Coal Water Slurry: Introduction
- High volatility in crude oil market and need of large investments in exploration of crude oil sources have led to widespread interest in coal conversion technologies
- Coal water slurry is a mixture of fine particles of pulverized coal and water. A typical coal water slurry consists of coal particles (maximum size of approximately 300 µm), water, and additives (dispersants or surfactants).
- As a fuel, coal water slurry emits less sulfur and nitrogen oxide. Storage & transport of coal water slurry requires no special conditions and can be cost effective. Coal water slurry offers good combustion efficiency compared to other conventional fuels. Performance of coal water slurry depends on various factors including its viscosity, calorific value, rate of sedimentation, ash content, and its ignition and combustion temperatures.
Key Drivers, Major Developments, and Restraints of Coal Water Slurry
- Growth of the global power sector is expected to be a major driver of the global coal water slurry market during the forecast period, as increase in demand for uninterrupted power supply in developing countries such as China and India led by frequent blackouts, power cuts, and load shedding calls for usage of steam turbines for power generation, wherein coal water slurry is used as an alternative source of fuel in steam turbines
- Coal water slurry (CWS) fuel with its additives and additional filtration systems can be used in diesel-based 4-stroke and 2-stroke engines effectively. Diesel engines are used as mechanical engines and power generators in industrial applications. Thus, rapid growth of the industrial sector in developing countries is estimated to boost the coal water slurry market.
- In 2014, the Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand (EGAT) started conducting a feasibility study to retrofit the 300-MW oil-fired power plant at Krabi, Thailand, by using coal water slurry. In December 2015, LLC Amalthea-Service conducted pre-design combustion tests of coal water slurry, which was produced from coal fines in coal factories in Russia. Thus, continuous assessment of coal water slurry as an alternative fuel is projected to propel the global coal water slurry market in the near future.
- Rise in awareness about renewable energy sources for power generation and water scarcity in some geographies across the globe are likely to hamper the coal water slurry market
COVID-19 Impact Analysis on Power Demand
- Governments of several countries across the globe have imposed stringent lockdowns to limit the spread of the coronavirus. Movement of individuals and economic activities, related to goods and services, have come to a halt because of lockdowns. This has adversely affected the demand for electricity for commercial as well as industrial purposes. Coal water slurry is used as alternative fuel in power generation. Therefore, sudden drop in demand for electricity is hampering the global coal water slurry market.
Coal Water Slurry Market Segmentation
- The global coal water slurry market can be segmented based on product, application, and end-use industry
- In terms of product, the global coal water slurry market can be segregated into high concentration coal water slurry, medium concentration coal water slurry, and others
- In terms of application, the global coal water slurry market can be divided into steam generation, diesel engine, and others
- In terms of end-use industry, the global coal water slurry market can be classified into power generation, chemicals & petrochemicals, and others
Coal Water Slurry Market: Regional Segmentation
- In terms of region, the global coal water slurry market can be split into Middle East & Africa, Latin America, Asia Pacific, Europe, and North America
- According to International Energy Agency, India’s electricity demand is projected to reach 1900 terawatt-hours by 2021-2022 and its carbon dioxide emission from coal combustion is projected to reach 3.3 Giga Tons (Gt) in 2030. Even distribution of electricity without power outage can be achieved by using coal water slurry as an alternative fuel. Thus, the coal water slurry market is anticipated to expand at a faster pace in India in Asia Pacific during the forecast period.
- The coal water slurry market in the U.S. is anticipated to expand at a faster pace. Utilities in the U.S. invested approximately US$ 144 Bn in electricity generation, transmission, and distribution infrastructure in 2016. Investment in annual smart grid setup in the U.S. rose from US$ 3.4 Bn in 2014 to US$ 4.8 Bn in 2016. These investments are projected to rise to US$ 13.8 Bn in 2024.
Key Players Operating in Global Market
- Effective Energy Technologies GmbH
- Cynergi Holding S.A.
- JGC HOLDINGS CORPORATION
- CARBON SLURRY FUEL
- GlobeCore GmbH
Global Coal Water Slurry Market: Research Scope
Global Coal Water Slurry Market, by Product
- High Concentration Coal Water Slurry
- Medium Concentration Coal Water Slurry
Global Coal Water Slurry Market, by Application
- Steam Generation
- Diesel Engine
Global Coal Water Slurry Market, by End-use Industry
- Power Generation
- Chemicals & Petrochemicals
Global Coal Water Slurry Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
Disclaimer: This ongoing market research study is a meticulously planned activity where a broad array of factors and aspects that shape the marketing environment and industry are taken into account. However, keeping in mind the constantly changing nature of business dynamics and changing strategic intents, we are always actively making iterations and modifications in our approaches. As always, we are ready to tailor our insights and guidance to suit your requirements. Engage with us to know what more is there for your CXOs.