Perfluorinated Sulfonic Acid: Introduction
- Perfluorinated sulfonic acid (PFSA) ionomers are members of a class of ion-conductive polymers known for their remarkable ion conductivity and chemical-mechanical stability. PFSAs are commonly used as solid-electrolyte in electrochemical technologies, especially as the proton-exchange membrane (PEM) in polymer-electrolyte fuel cells (PEFCs) and sodium-ion conductor in the chlor-alkali industry.
- Perfluorinated sulfonic acid is often used as ion-selective membrane. Important applications include cation exchange membranes for fuel cells, PEM water electroyzers, separators for redox flow batteries, electrodialysis, and electrochemical hydrogen compressors.
Key Drivers and Restraints of Perfluorinated Sulfonic Acid Market
- Perfluorinated sulfonic acid is primarily used in fuel cells. Demand for perfluorinated sulfonic acid is expected to rise in various industrial applications such as electronics, chemical, textile, and packaging.
- Perfluorinated sulfonic acid has properties such as gas separating capability and high proton conductance. Therefore, it is used in the ion-exchange membrane. It helps enhance the effectiveness and increase the performance of the ion-exchange membrane. Thus, demand for perfluorinated sulfonic acid is increasing, primarily in energy storage applications. This is expected to drive the global perfluorinated sulfonic acid market during the forecast period.
- Increase in demand of perfluorinated sulfonic acid in the electronics industry is also expected to create significant opportunities for the perfluorinated sulfonic acid market in the near future
Perfluorinated Sulfonic Acid: Form Segment
- In terms of form, the global perfluorinated sulfonic acid market can be divided into membrane, dispersion, powder, and pellet
- The powder segment is projected to hold major share of the of the global perfluorinated sulfonic acid market during the forecast period, as the powder form of perfluorinated sulfonic acid possesses attractive properties for catalytic applications such as high acid strength (super-acid), and exceptional chemical and thermal stability
- The membrane form segment is projected to follow the powder form segment during the forecast period. The membrane form of perfluorinated sulfonic acid possesses various advantages. It can work in the high-temperature region of proton exchange membrane fuel cell (PEMFC) with reduced humidification. High demand for industrial applications is driving the global perfluorinated sulfonic acid market.
Perfluorinated Sulfonic Acid: Application Segment
- Based on application, the global perfluorinated sulfonic acid market can be segmented into conductive film, fuel cell, catalyst, and others
- The fuel cell segment is projected to gain higher share of the global market during the forecast period. Fuel cell is used for automotive systems, stationary applications such as prime power for buildings, small-scale grid-connected micro-combined heat and power generators, residential use, off-grid backup power systems, and portable applications, such as consumer electronics or industrial power backup systems. This is projected to boost the global market for perfluorinated sulfonic acid in the next few years.
- The conductive film segment is projected to hold key share of the global perfluorinated sulfonic acid market in the near future. Conductive films are integral components of many devices, including electrochromic glass, solar panels, and LCD and OLED displays. They are most typically produced using indium tin oxide (ITO), a degenerately doped n-type semiconductor. They are majorly used in electronics.
COVID-19 Impact on Perfluorinated Sulfonic Acid Market
- On January 30, 2020, the International Health Regulations Emergency Committee of the World Health Organization (WHO) declared the Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak a public health emergency of international concern. Originating in China, the virus has spread to at least 214 countries and territories around the world.
- Several governments and private sector businesses are operating at a limited capacity or have ceased operations completely due to recent events surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Manufacture of various consumer goods and other products across the globe came to a halt due to the unavailability of raw materials, shortage of labor, etc. This is expected to hamper the perfluorinated sulfonic acid market.
Asia Pacific to Hold Leading Share of Perfluorinated Sulfonic Acid Market
- In terms of region, the perfluorinated sulfonic acid market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- Asia Pacific is expected to hold a major share of the global perfluorinated sulfonic acid market, followed by Europe and North America, during the forecast period, as industrial development is rising in Asia Pacific. Emergence of new enterprises and infrastructure upgrades are leading to an increase in demand for perfluorinated sulfonic acid. Rise in investment in R&D is also driving the demand for perfluorinated sulfonic acid in Asia Pacific.
- The perfluorinated sulfonic acid market in Europe and North America is projected to expand at a rapid pace in the near future.
Key Manufacturers Operating in Perfluorinated Sulfonic Acid Market
The perfluorinated sulfonic acid market was consolidated in 2020. Major players have prominent presence in developed and developing countries. Key manufacturers operating in the perfluorinated sulfonic acid market include:
- Asahi Kasei Corporation
- Dongyue Group
- E. I. du Pont de Nemours and Company
- Jiangsu Tianjiayi Chemical Co., Ltd.
- Shanghai Fluorochem Industry Co.,Ltd
- Solvay SA
- AGC Chemicals
- Ionomr Innovations Inc.
Perfluorinated Sulfonic Acid Market: Research Scope
Perfluorinated Sulfonic Acid Market, by Form
Perfluorinated Sulfonic Acid Market, by Application
- Conductive film
- Fuel cell
Global Perfluorinated Sulfonic Acid Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.