Formaldehyde Market (Derivative: Urea Formaldehyde Resin, Phenol Formaldehyde Resin, Polyoxymethylene, Melamine Formaldehyde Resin, Pentaerythritol, Methylene Diphenyl Diisocyanate, Butanediol, Hexamethylenetetramine [Hexamine], and Others; Application: Resins, Fibers, Solvents, Preservatives, Plasticizers, Drying Agents, Coatings, and Other Chemical Intermediaries; and End-use Industry: Chemical, Agriculture, Building & Construction, Personal Care & Cosmetics, Healthcare, Textile, Automotive, and Others) - Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends, and Forecast, 2021-2031
- Chemicals & Materials
- 306 Pages
Companies Narrow Down Focus on Essential Products during COVID-19 Outbreak
The COVID-19 pandemic has affected business activities in the formaldehyde market. Since formaldehyde and its derivatives are virtually present in almost all end-use applications, companies in the formaldehyde market are narrowing down their focus in cleaning agents, disinfectants, and other essential products during the pandemic. This is evident since these products are witnessing unprecedented demand in countries, where a high number of active coronavirus cases is being reported, such as Australia, Canada, India, and Pakistan, among others.
Manufacturers in the formaldehyde market are increasing efforts to ensure business continuity and cater to mission-critical projects in order to keep economies running during the pandemic. The global chemicals industry is expected to grow in a staggered manner due to the ongoing pandemic and is predicted to fully recover and reach its original growth rate by the end of 2021.
To gauge the scope of customization in our reports Ask for a Sample
Catalytic Oxidation Systems Help in Management of Formaldehyde Byproducts
The formaldehyde market is projected to advance at a modest CAGR of ~4% during the forecast period. However, chemical manufacturers are in need of efficient pollution control systems that lead to minimum operating costs in order to destroy the hazardous air pollutant (HAP) byproducts after the formaldehyde production process. Anguil - a manufacturer of industrial pollution control technology is supporting companies in the formaldehyde market to invest in robust catalytic oxidation systems that help to meet all applicable regulatory requirements.
Catalytic oxidation systems are being increasingly used for the management of formaldehyde byproducts. Equipment providers are closely working with formaldehyde manufacturers to examine possible pollution control solutions. This has led to the popularity of the catalytic oxidation systems for VOC (Volatile Organic Compound) control. Effective shell and tube heat exchanger in these systems helps to preheat the incoming process stream prior to the catalyst bed.
Get an idea about the offerings of our report from Report Brochure
U.S. Construction Industry Holds Lucrative Revenue Opportunities for Formaldehyde-based Glues
Formaldehyde is one of the most well-studied and well-understood compounds. Companies in the formaldehyde market are mapping incremental opportunities in building & construction applications to expand their revenue streams as compared to regular applications such as in agriculture, personal care, and textile. It has been found that the construction industry in the U.S. consumes more than 60% of the total formaldehyde produced in that region. Thus, the U.S. holds lucrative and stable revenue opportunities for manufacturers.
The companies in the U.S. formaldehyde market are increasing their output capacities in glues made from formaldehyde-based chemistry as a building block for construction applications. Formaldehyde delivers exceptional bonding agents and high quality performance at a much economical price to end users. The composite wood panels are being publicized for their sustainability and fueling the demand for formaldehyde-based glues for furniture applications.
Can Formaldehyde-containing Cosmetics be Hazardous to Health?
A common perception that formaldehyde can be potentially hazardous to health is limiting its applications in the cosmetics & personal care industry. In order to address this issue, major companies are educating consumers about the necessity and advantages of formaldehyde when used judicially in products as per regulatory standards. Formaldehyde is a great preservative that is used to preserve cadavers, which medical students use in their anatomy courses. Such preservative properties are being used in the production of cleansers, moisturizers, and other beauty products.
The U.S. FDA (Food and Drug Administration) does not give formal approval for formaldehyde-releasing agents in cosmetics, whereas the European Union (EU) has banned formaldehyde in beauty products. Companies in the global and regional formaldehyde market are gaining awareness about such findings and strategically setting up their business networks. They are boosting output capabilities for hair products such as keratin treatment items to generate income streams.
Looking for Regional Analysis or Competitive Landscape in Formaldehyde Market for Performance OEM , ask for a customized report
Healthcare, agriculture, and cleaning products are becoming key focus points for manufacturers amid the ongoing coronavirus outbreak to keep economies running during these unprecedented times. The formaldehyde market is estimated to surpass the revenue of US$ 15 Bn by the end of 2031. However, applications, such as formaldehyde-free microencapsulation and anti-formaldehyde paints are decreasing the usage of formaldehyde. Hence, companies should adapt their production as per consumer demands and tap opportunities in high growth potentials including in construction, healthcare, and agriculture industries. Formaldehyde manufacturers are using catalytic oxidation systems for efficient VOC and HAP management in order to adhere to stringent pollution control standards.
Formaldehyde Market: Overview
- In terms of value, the global formaldehyde market is expected to surpass US$ 15 Bn by 2031, expanding at a CAGR of ~4% during the forecast period
- Formaldehyde is a chemical compound produced by the oxidation of methanol. Methanol is the primary raw material used in the formulation of formaldehyde. Formaldehyde is an important component for the production of urea-alkyd resins, which are used largely for the output of binding materials for particleboards and medium density plywood. Formaldehyde is widely used in various industries such as plywood, automobile, and construction.
- Growth of the building & construction industry and continuous demand for formaldehyde in the furniture sector are driving the global formaldehyde market. Formaldehyde is primarily used to produce wood panels and adhesives. Formaldehyde-based resins are used in construction and furniture sectors due to their strong adhesive strength and moisture resistance properties.
Increase in Demand for Formaldehyde in End-use Industries: Key Driver of Formaldehyde Market
- Formaldehyde is extensively employed in various end-use industries such as building & construction, chemical, agriculture, personal care & cosmetics, healthcare, and automotive
- Formaldehyde is considered one of the most important industrial and research chemicals. The property of formaldehyde to chemically react, and subsequently build resilient structures makes it one of the important chemicals for building blocks in manufacturing, furniture, and construction sectors, due to its strength and moisture resistance. Formaldehyde-based resins also provide better dimensional stability and mold resistance. Thus, increase in demand for formaldehyde in these sectors is expected to drive the global formaldehyde market during the forecast period.
- Formaldehyde is also used in the production of vaccines, disinfectants, and personal care products such as toothpastes and mouthwash due to its excellent antibacterial properties. Rising demand from these products is projected to boost the demand for formaldehyde.
Formaldehyde Market: Major Challenges
- The European Union has adopted a directive that states that maximum concentration of 0.2% by weight or volume of formaldehyde and paraformaldehyde should be used in cosmetics. These substances are permitted in all cosmetic formulations, except nail hardeners and oral hygiene products. Additionally, labels of cosmetic products are required to list formaldehyde and paraformaldehyde as ingredients when the concentration of either exceeds 0.05%. These regulations are anticipated to adversely affect the formaldehyde market.
Formaldehyde Market: Prominent Applications
- Based on application, the global formaldehyde market has been divided into resins, fibers, solvents, preservatives, plasticizers, drying agents, coatings, and other chemical intermediaries
- In terms of volume, the resins segment held a major share of the global formaldehyde market in 2020. Formaldehyde is extensively used in the production of resins such as urea formaldehyde resin, phenol formaldehyde resin, and melamine formaldehyde resin. This is estimated to boost the demand for formaldehyde during the forecast period.
- Formaldehyde-based resins are utilized in the building & construction sector due to their properties such as high tensile strength, scratch resistance, high heat distortion temperature, low water absorption, mold shrinkage, high surface hardness, and low cost
- Formaldehyde-based resins are employed in the textile industry to help binding of dyes and pigments to fabrics and prevent colors from running when clothes are washed
Asia Pacific to Dominate Formaldehyde Market
- In terms of region, the global formaldehyde market has been be split into Europe, Latin America, Asia Pacific, North America, and Middle East & Africa
- In terms of volume, Asia Pacific held the leading share of the global formaldehyde market in 2020. This can be ascribed to the constant expansion of automotive and building & construction sectors in the region. Furthermore, growth in population, expansion of the middle class, and increase in disposable income of consumers are likely to drive the building & construction sector in the region. This, in turn, is likely to boost the demand for formaldehyde in Asia Pacific.
Formaldehyde Market: Competition Landscape
- Prominent manufacturers operating in the global formaldehyde market include
- Celanese Corporation
- Perstorp Group
- BASF SE
- Georgia-Pacific Chemicals
- Alder S.p.A
- Dynea AS
- Foremark Performance Chemicals
- Johnson Matthey
- Pörner Ingenieurgesellschaft mbH.
- Simalin Chemicals Industries Limited
- Kanoria Chemicals & Industries Ltd.
- Balaji Formalin Private Limited
- Atul Ltd
- Sprea Misr
Formaldehyde Market: Major Developments
- The global formaldehyde market is fragmented with the presence of a few large-sized players and large numbers of small players operating in China
- The global formaldehyde market is dominated by BASF SE, Hexion Inc., PJSC Metafrax, and Ercros S.A. The four companies cumulatively accounted for 25% share of the global formaldehyde market in 2018.
- On April 9, 2019, Dynea AS announced it had entered into a contract to build a 100 KTA formaldehyde plant with PJSC Metafrax at Gubakha, Perm, Russia
- In November 2016, Celanese Corporation announced it had increased the prices of formaldehyde (50%) by US$ 0.020 per pound and those of formaldehyde (37%) by US$ 0.015 per pound
Formaldehyde Market – Scope of the Report
The new study on the global formaldehyde market published by Transparency Market Research (TMR) presents a wealth of information on key market dynamics including drivers, market trends, and challenges, as well as structure of the global formaldehyde market. TMR’s study offers valuable information on the global formaldehyde market to illustrate how growth would discern during the forecast period of 2021 to 2031.
Key indicators of market growth, which include value chain analysis as well as supply chain analysis and compounded annual growth rate (CAGR), are elucidated in TMR’s study in a comprehensive manner. This data can help readers interpret quantitative growth aspects of the global formaldehyde market during the forecast period.
An extensive analysis of leading market players’ business strategies is also featured in TMR’s study on the global formaldehyde market. This can help readers understand principal factors to foresee the growth of the global formaldehyde market. In this study, readers can also find specific data on avenues for qualitative and quantitative growth of the global formaldehyde market, which would guide market players in making apt decisions in the near future.
Key Questions Answered in TMR’s Study on Formaldehyde Market
- What would be the Y-o-Y growth rate of the global formaldehyde market between 2021 and 2031?
- What is the influence of changing trends on the global formaldehyde market?
- Would Asia Pacific continue to remain the most profitable region for manufacturers of formaldehyde in the near future?
- Which factors are expected to hamper the global formaldehyde market during the forecast period?
- Which are the leading companies of the global formaldehyde market?
A unique research methodology is utilized by TMR to conduct comprehensive research on the global formaldehyde market and arrive at conclusions on growth prospects for the market. This research methodology is a combination of primary and secondary research, which helps analysts warrant the accuracy and reliability of the conclusions drawn.
Secondary sources referred to by analysts during the production of the report on the global formaldehyde market include statistics from company annual reports, SEC filings, company websites, World Bank database, investor presentations, regulatory databases, government publications, and market white papers. Analysts also interviewed senior managers, portfolio managers, CEOs, VPs, and market intelligence managers, who contributed to the TMR’s study on the global formaldehyde market as a primary source.
These primary and secondary sources provided exclusive information during interviews, which served as a validation from leading players operating in the global formaldehyde market. Access to an extensive internal repository and external proprietary databases allows this report to address specific details and questions about the global formaldehyde market with accuracy. The study also uses the top-down approach to assess numbers for each segment and the bottom-up approach to counter-validate them. This has helped in making TMR’s estimates on future prospects of the global formaldehyde market more reliable and accurate.
Formaldehyde Market – Segmentation
TMR’s study on the global formaldehyde market segments the market based on application, region, derivative, and end-use industry. Changing market trends and other crucial market dynamics associated with these segments of the global formaldehyde market are discussed in detail.