Organic Carbamates: Introduction
- Organic carbamates play an important role in modern drug discovery and medicinal chemistry. It is one of the key ingredients in many approved therapeutic agents.
- Organic carbamates are widely used as peptide bond surrogates in medicinal chemistry owing to their chemical stability and capability to permeate cell membranes. Ability to modulate inter- and intramolecular interactions with target enzymes or receptors is one of the key features of organic carbamates.
- Various types of organic carbamates are widely used as agricultural chemicals such as pesticides, fungicides, and herbicides. Organic carbamates also play a significant role in as starting materials, intermediates, and solvents in chemical and paints industries.
Types of Organic Carbamates
- In terms of types, the global organic carbamates market can be divided into methyl carbamate, ethyl carbamate, propyl carbamate, butyl carbamate, and others
- Methyl carbamate is used in a wide range of applications in polymer, pharmaceuticals, agricultural chemicals, and textile industries. In the textile industry, methyl carbamate is employed in the production of dimethylol methyl carbamate-based resins. These resins are applied on polyester cotton blend fabrics to provide good crease-angle retention and flame-retardant properties. They are primarily used in crop protection chemicals, which help protect crops, fruits, and vegetables from a variety of pests. However, as per a study by Agilent Technologies, long term and low scale exposure of methyl carbamates can create adverse impact on human and animal health. Long term exposure to carbamates adversely affects the nervous system. It also causes neuromuscular effects and persistent behavioral changes.
- Ethyl carbamate is naturally found in smaller quantities in several types of fermented foods and drinks such as alcoholic beverages. Ethyl carbamate and methyl carbamate have been found in smaller quantities in wines, sake, beer, brandy, whiskey, and other fermented alcoholic beverages. It is formed by reacting ethanol with urea or carbamic acid. However, its application in pharmaceutical industry has been banned in some countries such as the U.S. and Japan due to its carcinogenic properties. Now, it is only used as anesthetic in animal experiments. It is used for its long duration of anesthetic effects on animals.
- Carbamates are also employed in plastic and paints industries. Polyurethane plastics contain many carbamate groups as part of their structure. The term “urethane” in “polyurethane” refers to carbamates groups. However, it is not used in production of urethanes. Urethane plastics are produced by reacting alcohol with an isocyanate. Urethanes produced by a non-isocyanate route are called carbamates. Iodopropynyl butyl carbamate, another type of organic carbamate, is a water-soluble preservative used globally in paints & coatings, wood preservatives, personal care, and cosmetics industries. It is used as an effective fungicide at very low concentrations in cosmetic products.
Covid-19 Impact on Organic Carbamates Market
- The COVID-19 pandemic has marginally impacted end-use industries of organic carbamates. Majority of demand for organic carbamates is generated from agrochemicals such as herbicides, pesticides, and other crop protection chemicals.
- Demand for agricultural products such as food grains, fruits, and vegetables has surged during the pandemic due to panic buying from consumers. Reports of panic buying and food hoarding have proliferated in cities around the world during the Covid-19 pandemic.
Asia Pacific to Hold Significant Share of Global Organic Carbamates Market
- In terms of region, the global organic carbamates market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- The organic carbamates market in Asia Pacific is anticipated to expand at a rapid pace during the forecast period. It is estimated to be followed by the market in Latin America.
- China, India, Vietnam, Italy, and Brazil are key growth markets for all types of organic carbamates. Asia Pacific is a prominent producer of agricultural products such as rice, wheat, and vegetables. Hence, the requirement for organic carbamates as pesticides is high in the region. Crop-based pesticides are expected to drive the organic carbamates market in Asia Pacific.
- The market in Europe is estimated to expand in the near future, as farmers are focusing on agriculture. This is projected to boost the usage of organic carbamates for crops in the region.
Key Players Operating in Global Organic Carbamates Market
Key players operating in the global organic carbamates market include:
- Tokyo Chemical Industry Co., Ltd.
- VWR International LLC
- Merck KGaA
- Toronto Research Chemicals
- MP Biomedicals
- Prasol Chemicals Ltd.
- Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc.
- BLD Pharmatech Ltd.
Global Organic Carbamates Market: Research Scope
Global Organic Carbamates Market, by End-use Industry
Global Organic Carbamates Market, by Type
- Methyl Carbamate
- Ethyl Carbamate
- Propyl Carbamate
- Butyl Carbamate
Interested in this report?
Get a FREE Brochure now!