Polypropylene Carbonate: Introduction
- Polypropylene carbonate is a copolymer of carbon dioxide and propylene oxide. It is soluble in polar solvents such as acetone, methyl ethyl ketone, ethyl acetate, dichloromethane, and chlorinated hydrocarbons. It is insoluble in ethyl alcohol, ethylene glycol, water, and aliphatic hydrocarbons.
- Polypropylene carbonate is used as a binder. It is used to increase the toughness of some epoxy resins. It is unsuitable as an oxygen barrier; therefore, it is used in applications where diffusion of oxygen through the plastic is desired.
- Polypropylene carbonate and polyethylene carbonate are used as sacrificial binders in the ceramics industry. Polypropylene carbonate binders are amorphous, with glass transition temperature of 40°C. Polyethylene carbonate has glass transition temperature of 25°C.
Key Drivers and Restraints of Polypropylene Carbonate Market
- Polypropylene carbonate is primarily used as a binder due to superior binding that it offers to structures. In the ceramic industry, polypropylene carbonate is used as sacrificial binder, especially alumina and silicon carbide. It is suitable for preparation of dielectric materials, piezoelectric ceramics, and other special electro-ceramics due to its low content of sodium. Polypropylene carbonate is also employed as a toughening agent in thermoset and epoxy resins to increase the toughness of these resins. This is expected to drive the global polypropylene carbonate market in the near future.
- Growth in industrialization and stringent regulations by various government bodies regarding air emissions from different industries such as plastic manufacturing industries, especially in developing regions across the globe, is boosting the preference of non-hazardous, bio-based chemicals and biodegradable products. Composites of polypropylene carbonate with starch (PPC/starch) can be used as biodegradable plastics. This is anticipated to boost the global polypropylene carbonate market in the near future.
- The usage of polypropylene carbonate in many applications is challenging due to its poor thermal stability, mechanical strength, and dimensional stability. This is restraining the global polypropylene carbonate market.
Polypropylene Carbonate: Application Segment
- In terms of application, the global polypropylene carbonate market can be divided into electronics, ceramics, biodegradable plastics, and others
- The ceramics segment is projected to hold major share of the global polypropylene carbonate market during the forecast period. Polypropylene carbonate is used as a binder in ceramic industry. This is its major application in the building & construction industry.
- Polypropylene carbonate with starch is used as a biodegradable plastic. Rise in regulations on emissions from plastic manufacturers is driving the polypropylene carbonate market.
- The electronics segment is projected to follow the biodegradable plastics segment during the forecast period. High demand for pressing, sintering, and injection molding operations to fabricate tapes, electronic pastes, and parts in electronics industry is driving the global polypropylene carbonate market.
COVID-19 Impact on Polypropylene Carbonate Market
- On January 30, 2020, the International Health Regulations Emergency Committee of the World Health Organization (WHO) declared the Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak a public health emergency of international concern. Originating in China, the virus has spread to at least 214 countries and territories around the world.
- Several governments and private sector businesses are operating at a limited capacity or have ceased operations completely due to recent events surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic
- Manufacture of various consumer goods and other products across the globe came to a halt due to the unavailability of raw materials, shortage of labor, etc. This is expected to hamper the polypropylene carbonate market.
Asia Pacific to Hold Leading Share of Polypropylene Carbonate Market
- In terms of region, the polypropylene carbonate market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- Asia Pacific is expected to hold major share of the global polypropylene carbonate market, followed by North America and Europe, during the forecast period. Rise in demand for waterproofing agents and plasticizers in China, Japan, and India is expected to create lucrative opportunities for the market in the region during the forecast period.
- Increase in private investments in developing economies in Asia Pacific, such as Indonesia and Vietnam, is a major factor anticipated to drive the market in the region during the forecast period
- The polypropylene carbonate market in Latin America and Middle East & Africa is projected to expand at a moderate pace in the near future. Polypropylene carbonate is imported into countries such as Brazil, Mexico, and South Africa due to limited presence of manufacturing companies in these countries.
Key Manufacturers Operating in Polypropylene Carbonate Market
The polypropylene carbonate market was consolidated in 2020. Major players have prominent presence in developed and developing countries. Key manufacturers operating in the polypropylene carbonate market include:
- BASF SE
- SK Energy
- Empower Materials
- Cardia Bioplastics
- Jiangsu Zhongke Jinlong-CAS Chemical
- Inner Mongolia Mengxi High-Tech
Polypropylene Carbonate Market: Research Scope
Polypropylene Carbonate Market, by Product
- Injection Molding Grade
- Food Contact Grade
Polypropylene Carbonate Market, by Application
- Biodegradable Plastics
Global Polypropylene Carbonate Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.