Powership Market: Introduction
- Powership is a special purpose ship where a power plant is installed to generate power. It caters to short-term energy needs. It uses heavy fuels such as bunker fuel or gas for producing power over a period of three to 10 years.
- In developing countries, some powerships are built as self-propelled powerships, which are ready to be plugged in as and when required in the power grid
- Powerships can be deployed in areas where disaster has struck and energy installations are damaged or destroyed. Powerships can be deployed to serve a state’s energy demand till the time the required infrastructure is developed.
Key Drivers & Restraints of Powership Market
- Installation of power plants takes longer time, while powerships can be deployed in a short span of around 120 days. They can be connected to the grid easily once fueled with heavy fuel oil or diesel. They begin output immediately, supplying directly to the transmission network from the high voltage substation maintained onboard. This alternative option for the generation of power is viable and is expected to drive the powership market in developing countries.
- Rise in demand for electricity in developing countries is attracting significant investment in the power generation sector. Powership is a viable option for generating power. It can be used widely in areas that lack power generation infrastructure. This is propelling the powership market.
- Lack of sufficient renewable energy generation options is anticipated to hamper the powership market. Additionally, fluctuation in prices of powerships is considered a major factor restraining the global powership market.
COVID-19 Impact Analysis
- Governments of several countries have imposed strict lockdowns to curb the spread of the Covid-19 pandemic. Building new ships requires workforce, which has been unavailable during the pandemic. Development of new ships has been declining owing to the shutdown of facilities. This is adversely affecting the new contracts for powerships.
- Many manufacturing companies are either shut down or running low on production capacity. This is hampering the demand for electricity. In turn, this is expected to negatively impact the global powership market.
Oil-fired Type Segment to hold Major Share of Global Market
- The global powership market can be segmented based on type, application, and region
- Based on type, the global powership market can be segregated into oil-fired and gas-fired. Oil-fired powership is largely used across the globe, as the availability of heavy fuel oil and its consumption is higher compared to that of the natural gas, which requires advanced infrastructure for storage and usage.
- As announced in the press release of Mitsui O.S.K.Lines dated March 29, 2019, Karpowership and MOL announced the LNG-to-Powership project under the name KARMOL, which is to be administered jointly in Nacala, Mozambique. This co-branded project with power generation capacity of 120MW is expected to create reliable supply of electricity for the people of Nacala, Mozambique.
- In 2020, Karpowership, a subsidiary of Karadeniz Energy Group, started using LNG as a source of fuel for powership instead of using heavy fuel oil, which emits toxic residuals. This has helped the company substantially curb the harmful emissions.
Asia Pacific to Dominate Global Powership Market
- In terms of region, the powership market can be divided into Latin America, Asia Pacific, Europe, North America, and Middle East & Africa
- China is the largest producer of energy in the world. Thus, Asia Pacific is anticipated to hold major share of the global powership market during the forecast period. Increase in urbanization and industrialization in China is expected to boost the demand for power in the country. This, in turn, is estimated to propel the demand for powerships in Asia Pacific.
- Rise in demand for economic yet efficient generation of power in a short span is driving the powership market in Middle East & Africa. Growth in demand for electricity is also increasing the load on the existing grid. This has led to power cuts during peak times. Powerships can be used to avoid disturbance in the supply of electricity. This is projected to drive the powership market in the region.
- Rise in demand for electricity in Middle East & Africa is also boosting the demand for powership, as the existing infrastructure is unable to meet the surging demand for electricity in the region
Key Players Operating in Global Market
Leading companies operating in the global powership market include:
- General Electric
- Volkswagen AG
- GAS Entec Co., ltd
- Karpowership ( member of Karadeniz Energy Group)
- Mitsui O.S.K.Lines
- Waller Marine Inc.
Powership Market, by Type
Powership Market, by Application
Powership Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.