Closed Cell Expanded Perlite: Introduction
- Closed cell expanded perlite, also known as vitrified microbead, is primarily used as a key raw material in the production of inorganic thermal insulation mortar, thermal insulation coating, refractory brick, and enamel material. Closed cell expanded perlite provides many benefits owing to its inert, fire resistant, thermal, and acoustic properties.
- Closed cell expanded perlite can act as a substitute for many traditional lightweight aggregates such as fly ash, glass bead, floating beads, and polyphenyl granules. It has wide range of applications in various industries such as agriculture, chemical, metallurgy, and building materials.
- Key players such as Xinyang Caster New Material Co Ltd. and Gulf perlite LLC produce closed cell expanded perlite in the following different sizes: 18-30 mesh, 30-50 mesh, 50-70 mesh, 70-90 mesh, and 90-120 mesh.
- The typical composition of closed cell expanded perlite includes 70%-75% silicon dioxide (SiO2); 12%-15% aluminum oxide (Al2O3); 3%-5% potassium oxide (K2O); 3%-4% sodium oxide (Na2O); 0.5%-2% iron oxide (Fe2O3); 0.5%-1.5% calcium oxide (CaO); and 0.2%-0.7% magnesium oxide (MgO)
Key Drivers of Global Closed Cell Expanded Perlite Market
- Rise in demand for lightweight construction materials is positively impacting the closed cell expanded perlite market. Increase in usage of gypsum plasterboard as construction material due to its lightweight property is estimated to drive the demand for closed cell expanded perlite in the near future.
Application of Closed Cell Expanded Perlite
- Closed cell expanded perlite is widely used in construction applications owing to its excellent insulation, light weight, and fire resistance and sound dampening properties. It is also used in the production of Portland cement, gypsum plasters, ceiling tiles, mortar, concrete, and lightweight cement plasters.
- Closed cell expanded perlite is used as soil moisture retention additive in agricultural applications. Closed cell expanded perlite manufactured by Gulf Perlite LLC has water holding capacity of 800%. According to the research conducted by International Center for Biosaline Agriculture (ICBA), expanded perlite helps reduce the consumption of water for irrigation purposes by 50%. In addition to its water saving benefits and promotion of plantation growth, closed cell expanded perlite is used as natural additive to reduce soil mixture weight by up to one-third of its overall weight. Demand for closed cell expanded perlite is high in agriculture-based economies such as India, Italy, Brazil, Vietnam, Thailand, and China due to its outstanding property of water retention.
- Closed cell expanded perlite can be used in high temperature applications such as hot topping, ladle topping, and production of refractory blocks and bricks in the steel & foundry industry
- Closed cell expanded perlite is also employed as a key ingredient to produce oil well cement. It has extremely low packing density. This reduces the density of products and saves costs.
Covid-19 Impact on Closed Cell Expanded Perlite Market
- The COVID-19 pandemic has severely impacted the core end-use industries of closed cell expanded perlite such as steel and construction. According to the World Steel Association, global demand for steel is expected to contract by 6.4% to 1,654 MT (million tons) due to the COVID-19 crisis.
- Lockdown caused by COVID-19 pandemic has halted construction activities across the world. Further extension of the lockdown in countries in Asia Pacific such as India, Thailand, China, and Vietnam is estimated to hamper the sales of construction materials such as closed cell expanded perlite.
- Decline in demand for closed cell expanded perlite in major end-use sectors is estimated to negatively impact the market in the current fiscal year. However, demand is likely to bounce back when the global restriction on construction activities starts to ease.
Asia Pacific to Hold Significant Share of Global Closed Cell Expanded Perlite Market
- In terms of region, the global closed cell expanded perlite market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- Asia Pacific is a major consumer of closed cell expanded perlite across the globe. The region is likely to witness significant rise in demand for closed cell expanded perlite owing to large number of ongoing and upcoming infrastructure projects in the region.
- Significant expansion of the construction industry in the Middle East countries such as the UAE, Saudi Arabia, and Oman is projected to boost the demand for closed cell expanded perlite in these countries in the near future
Key Players Operating in Global Market
- High initial capital investment and enactment of various government regulations on the usage of closed cell expanded perlite are estimated to hamper the entry of new players in the market
Key players operating in the global closed cell expanded perlite market include:
- Xinyang Caster New Material Co Ltd.
- Omya AG
- Henan Blider Mining Product Co., Ltd
- Henan Daye Metallurgy Casting Material Co., Ltd.
- Gulf Perlite LLC
- Carolina Perlite Company
- Aegean Perlite SA
- AUSPERL Pty Ltd
- Supreme Perlite Company,
- Bergama Perlite
Global Closed Cell Expanded Perlite Market: Research Scope
Global Closed Cell Expanded Perlite Market, by End-use Industry
- Building & Construction
- Plasters & Renders
- Ceramic Tile Adhesives
- Insulation Materials
- Paints & Coatings
- Plastic Manufacturing
- Agriculture & Horticulture
- Refractory Brick
Global Closed Cell Expanded Perlite Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
Interested in this report?
Get a FREE Brochure now!