- Chip Energy
- Cynergi Holding S.A.
- Tai An Xinhuanneng
- Pingxiang Shui Mei Jiang Co., Ltd.
Global Coal Water Slurry Market, by Product
- High-concentration CWS
- Medium-concentration CWS
Global Coal Water Slurry Market, by End use Industry
- Electric Power
Global Coal Water Slurry Market, by Sales Channel
- Direct Channel
- Distribution Channel
Global Coal Water Slurry Market, Application
- Power Plant Boilers
- Diesel Engines
- Industrial Boilers & Furnaces
- Industrial Kilns
Global Coal Water Slurry Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.