Dimethyl Carbonate Market
Dimethyl Carbonate Market (Grade: Industrial, Battery, and Pharmaceutical; and End Use: Solvents [Paints & Coatings, Adhesives, and Cleaning Agents & Others], Alternative Fuel Additives, Polycarbonate Production, Pharmaceuticals, Pesticides, Lithium-ion Batteries, and Others) - Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends, and Forecast, 2020 - 2030
- Chemicals & Materials
- 227 Pages
Transesterification Technology Instrumental in Production of Emission-reducing Fuel Additives
Organic carbonates are gaining increased applicability in various chemical and biotechnical processes, owing to their advantageous attributes. Likewise, dimethyl carbonate is being highly publicized for its versatile chemical reactivity in the production of alternate fuel additives and cleaning agents. Manufacturers in the dimethyl carbonate market are grabbing incremental opportunities by increasing the applicability of DMC as a solvent in the synthesis of polymers, flavoring agents, and pesticides, among others. Moreover, DMC is being used as an electrolyte in lithium-ion batteries, owing to its low toxicity and efficient dissolving abilities.
Companies in the dimethyl carbonate market are increasing their research efforts to innovate in new synthesis technologies. As such, the transesterification of propylene carbonate and methanol to produce dimethyl carbonate is emerging as a mature technology. This technique is playing an instrumental role in the production of fuel additives that help to reduce vehicle emissions, thus preventing the risks of health issues among individuals.
To gauge the scope of customization in our reports Ask for a Sample
High Demand for DMC in China for Polycarbonate Production Boosts Dimethyl Carbonate Market Growth
Dimethyl carbonate is becoming an important chemical raw material, owing to its good biodegradability, polarity, and reactivity, which is being channelized in the production of polycarbonates, fuel additives, and cleaning solvents. New synthesis technologies such as the synthesis of dimethyl carbonate from urea and methanol is becoming popular recently. Companies in the dimethyl carbonate market are unlocking revenue opportunities with rapid advancements in polycarbonate production and lithium batteries in China. The high demand for DMC in polycarbonate production and lithium batteries is expected to bolster growth of the global dimethyl carbonate market.
Get an idea about the offerings of our report from Report Brochure
The synthesis of DMC via transesterification of propylene carbonate and methanol holds promising potentials for the production of paints and coatings, owing to its advantages of less waste generation and less equipment corrosion. As such, manufacturers are increasing efforts to develop highly efficient solid catalysts and are increasing focus in new three-phase catalytic distillation technologies. They are innovating in new methods for DMC separation from DMC-methanol azeotrope with low energy consumption.
Green Synthesis of Dimethyl Carbonate Gains Popularity as Cost-efficient Method
Carbon is an abundant element and is one of the key elements in fuels and polymers. This has encouraged companies in the dimethyl carbonate market to convert carbon dioxide (CO2) into useful chemicals such as dimethyl carbonate (DMC), owing to the non-toxic attributes of carbon. This trend is anticipated to grow, since traditional processes such as phosgenation involve drawbacks such as the use of highly toxic and corrosive phosgene gas and the formation of large amounts of inorganic salts. Hence, companies in the dimethyl carbonate market are increasing their R&D efforts to gain efficacy in the green synthesis of DMC.
Manufacturers are adopting methods that involve direct synthesis of dimethyl carbonate from CO2 and methanol in order to gain efficacy in green chemistry. As such, green synthesis of DMC is growing popular as a cost efficient method, since methanol is a less expensive raw material. As such, DMC is being used as a precursor for polycarbonate synthesis.
COVID-19 Crisis Affects Production of Polycarbonates and Lithium Batteries in China
Ongoing developments in the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic are negatively impacting the dimethyl carbonate market. The novel virus is disrupting supply chains and affecting the business in China, since Chinese manufacturers are aggressive in polycarbonate and lithium battery production. Due to lockdown situations in most countries that have surging number of COVID-19 patients, manufacturing plants have been temporarily shut down until the infection subsides. As opposed to India, governments have relaxed regulations in orange and green zones. Thus, companies in the India dimethyl carbonate market can re-activate their production activities to minimize the slump in revenue generation.
Manufacturers are adopting contingency plans in order to revive market growth. They are establishing skeleton-size crews to ensure the well-being and safety of workers and employees. Companies are adopting dynamic measures to respond against volatile demands and changing market scenario.
Looking for Regional Analysis or Competitive Landscape in Dimethyl Carbonate Market, ask for a customized report
The COVID-19 outbreak has caused a slowdown in the production of polycarbonates and lithium-ion batteries in China. As such, more than 50% of the DMC in China is being produced via green synthesis of propylene carbonate (PC) and methanol to comply with environmental regulations. Manufacturers are increasing focus in several types of ionic liquids that play an instrumental role in the synthesis of DMC.
Different catalysts are acquiring prominence in DMC production technologies. However, homogenous catalysts are prone to deactivation and are difficult to separate in the process of DMC production. Hence, manufacturers should use heterogeneous catalysts that are easy to separate and hold promising potential in large-scale industrial applications.
Dimethyl Carbonate Market: Overview
- Dimethyl carbonate is an organic compound classified as a carbonate ester. It is colorless, transparent, and flammable. Being denser than water, it is slightly soluble in water. Dimethyl carbonate has pleasant odor and relatively mild toxicology. It can be completely dissolved in organic solvents such as ketone, ester, and alcohol. Dimethyl carbonate forms azeotrope with water and it is non-corrosive to metals. It is rapidly replacing toxic reagents, such as phosgene, as a precursor in the production of polycarbonates.
- Dimethyl carbonate is primarily used as an intermediate in the manufacture of polycarbonates. Polycarbonates are types of plastics known for their impact resistance, high dielectric strength, and optical transparency. In Asia Pacific, dimethyl carbonate is largely employed in the manufacture of pesticides, followed by pharmaceuticals and intermediate chemicals.
- In terms of value, the global dimethyl carbonate market is anticipated to expand at a CAGR of 5.4% during the forecast period to reach value of US$ 729.3 Mn by 2030
- North America was a prominent region of the global dimethyl carbonate market in 2019. The market in the region is expected to expand at a CAGR of more than 4.5% between 2020 and 2030.
- Polycarbonates produced from dimethyl carbonate are non-toxic, unlike those produced from phosgene. The manufacturing process of dimethyl carbonate does not use any chlorinated solvent; therefore, it does not lead to any environmental issues.
- The global paints & coatings industry has been expanding significantly, due to high demand for paints and coatings in the building & construction industry in Asia Pacific. Increase in construction activities in Middle East & Africa are also projected to drive the global industry. This, in turn, is likely to fuel the demand for dimethyl carbonate during the forecast period.
Rise in Demand for Industrial-grade Dimethyl Carbonate in Chemical Manufacturing Industry
- Among grades, industrial was the major segment of the global dimethyl carbonate market in 2019. It accounted for more than 80% of the market share in the year. It is estimated to continue its dominance in the global dimethyl carbonate market between 2020 and 2030. A major application of dimethyl carbonate lies in its usage in the manufacture of solvents such as paints and coatings, adhesives, and cleaning agents as well as alternative fuel additives. Additionally, the battery segment is estimated to witness lucrative opportunities during the forecast period, owing to growth of the global automotive industry.
Rise in Demand for Dimethyl Carbonate in Various End-use Applications
- Among end uses, polycarbonate production was the major segment, holding more than 40% share of the global dimethyl carbonate market in 2019. It is estimated to continue its dominance between 2020 and 2030. Consumption of dimethyl carbonate in polycarbonate manufacture in the region is considerably high. Dimethyl carbonate serves as an eco-friendly alternative for phosgene and toxic methylating agents, such as dimethyl sulfate and methyl chloride. Additionally, dimethyl carbonate can replace ethanol in gasoline applications.
Regional Overview of Dimethyl Carbonate Market
- In terms of volume, Asia Pacific constituted a major share of the global dimethyl carbonate market in 2019. Demand for dimethyl carbonate in the region is anticipated to increase during the forecast period, due to rapid growth in the usage of polycarbonates in Asia Pacific. The market in Asia Pacific is estimated to continue to expand at a rapid pace during the forecast period, owing to rise in the demand for dimethyl carbonate in various end-use applications such as paints & coatings, adhesives, cleaning agents, pesticides, and lithium-ion batteries in the region.
- Dimethyl carbonate is often utilized in the manufacture of antibiotics in the pharmaceutical industry. Ciprofloxacin and carbadox can be manufactured from dimethyl carbonate. Ciprofloxacin is employed to prevent certain infections caused by bacteria. It is also employed to treat or prevent anthrax. Carbadox is an antibacterial agent that is utilized in veterinary medications.
Dimethyl Carbonate Market: Competition Landscape
- Manufacturers are focusing on expanding their production capacities for dimethyl carbonate in order to meet the demand for dimethyl carbonate in solvents and pharmaceutical applications
- Key players operating in the global dimethyl carbonate market are
- UBE Industries
- Shandong Haike Chemical Group Co., Ltd.
- KOWA American Corporation
- Qingdao Aspirit Chemical Co., Ltd.
- Shandong Shida Shenghua Chemical Co., Ltd.
- Tokyo Chemical Industry Co., Ltd.
- Shandong Depu Chemical Industry Science & Technology Co., Ltd.
- Dongying City Longxing Chemical Co., Ltd.
- Shandong Feiyang Chemical Co., Ltd.
- Kindun Chemical Co., Limited
- Alfa Aesar
- Shandong Wells Chemicals Co. Ltd.
- Dongying Hi-tech Spring Chemical Industry Co., Ltd
- Hefei TNJ Chemical Industry Co., Ltd.
- Hebei New Chaoyang Chemical Stock Co., Ltd.
Dimethyl Carbonate Market – Scope of the Report
Transparency Market Research’s recent report on the global dimethyl carbonate market, with the help of a comprehensive outlook, provides readers with an assessment of the global market landscape. This study of the global dimethyl carbonate market analyzes the market scenario for the period from 2020 to 2030, wherein 2019 is the base year. The report enables readers to make important decisions with regard to their business, with the help of a wealth of information enclosed in the study.
This TMR study on the global dimethyl carbonate market also provides data on developments made by important players and stakeholders operating in the market, along with a competition analysis. The report also provides an understanding of strengths, weaknesses, threats, and opportunities, along with market trends and restraints.
This study also discusses the underlying trends and impact of various factors that are driving the global dimethyl carbonate market, along with their influence on evolution of the market.
This study also offers Porter’s Five Forces analysis, PEST analysis, and regulatory scenario of the global dimethyl carbonate market in order to elaborate on crucial growth tactics and opportunities for players operating in the global market.
Key Questions Answered in Dimethyl Carbonate Market Report
- How much revenue is the global dimethyl carbonate market expected to generate by the end of the forecast period?
- Which region currently accounts for the maximum share of the global dimethyl carbonate market?
- What are the key indicators expected to drive the global dimethyl carbonate market?
- Which regional market is likely to be highly lucrative during the forecast period?
- What are the essential strategies adopted by key stakeholders operating in the global dimethyl carbonate market to expand their geographical presence?
- What are major advancements in the global dimethyl carbonate market?
This report answers these questions about the global dimethyl carbonate market, aiding major stakeholders and key players in making correct decisions and strategizing for expansion of their business.
Dimethyl Carbonate Market: Research Methodology
This TMR report on the global dimethyl carbonate market is based on a complete and comprehensive evaluation of the market, supported by secondary and primary sources. The competitive scenario of the global dimethyl carbonate market is supported by an assessment of different factors that influence the market on a minute and granular level. By thoroughly analyzing the historical data and current trends, researchers of the global dimethyl carbonate market have arrived at predictions and estimations and calculated the market forecast.
This report uses an analytical triangulation method to estimate numbers of the global dimethyl carbonate market, with the help of both bottom-up and top-down approaches.
This detailed assessment of the global dimethyl carbonate market, along with an overview of the market landscape, is provided based on a careful examination of opportunities for this market. Analysts’ conclusions on how the global dimethyl carbonate market is set to expand are based on carefully vetted primary and secondary sources.
Dimethyl Carbonate Market – Segmentation
This report on the global dimethyl carbonate market provides information based on grade, end use, and region.
Paints & Coatings
Cleaning Agents & Others
Alternative Fuel Additives
Middle East & Africa