- Disinfectants are chemical agents that are used for the removal of microorganisms on non-living objects and surfaces. The health issue among people is pushing the need for surface disinfectants, as the rigid surfaces will be the most harmful transporters of pathogens for a long time in healthcare facilities.
- Disinfectants vary in their antimicrobial function, hardness, corrosion methods, and compliance with fabrics and gloves. The main use of such disinfectants is in combating infectious diseases.
- The increasing need for improved hygiene in specialty clinics, hospitals, and ambulatory surgical centers to avoid the spread of infections among patients and staff has driven demand for surface disinfectants. There are different types of surface disinfectants, including sprays, liquids, and wipes, which provide a wide variety of choices for consumers to select from based on their preference.
Are you a start-up willing to make it big in the business? Grab an exclusive PDF sample of this report
Key Drivers and Restraints of Global Disinfectants Market
Rise in Prevalence of Infectious Diseases to Boost Demand for Disinfectants
- Changing lifestyle and increasing globalization has propelled the incidence rate of various diseases such as tuberculosis and covid-19. The increase in number of patients suffering from the diseases mentioned above has boosted the uptake of medical instruments (surgical, non-surgical, and diagnosis tools), which in turn, has driven the demand for disinfectors by hospitals, diagnostic centers, medical institutes, and research laboratories.
- According to the World Health Organization (WHO) estimates, on April 2, 2020, coronavirus or covid-19 accounted for around 896,475 confirmed cases and 45,525 deaths globally and the number is expected to increase at a rapid pace in the near future. This would increase the use of disinfectants among healthcare providers (life sciences industry, hospitals, pharmaceutical, etc.), commercial users (hospitality and hotel industry, public hygiene, industries, etc.), and domestic users (household, research, etc.).
Are you a start-up willing to make it big in the business? Grab an exclusive PDF Brochure of this report
Increase in Incidence of Hospital-acquired Infections
- Healthcare-associated infections (also termed nosocomial infections) are defined as infections (fungal and bacterial) that patients acquire during the course of their stay in hospitals. Hospital-acquired infections (HAI) represent a significant cause of mortality worldwide.
- Post-operative sepsis, catheter-associated urinary tract infections, pneumonia, acquiring covid-19 while treating the patients, and blood stream infections are the major types of HAI in adults and healthcare professionals. Increase in incidence of various HAIs is anticipated to increase the usage of disinfectants, as they are efficient in disinfecting medical instruments and preventing HAIs.
- According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), around 274,098 surgical site infections (SSIs) are reported per year (approximately 2 per 100 surgeries). The costs for treating these infections can reach as high as US$ 60,000 per patient.
Hydrogen Peroxide Disinfectants Segment to Dominate Global Market
- In terms of products, the global disinfectants market can be classified into quaternary ammonium compounds, chlorine compounds, alcohols, aldehydes, phenolic compounds, hydrogen peroxide, and others
- Rise in utilization of hydrogen peroxide for disinfecting surgical, pharmaceutical, and life-science instruments and increase in number of hospitals across the globe are expected to boost the segment in the near future.
- Based on end-user, the global disinfectants market can be divided into healthcare providers (life sciences industry, hospitals, pharmaceutical, etc.), commercial users (hospitality and hotel industry, public hygiene, industries, etc.), and domestic users (household, research, etc.)
North America to Dominate Global Disinfectants Market
- In terms of region, the global disinfectants market can be segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- North America is expected to dominate the market for disinfectants. Increasing prevalence of tuberculosis and covid-19; and rising demand for various advanced disinfectants are expected to propel the market in the region.
- Europe comprises major countries such as Germany, France, the U.K., Spain, and Italy, along with other countries. The geriatric population is more prone to infectious disease due to reduced immunity and longer stay in hospitals, as wound healing is slow in elderly people. The European Commission (Eurostat) has estimated that the geriatric population in Europe would reach 525 million by 2035. The British Geriatric Society stated that apart from the geriatric population, a number of medical conditions such as diabetes mellitus and cardiovascular disease are also associated with cardiovascular disease.
- This large and increasing elderly population would contribute significantly to the number of increased infectious disease due to their higher susceptibility to various chronic as well as acute disorders. Hence, increasing geriatric population boosts the demand for disinfectants in Europe.
Leading Players Operating in Global Disinfectants Market
The global disinfectants market was highly fragmented in 2019. Key players operating in the global disinfectants market are:
- Novartis Ag
- 3M Company
- Novartis AG
- Johnson & Johnson
- STERIS plc
- Getinge Group
- Cardinal Health
- Becton, Dickinson And Company
- GlaxoSmithKline plc.
Global Disinfectants Market: Research Scope
Global Disinfectants Market, by Product
- Quaternary Ammonium Compounds
- Chlorine Compounds
- Phenolic Compounds
- Hydrogen Peroxide
Global Disinfectants Market, by End-user
- Healthcare Providers
- Commercial Users
- Domestic Users
Global Disinfectants Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Australia & New Zealand
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- GCC Countries
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.