Chromogenic Materials: Introduction
- Chromogenic materials change color when subjected to an external influence.
- Different types of chromism are named after the type of external condition that causes them to change color. These changes are reversible and are generally used to indicate the temperature of the surface.
- A particular type of smart material, known as chromogenics, can be used for large area glazing in buildings, automobiles, planes, and certain types of electronic displays. Usage of chromogenic materials in designing of residential interiors enables designers to make premises promisingly visible by emitting color signals, which under certain environmental conditions, are invisible to eyes. This allows the increase of comfort and safety of the designed environment.
Key Drivers and Restraints of Global Chromogenic Materials Market
- The global chromogenic materials market is expected to expand significantly due to the advancements in processing technologies. Growth of the construction industry has further boosted the demand for chromogenic materials, as these materials have opened new technological trajectories for the improvement of microclimatic and interior comfort of buildings, which increases energy savings and luminous presence.
- Rise in usage of smart materials in the building & construction industry is augmenting the demand for chromogenic materials. These materials help save energy and provide comfortable environment for living space.
- Chromogenic windows are used in vehicles as privacy or security partitions in limousines, taxis, specialty vehicles, etc. Of the total cars produced annually, approximately 8% are luxury models that are eligible for features such as automatically dimming rearview mirrors or variable opacity sunroofs. Increase in sale of luxurious cars in developed regions has boosted the need for glazing windows for security and privacy purposes. This is expected to boost the chromogenic materials market during the forecast period.
- Cost is one of the important criteria while producing chromogenic materials. The prices of chromogenic materials may vary widely due to differences in raw material and processing costs. This is the major restraint of the global chromogenic materials market.
Chromogenic Materials: Application Segment
- Based on application, the chromogenic materials market can be segmented into smart windows, thermal control lenses, sunglasses, fabricated hand bags, bath toys, infant spoons, and others
- Rise in demand for advanced vehicles is boosting the demand for chromogenic materials. Besides this, chromogenic materials are used for improving luminous in housing interiors. This is expected to propel the global demand for chromogenic materials in the near future.
- Besides the automobile segment, the building & construction segment accounts for large share of the global chromogenic materials market. Infant spoons and bath toys for infants are manufactured using chromogenic materials. This is expected to drive the demand for chromogenic materials in the near future.
COVID-19 Impact on Chromogenic Materials Market
- Since the beginning of 2020, the global economy has been experiencing downturn with the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic. The COVID-19 pandemic is adversely affecting the production and distribution of chromogenic materials.
- Governments of several countries have imposed strict lockdowns to curb the spread of the COVID-19 pandemic. Many manufacturing companies are either shut down or running low on production capacity.
- Decrease in industrial activities due to the pandemic has also been adversely impacting the global chromogenic materials market
Asia Pacific Holds Major Share of Global Chromogenic Materials Market
- In terms of region, the global chromogenic materials market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- Asia Pacific is likely to hold dominant share of the global chromogenic materials market during the forecast period. Rapid urbanization and industrialization in various emerging markets has contributed to the growth of the chromogenic materials market in the region. Thailand, India, China, and Indonesia are projected to be the key countries of the chromogenic materials market in Asia Pacific in the near future.
- Chromogenics cover any visibly switchable technology useful for glazing, mirrors, transparent displays, and a variety of other applications. Inclination towards the technology from the people in Asia Pacific is expected to drive the global chromogenic materials market during the forecast.
- North America also holds key share of the global chromogenic materials market. Cost-efficiency and easy adaptability are primary factors responsible for the growth of the market in the region.
Key Manufacturers Operating in Global Chromogenic Materials Market
The global chromogenic materials market was consolidated in 2020. Major players have prominent presence in developed and developing countries. Key manufacturers operating in the global chromogenic materials market include:
- WeeTect. Inc
- Changzhou Yapu New Materials Co. Ltd.
- Magna Glass and Window Company Inc.
- Econtrol-Glass Gmbh & Co. KG
- Nikon Corporation.
- Zhuhai Kaivo Optoelectronic Technology Co. Ltd.
Global Chromogenic Materials Market: Research Scope
Global Chromogenic Materials Market, by Type
Global Chromogenic Materials Market, by Application
- Smart Windows
- Thermal Control Lenses
- Fabricated Hand Bags
- Bath Toys
- Infant Spoons
Global Chromogenic Materials Market, by End-use
- Paints & Inks
- Building & Construction
Global Chromogenic Materials Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
Interested in this report?
Get a FREE Brochure now!