Dimethyl Sulfoxide Market: Overview-
- Dimethyl sulfoxide, also called DMSO, is a dipolar aprotic solvent. It has high flash point as well as high boiling point. In addition, it possesses excellent miscibility with polar and non-polar solvents. It is commonly produced by using black liquor, a byproduct of paper mills.
- It is commonly employed in applications such as pharmaceuticals, agrochemicals, and fine chemicals
- Based on grade, the global dimethyl sulfoxide market can be segmented into reagent grade, technical grade, spectrophotometric, and anhydrous. Reagent-grade dimethyl sulfoxide is primarily used as a solvent for non-spectrophotometric methods of analysis. Also, it can be used as a solvent for gas chromatography. On the other hand, technical-grade dimethyl sulfoxide is often used as a solvent in cleaning and paint stripping.
- In terms of application, the global dimethyl sulfoxide market can be divided into active pharmaceutical ingredients & intermediates, paint stripping, polymer processing, agrichemicals, and others. As a cleaning solution, DMSO is often used for removal of organic materials from production lines and manufacturing equipment. Owing to high solubility of DMSO in polymers, it is used in reaction solvents and in polymer processing and cleanup.
- Non-toxic nature of DMSO aids in the formulation of hazardous solvents in paint stripping formulations. Due to its high solvency, it is employed in the manufacture of highly concentrated formulations. DMSO is used as a solvent for a wide range of active ingredients used in herbicides, insecticides, and fungicides such as propiconazole, pinoxaden, pyroxasulfone, mentaconazole, imazethaphyr, imazamethabenz-methyl, trubupirimphos, cyfluthrin, glysophate, and imidacloprid.
Are you a start-up willing to make it big in the business? Grab an exclusive PDF sample of this report
Key Drivers of Global Dimethyl Sulfoxide Market
- Attributes of DMSO such as its amphiphilic nature, high solvency, miscibility, and relatively low toxicity at dilute concentrations make it an ideal solvent in a wide range of applications including active pharmaceutical ingredients and intermediates, paint stripping formulations, polymer processing, and agrochemicals
- High solvency power of DMSO is expected to drive the demand for DMSO in the agrochemical sector. In addition, rising demand for non-toxic solvents is likely to boost the global DMSO market during the forecast period. Furthermore, increasing need for improving crop productivity coupled with growing support by governments by offering subsidies and rebates to agriculturists is expected to drive the demand for fertilizers and herbicides worldwide. This, in turn, is projected to boost the demand for DMSO in the near future.
Availability of Substitutes to Hamper Global Dimethyl Sulfoxide Market
- Cyrene is a potential substitute for DMSO and it can be used as a solvent for antibacterial drugs. Cyrene is often known by the name of dihydrolevoglucosenone. The product is made from waste biomass. Furthermore, Cyrene has the same solvation characteristics as those of DMSO and it has low toxicity. However, a major drawback of Cyrene is that it does not offer protection from mediated termination of bacteria.
Europe and North America to Dominate Global Dimethyl Sulfoxide Market
- Based on region, the global market for dimethyl sulfoxide can be segmented into five regions North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- Europe and North America are expected to dominate the global market during the forecast period. Both these regions have high manufacturing capabilities as well as capital required for manufacture of dimethyl sulfoxide. Furthermore, producers of dimethyl sulfoxide in Europe and North America are extensively engaged in evaluating the usage of dimethyl sulfoxide in other applications such as electronics.
- Growth of the agriculture sector in developing nations such as China and India is expected to drive the demand for agrochemicals in the near future. This, in turn, is projected to drive the demand for DMSO for use in the production of agrochemicals in these countries, due to its properties such as high solvency, miscibility, and low toxicity.
- The dimethyl sulfoxide market in Latin America as well as Middle East & Africa is concentrated, with only a few number of producers operating in these regions
Expanding operations in future? To get the perfect launch ask for a custom report
Key Players Operating in Global Dimethyl Sulfoxide Market
The global dimethyl sulfoxide market is highly concentrated, with a few manufacturers operating in the market. These producers are likely to account for a major share of the global market. Some of the manufacturers operating in the global dimethyl sulfoxide market are:
- Arkema Group
- Gaylord Chemical Corporation
- Toray Fine Chemicals Co. Ltd.
- Hubei Xingfa Chemicals Group
Global Dimethyl Sulfoxide Market: Research Scope
Global Dimethyl Sulfoxide Market, by Grade
Global Dimethyl Sulfoxide Market, by Application
- Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients & Intermediates
- Paint Stripping
- Polymer Processing
Global Dimethyl Sulfoxide Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
The report on the global weighbridge market is a compilation of first-hand information, qualitative and quantitative assessment by market analysts, and inputs from market experts and market participants across the value chain. The report provides in-depth analysis of parent market trends, macroeconomic indicators, and governing factors along with market attractiveness of each segment. The report also maps the qualitative impact of various factors on various segments of the market across regions.
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note:Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.