Rosin Alcohol & Derivatives Market: Introduction
- Rosin is a hard, resinous material that is left when the volatile contents of turpentine are boiled. The turpentine from which rosin is obtained is distilled from oleoresin or crude turpentine, which, in turn, is obtained from the sap of coniferous trees, particularly the longleaf pine ('Pinus palustris') native to the Southeastern U.S. Rosin is also called colophony. A widely used rosin called tall oil rosin is obtained from tall oil, a resinous byproduct of the sulfate process of paper pulp production.
- Rosin alcohol and derivatives consist of several kinds of modified rosins, ester gums, rosin-based phenolic resins, and other rosin resins. Rosin alcohol and derivatives possess properties such as high viscosity, low solvent retention, low acidity, oxidation trend, and crystallization trend.
- Rosin derivatives are used for pharmaceutical purposes such as film coatings, matrix formation, drug delivery systems, and microencapsulation. They are employed in many industrial fields such as ink industry, coating industry, and epoxy curing agents. They are also used as adhesives. Furthermore, rosin derivatives can be utilized as reactive monomer or co-monomers in various polymerization systems.
- Rosin and its derivatives are often used as polymer additives. They play an important role as plasticizers and have specific importance in the paper industry. In the petroleum field, rosin derivatives are used as emulsifiers due to their amphiphilic nature. They are also used as corrosion inhibitors. Furthermore, rosin derivatives can be employed as oil spill dispersants.
Different End-use Industries of Rosin Alcohol & Derivatives Market
- Based on end-use industry, the rosin alcohol & derivatives market can be segmented into adhesives & sealants, food & beverages, coatings, electronics, inks, and others
- Adhesives & sealants is the dominant segment of the rosin alcohol & derivatives market. Rosin derivatives are used in hot melt adhesives (HMA) and pressure sensitive adhesives (PSA).
- Rosin-based derivatives act as natural materials as binders for inks to improve performance of fluidity, viscosity, drying, and printing adaptation.
- Rosin-based derivatives are used as tackifiers and softeners in chewing gums. They are also used in packaging applications with direct food contact. Led by the tackifying properties, rosin alcohol and derivatives are key ingredients for various hair removing products (including depilatory waxes). Rosin alcohol and derivatives are also employed in paints for road-marking across the globe. Gum rosin resin’s tackifying properties ensure that the paint stays on the asphalt.
Adhesives & Sealants End-use Industry Segment to Drive Rosin Alcohol & Derivatives Market
- The term ‘adhesive’ refers to a binding substance applied on the surface of materials in order to avoid separation. Adhesives and sealants are used in various applications such as automotive, construction, green energy, and industrial materials.
- Adhesives and sealants are replacing welding and mechanical fasteners in automotive parts. They help bond different materials and keep the vehicle weight minimal.
- Rosin alcohol and derivatives are used for hot melt adhesives, which are further utilized in book binding, flooring, labels, wood, and packaging applications
- Rosin alcohol and derivatives are also employed in pressure sensitive adhesives, which are further used in tapes, labels, and packaging
- Thus, rise in demand for adhesives and sealants in different applications is anticipated to boost the rosin alcohol & derivatives market
Asia Pacific Expected to Hold Major Share of Global Rosin Alcohol & Derivatives Market
- In terms of region, the global rosin alcohol & derivatives market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- Asia Pacific is a leading consumer of rosin alcohol and derivatives across the world, followed by Europe and North America. Asia Pacific is also expected to lead the global rosin alcohol & derivatives market in the near future, due to rise in the demand for rosin alcohol and derivatives in the adhesives & sealants sector in the region. Rise in construction activities in countries such as China, India, Singapore, Thailand, and Malaysia is fueling the demand for rosin alcohol and derivatives in these countries.
- The rosin alcohol & derivatives market in Europe is led by Germany, France, and the U.K. The market in Europe is primarily driven by the increase in demand for rosin alcohol and derivatives in architectural and automotive coatings in the region.
Key Players in Global Market
The global rosin alcohol & derivatives market is fragmented, with market players focusing on incorporating advanced technologies to gain higher market share. These players offer a complete portfolio of products and focus on different business strategies to strengthen their position.
Key players operating in the global rosin alcohol & derivatives market include:
- Foreverest Resources Ltd.
- United Resins
- Eastman Chemical Company
- Arakawa Chemical Industries, Ltd.
- VWR International, LLC
- D.S.V Chemcials Pvt. Ltd.
Global Rosin Alcohol & Derivatives Market: Research Scope
Global Rosin Alcohol & Derivatives Market, by End-use Industry
- Adhesives & Sealants
- Food & Beverages
- Others (cosmetics, etc.)
Global Rosin Alcohol & Derivatives Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.
Interested in this report?
Get a FREE Brochure now!