Polymers Market for Personal Care & Cosmetics: Highlights
- Polymers are used in numerous personal care and cosmetic products. The various properties possessed by polymers offer distinct advantages when they are utilized in formulations. Cosmetic chemists can create high performance products by using polymers. Broad spectrums of polymers; natural polymers, synthetic polymers, organic polymers as well as silicones are employed in a wide range of cosmetic and personal care products.
- Polymers play a role of rheology modifier in cosmetics and personal care products. Often cosmetic products are prepared using water-based formulations, and are typically low in viscosity. This is where the polymers are added to thicken the cosmetic and personal care products. Natural polymers, such as polysaccharides, starch, xanthan gum, guar gum, carrageenan, alginates, pectines, gelatin, and agar, are sometimes used to increase viscosity of water-based systems. Occasionally, natural polymers are modified for personal care use such as cellulose derivatives (hydroxyethylcellulose, methyl cellulose, aand hydroxypropylcellulose). Commonly employed synthetic polymers are acrylic acid-based polymers, polyacrylamides, and alkylene oxide based homopolymers and copolymers.
- Apart from affecting the rheological profile of the formulation, polymers also influence application of the product, water sensitivity of the formulation, and delivery of the active ingredients. Natural and synthetic ingredients are utilized as thickeners for a water-based system. Anhydrous systems combine one or more fatty ‘structuring agents’ to impart structural rigidity and to facilitate mold release by contracting slightly upon cooling.
Key Drivers of Polymers Market for Personal Care & Cosmetics
- Rising demand for specialized skincare products is projected to fuel the polymers market for personal care & cosmetics during the forecast period. Various companies are launching cosmetic ingredients due to a rise in the demand for personal care & cosmetics products. For instance, in April 2019, Dow launched its personal care ingredient innovations at booth K80. This includes Dow’s first bio-based hair fixative, MaizeCareStyle Polymer, Planet savvy DOWSIL FA PEPS Silicone Acrylate, and EPITEX9 Polymer; the company‘s brand new hybrid film former. Therefore, an increase in the demand for a specialized skin care product is projected to drive the polymers market for personal care & cosmetics in the near future.
- Sales through e-commerce are increasing in developing countries such as Brazil, South Africa, China, India, and Mexico, due to rise in disposable income and growing awareness about personal hygiene among middle class people in the emerging economies. This, in turn, is projected to propel the market of polymers for personal care & cosmetics. According to the Economic Times, in India, Flipkart and Amazon touched gross sales of US$3.5-3.7 billion together, during the festival season in 2019, showing a rise of 33% over last year. Amazon has recorded notable share of transacting customers and purchases across all marketplaces in India, especially in fashion and beauty categories.
Polymers Market for Personal Care & Cosmetics: Covid-19 Impact
- The COVID-19 pandemic has had a negative impact on the global economy. It has adversely affected various industrial sectors by hampering the supply chain. Purchase and consumption behavior have changed significantly across various sectors with months of consumer lockdown and closure of international supply chains and retail businesses. This has adversely impacted the global polymers market for personal care & cosmetics.
- The combination of extended lockdowns in developed market economies and domestic social distancing has deepened the adverse impact on emerging market economies. Longer lockdowns led to severe impact on household income, corporations' liquidity, and bank asset quality.
Asia Pacific to be Key Region of Global Polymers Market for Personal Care & Cosmetics
- In terms of region, the global polymers market for personal care & cosmetics can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa. In North America, the U.S. emphasizes on promotion of investments in its end-use industries. This is estimated to boost the polymers market for personal care & cosmetics in the country.
- In terms of demand, Asia Pacific held a major share of the market in 2019. Asia Pacific is a highly promising region of the global market. This trend is expected to continue in the next few years. Consistent rise in production and export of polymers for personal care & cosmetics in Asia Pacific is driving the demand for polymers in the region.
- North America and Europe also held a significant share of the global personal care & cosmetics market in 2019. The trend is expected to continue during the forecast period.
- The market in Latin America and Middle East & Africa is estimated to expand at a moderate pace during the forecast period. End-use industries in Mexico have been expanding at a steady pace, and the market in the UAE is also expanding significantly. This is projected to drive the demand for polymers for personal care & cosmetics in Latin America and Middle East & Africa, respectively, during the forecast period.
Global Polymers Market for Personal Care & Cosmetics: Research Scope
Key Manufacturers Operating in Market
The global polymers market for personal care & cosmetics was highly fragmented in 2019. Key manufacturers operating in the global market include:
- BASF SE
- Akzonobel N.V.
- Croda International Plc
- The Dow Chemical Company
- Eastman Chemical Company
Global Polymers Market for Personal Care & Cosmetics, by Type
Global Polymers Market for Personal Care & Cosmetics, by Function
- Protective Barriers
- Aesthetic Enhancers
Global Polymers Market for Personal Care & Cosmetics, by Application
- Skin Care
- Hair Care
- Oral Care
Global Polymers Market for Personal Care & Cosmetics, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.