- Disinfectants are chemical agents that are used for the removal of microorganisms on non-living objects and surfaces. The health issue among people is pushing the need for surface disinfectants, as the rigid surfaces will be the most harmful transporters of pathogens for a long time in healthcare facilities.
- Disinfectants vary in their antimicrobial function, hardness, corrosion methods, and compliance with fabrics and gloves. The main use of such disinfectants is in combating infectious diseases.
- The increasing need for improved hygiene in specialty clinics, hospitals, and ambulatory surgical centers to avoid the spread of infections among patients and staff has driven demand for surface disinfectants. There are different types of surface disinfectants, including sprays, liquids, and wipes, which provide a wide variety of choices for consumers to select from based on their preference.
Are you a start-up willing to make it big in the business? Grab an exclusive PDF sample of this report
Key Drivers and Restraints of Global Disinfectants Market
Rise in Prevalence of Infectious Diseases to Boost Demand for Disinfectants
- Changing lifestyle and increasing globalization has propelled the incidence rate of various diseases such as tuberculosis and covid-19. The increase in number of patients suffering from the diseases mentioned above has boosted the uptake of medical instruments (surgical, non-surgical, and diagnosis tools), which in turn, has driven the demand for disinfectors by hospitals, diagnostic centers, medical institutes, and research laboratories.
- According to the World Health Organization (WHO) estimates, on April 2, 2020, coronavirus or covid-19 accounted for around 896,475 confirmed cases and 45,525 deaths globally and the number is expected to increase at a rapid pace in the near future. This would increase the use of disinfectants among healthcare providers (life sciences industry, hospitals, pharmaceutical, etc.), commercial users (hospitality and hotel industry, public hygiene, industries, etc.), and domestic users (household, research, etc.).
Are you a start-up willing to make it big in the business? Grab an exclusive PDF Brochure of this report
Increase in Incidence of Hospital-acquired Infections
- Healthcare-associated infections (also termed nosocomial infections) are defined as infections (fungal and bacterial) that patients acquire during the course of their stay in hospitals. Hospital-acquired infections (HAI) represent a significant cause of mortality worldwide.
- Post-operative sepsis, catheter-associated urinary tract infections, pneumonia, acquiring covid-19 while treating the patients, and blood stream infections are the major types of HAI in adults and healthcare professionals. Increase in incidence of various HAIs is anticipated to increase the usage of disinfectants, as they are efficient in disinfecting medical instruments and preventing HAIs.
- According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), around 274,098 surgical site infections (SSIs) are reported per year (approximately 2 per 100 surgeries). The costs for treating these infections can reach as high as US$ 60,000 per patient.
Hydrogen Peroxide Disinfectants Segment to Dominate Global Market
- In terms of products, the global disinfectants market can be classified into quaternary ammonium compounds, chlorine compounds, alcohols, aldehydes, phenolic compounds, hydrogen peroxide, and others
- Rise in utilization of hydrogen peroxide for disinfecting surgical, pharmaceutical, and life-science instruments and increase in number of hospitals across the globe are expected to boost the segment in the near future.
- Based on end-user, the global disinfectants market can be divided into healthcare providers (life sciences industry, hospitals, pharmaceutical, etc.), commercial users (hospitality and hotel industry, public hygiene, industries, etc.), and domestic users (household, research, etc.)
North America to Dominate Global Disinfectants Market
- In terms of region, the global disinfectants market can be segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- North America is expected to dominate the market for disinfectants. Increasing prevalence of tuberculosis and covid-19; and rising demand for various advanced disinfectants are expected to propel the market in the region.
- Europe comprises major countries such as Germany, France, the U.K., Spain, and Italy, along with other countries. The geriatric population is more prone to infectious disease due to reduced immunity and longer stay in hospitals, as wound healing is slow in elderly people. The European Commission (Eurostat) has estimated that the geriatric population in Europe would reach 525 million by 2035. The British Geriatric Society stated that apart from the geriatric population, a number of medical conditions such as diabetes mellitus and cardiovascular disease are also associated with cardiovascular disease.
- This large and increasing elderly population would contribute significantly to the number of increased infectious disease due to their higher susceptibility to various chronic as well as acute disorders. Hence, increasing geriatric population boosts the demand for disinfectants in Europe.
Leading Players Operating in Global Disinfectants Market
The global disinfectants market was highly fragmented in 2019. Key players operating in the global disinfectants market are:
- Novartis Ag
- 3M Company
- Novartis AG
- Johnson & Johnson
- STERIS plc
- Getinge Group
- Cardinal Health
- Becton, Dickinson And Company
- GlaxoSmithKline plc.
Global Disinfectants Market: Research Scope
Global Disinfectants Market, by Product
- Quaternary Ammonium Compounds
- Chlorine Compounds
- Phenolic Compounds
- Hydrogen Peroxide
Global Disinfectants Market, by End-user
- Healthcare Providers
- Commercial Users
- Domestic Users
Global Disinfectants Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Australia & New Zealand
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- GCC Countries
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note:Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.