Glass Bead Fillers: Introduction
- Glass bead filler materials are particles added to resins or binders that can improve specific properties and make products cheaper. Most glass fillers are short strands of glass fibers; however, increasing numbers of long strand grades are also available. Long strand versions can provide greater strength than the more traditional short strand varieties. The design has a key impact on the final strength, as orientation of the fibers is affected by the flow of the material. The injection molding process may or may not break some of the fibers, particularly in the case of long strands.
- A coupling agent can be used to improve adhesion between the fibers and the polymer. This results in a more even distribution of the fibers. As a result, coupled materials, as opposed to fillers, often demonstrate higher impact strength properties. Nylons filled with glass beads are also available in the market. These types of glass beads improve compressive strength, heat deflection temperature, tensile strength, and modulus (stiffness) when compared to unfilled grades. Furthermore, they are easier to process, and have uniform and predictable shrinkage and minimum warpage compared to glass fibers.
- Filler glass beads are used as reinforcement fillers for plastics and resins. Beads are being used as reinforcement fillers in the plastic industry. Size of the glass beads being used for reinforcement filler purpose is 710 microns and below. Depending upon the job, bigger size is also being used. Beads are silicon coated to provide better bond between glass beads and plastics.
- Reinforcements with glass beads offer benefits such as tensile strength, lower elongation, increase in flexural modulus, and triple the compressive strength of the finished product in some plastics
Key Drivers and Restraints of Global Glass Bead Fillers Market
- Ultrafine glass beads fillers are extensively used in paints & coating applications, as its properties help improve scratch, abrasion resistance, washability, and enhance the surface aspect properties in topcoats and sealers. Paints and coatings are widely used in building & construction, automotive, and other sectors. Growth of these sectors is boosting the demand for paints and coatings. Thus, rapid increase in demand for glass beads fillers in the paints & coating sector is estimated to drive the global glass beads fillers market during the forecast period.
- Glass beads fillers are employed in road marking materials. They help guide road users in the dark by reflecting the lights of cars, motorcycles, and bicycles. Glass spheres (retro) reflect the headlights of the vehicle to the driver, acting akin to a mirror. This leads to safe driving practice. Increase in infrastructure development in terms of connectivity of roads is anticipated to boost the global glass bead fillers market in the near future.
Glass Bead Fillers: Application Segment
- In terms of application, the global glass bead fillers market can be segmented into paints & coatings, engineering plastics, road marking, dental fillings, surface finishing, and others
- The paints & coating segment is expected to hold significant share of the of the global glass bead fillers market during the forecast period. The engineering plastics segment is also estimated to expand at a healthy CAGR in the near future, owing to the technological advancements in the plastic sector.
Covid-19 Impact on Glass Bead Fillers Market
- COVID-19 is affecting the global economy in three major ways: hampering production and demand, creating supply chain and market disruption, and financial impact on firms and financial markets
- The COVID-19 pandemic has had a swift and severe negative impact on the globally integrated industries such as construction and automotive. It has hampered the supply chain significantly. It is also expected to adversely affect manufacturing, distribution, and supply of glass bead fillers in the near future.
North America to Dominate Glass Bead Fillers Market
- In terms of region, the global glass bead fillers market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- North America is expected to be a key region of the global glass bead fillers market. It is anticipated to be followed by Asia Pacific. Growth of the market in these regions can be ascribed to increase in construction activities, expansion in the automotive sector, and technological advancements.
Key Manufacturers Operating in Global Glass Bead Fillers Market
The global glass bead fillers market was highly fragmented in 2019. Major players have prominent presence in developing countries. Key manufacturers operating for glass bead fillers in the global market include:
- India Glass Beads
- Sigmund Lindner GmbH
- Bio Spec Products Inc.
- Langfang Tenroads Glass Products Co.,Ltd.
- Hebei Chiye glass beads Co. Ltd.
- Crystal Mark, Inc.
- Mo-Sci Corporation
Global Glass Bead Fillers Market: Research Scope
Global Glass Bead Fillers Market, by Grade
- Short Strands Grade
- Long Strand Grade
Global Glass Bead Fillers Market, by Application
- Paints & Coatings
- Engineering Plastics
- Dental fillings
- Road Marking
- Surface Finishing
Interested in this report?
Get a FREE Brochure now!