Beta Thalassemia Testing Market: Introduction
- Beta thalassemia is a condition in which the production of hemoglobin reduces. Hemoglobin is the iron-containing protein in red blood cells that carries oxygen to cells throughout the body. Risk factors associated with thalassemia are family history and ancestry. The types of beta thalassemia depends on the severity. Beta thalassemia minor is also called beta thalassemia trait. People with beta thalassemia minor may have mild anemia; however, people with beta thalassemia intermedia have moderately severe anemia. People with Cooley's anemia, also called beta thalassemia major, experience severe symptoms and life-threatening anemia.
Key Drivers, Restrains and Opportunities of Global Beta Thalassemia Testing Market
- Beta thalassemia is relatively rare in the U.S., but one of the most common autosomal recessive disorders in the world. The estimated incidence is approximately 1 in 100,000 individuals in the general population. It is particularly prevalent in Middle East, Africa, Indian subcontinent, and the Mediterranean. Thus, an increase in incidence of beta thalassemia is likely to augment the market.
- Surge in adoption of advanced technologies for early diagnosis and treatment leading to increasing number of diagnostics tests conducted in private and public laboratories is a key factor boosting the demand for tests and subsequently, driving the market
- However, stringent government regulations hamper the beta thalassemia testing market
- Governments in developing countries are making significant investments toward modernization of healthcare infrastructure and the lifescience industry, which is likely to increase access to healthcare. This is expected to increase the demand for advance technologies. Furthermore, governments and non-government organizations are taking initiatives to increase public awareness and support screening and early detection in developing regions. This leads to an increase in the popularity of testing for diagnosis and consequently, offers significant opportunities in the market.
North America to Capture Major Share of Global Beta Thalassemia Testing Market
- North America is expected to account for a major share of the global beta thalassemia testing market. Expansion of the market in the region is attributed to the presence of key market players and well-established healthcare infrastructure in the region.
- The beta thalassemia testing market in Asia Pacific is projected to expand at a rapid pace during the forecast period. Surge in awareness regarding the early diagnosis and increase in numbers of cases with beta thalassemia are major factors that are likely to augment the market. For instance, according to an article published in Journal of Family Medicine and Primary Care, a study conducted in 2019, predominance of β-thalassemia minor (carriers) in India was between 3% and 8%.
Key Players Operating in Global Beta Thalassemia Testing Market
The global beta thalassemia testing market is highly concentrated due to the presence of key players. A large number of manufacturers hold major share in their respective regions. Growth strategies adopted by leading players are likely to drive the global beta thalassemia testing market.
Major players operating in the global beta thalassemia testing market are:
- 3B BlackBio Biotech India Limited
- Bio-Rad Laboratories, Inc.
- ViennaLab Diagnostics
- Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.
- PerkinElmer Inc.
- BioMedomics, Inc.
- Asper Biogene
- Tosoh Bioscience, Inc.
Global Beta Thalassemia Testing Market: Research Scope
Global Beta Thalassemia Testing Market, by Product
Global Beta Thalassemia Testing Market, by Technology
- Prenatal diagnosis
- Complete Blood Count
- DNA Testing
Global Beta Thalassemia Testing Market, by Type
- Thalassemia Major
- Thalassemia Intermedia
Global Beta Thalassemia Testing Market, by End-user
- Hospitals & Specialty Clinics
- Diagnostics Centers
Global Beta Thalassemia Testing Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Australia & New Zealand
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- GCC Countries
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
Interested in this report?
Get a FREE Brochure now!