Methylchloroisothiazolinone Market: Overview
- Methylchloroisothiazolinone (MCI) is a widely used preservative in personal care products such as liquid cosmetics; and water-based paints. Methylchloroisothiazolinone offers antibacterial and anti-fungal properties.
- Methylchloroisothiazolinone is also employed in the manufacture of paper coatings as well as industrial processes
- Methylchloroisothiazolinone is used in combination with methylisothiazolinone. The mixture of both is known as ‘Kathon.’
Rise in Demand from Paint & Coating Industry to Drive Methylchloroisothiazolinone Market
- Rise in demand for water-based paints is driving the demand for methylchloroisothiazolinone. Expansion of building & construction and automobile industries in developing regions is driving the demand for water-based paints and coatings.
- Volatility in prices of raw materials is likely to hamper the global methylchloroisothiazolinone market in the near future
- Various countries have enacted regulations to restrict the usage of methylisothiazolinone. Increase in government regulations on the usage of chemicals such as methylchloroisothiazolinone in cosmetics and personal care manufacturing is expected to hamper the market. For instance, the usage of methylisothiazolinone has been banned in leave-on cosmetic products in the European Union.
- Raw materials used to produce methylchloroisothiazolinone are facing supply shortages due to the industrial shutdown caused by the COVID-19 outbreak. Disruption of raw material supply is projected to hamper full-scale operations of companies operating in the market.
- Economic slowdown triggered by the COVID-19 pandemic is also adversely affecting the demand for methylchloroisothiazolinone, as many manufacturing facilities have been temporarily shut down. The pandemic has also impacted product and inventory transportation, as logistics services have been hampered due to the COVID-19 outbreak.
Liquid Form Segment to Offer Lucrative Opportunities
- Based on form, the global methylchloroisothiazolinone market can be segmented into liquid and powder
- The liquid segment is anticipated to dominate the global methylchloroisothiazolinone market during the forecast period. Growth of the segment can be ascribed to the increase in consumption of liquid methylchloroisothiazolinone in the manufacture of water-based paints.
Preservative Application Segment to Hold Major Share of Market
- Based on application, the global methylchloroisothiazolinone market can be divided into pharmaceutical intermediates, analytical reagents, preservatives, coating intermediates, and others
- The preservatives segment is expected to drive the global methylchloroisothiazolinone market during forecast period. Methylchloroisothiazolinone is widely used as a preservative in the production of several personal care products such as cosmetics and baby care products.
Personal Care End-use Segment to Constitute Significant Market Share
- Based on end-use, the global methylchloroisothiazolinone market can be segregated into paints & coatings, personal care, drugs & pharmaceuticals, paper, and others
- The personal care segment dominated the global methylchloroisothiazolinone market in 2020. Rise in demand for personal care products across the globe is driving the methylisothiazolinone market in developing regions.
- Paints & coatings segment is projected to offer lucrative opportunities during the forecast period. Methylisothiazolinone is used as preservative to produce water-based paints, as it contains higher proportion of preservatives. Increase in demand for water-based paints due to growth in automotive and construction & building industries is augmenting the demand for methylchloroisothiazolinone.
Asia Pacific to Account for Significant Share of Global Methylchloroisothiazolinone Market
- In terms of region, the global methylchloroisothiazolinone market can be classified into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- Asia Pacific is anticipated to hold significant share of the global methylchloroisothiazolinone market in the near future
- Increase in demand for methylchloroisothiazolinone in paints & coatings and personal care industries in countries in Asia Pacific such as China and India is anticipated to drive the market in the region. Expansion of the personal care industry in Asia Pacific is likely to boost the methylchloroisothiazolinone market in the region. Increase in per capita income and rise in spending on personal care products are also driving the personal care industry in the region.
- North America is also anticipated to hold key share of the global methylchloroisothiazolinone market during the forecast period
- The market in Latin America and Middle East & Africa is projected to expand at a steady pace during the forecast period
Key Players in Market
The global methylchloroisothiazolinone market was consolidated in 2020. Prominent players operating in the global methylchloroisothiazolinone market seek to enter into partnership agreements and joint ventures to enter the domestic markets.
Key players operating in the global methylchloroisothiazolinone market include:
- Sharon laboratories
- Santa Cruz Biotechnology
- Promchem, Spectrum Chemical
- Leap Labchem
- Guangzhou ZEAL FUN Cosmetic Co., Ltd
Global Methylchloroisothiazolinone Market: Research Scope
Global Methylchloroisothiazolinone Market, by Form
Global Methylchloroisothiazolinone Market, by Application
- Pharmaceutical Intermediates
- Analytical Reagents
- Coating Intermediates
Global Methylchloroisothiazolinone Market, by End-use
- Paints & Coatings
- Personal Care
- Drugs & Pharmaceuticals
Global Methylchloroisothiazolinone Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
Interested in this report?
Get a FREE Brochure now!