Cellulose Acetate Phthalate: Introduction
- Cellulose acetate phthalate is produced from acetate ester of cellulose reacting partially with phthalic anhydride in the presence of a strong acids such as sulfuric acid or tertiary organic bases such as pyridine. Cellulose acetate phthalate, also known as cellulosi acetas phthalas and cellacefate, is a polymer phthalate, which is commonly used in the formulation of enteric coating of tablets or capsules in the pharmaceutical industry. It is also widely employed in controlled release formulations. It can be used together with other coating agents, e.g. ethyl cellulose.
Key Drivers of Global Cellulose Acetate Phthalate Market
- The global cellulose acetate phthalate market is driven by its various characteristics. Cellulose acetate phthalate is derived from plant-based raw materials and is used in a wide range of applications across the globe. The chemical compound is used as a matrix binder for tablets and capsules or as an enteric film coating material.
- Cellulose acetate phthalate is primarily used as a pharmaceutical excipient due to its solubility that is dependent on the pH of the aqueous media. Cellulose acetate phthalate based enteric coatings are resistant to acidic gastric fluids, but easily soluble in mildly basic medium of the intestine.
- Enactment of supportive regulatory framework by various regulatory bodies, such as the FDA and the EPA, is driving the global cellulose acetate phthalate market
Film Coating Segment to Dominate Global Market
- Based on application, the film coating segment dominated the global cellulose acetate phthalate market in 2018, owing the extensive usage of these coatings in the pharmaceutical industry. The film coating segment is anticipated to expand at a significant pace due to the rise in demand for cellulose acetate phthalate for controlled release formulations in film coating for capsules and tablets.
- The cellulose acetate phthalate compound is used to form rigid capsules in microencapsulation. Furthermore, it can be used as a supporting material during the usage of the spray drying technique in the pharmaceutical industry.
Availability of Substitute to Hamper Cellulose Acetate Phthalate Market
- Easy availability of substitute is expected to hamper the cellulose acetate phthalate market during the forecast period
- The major substitute for cellulose acetate phthalate polymer is synthesized from chitosan, which is easily available at low prices. A three-step synthetic process of chitosan results in the formation of chitosan acetate phthalate, which possesses properties similar to that of cellulose acetate phthalate.
Asia Pacific to Hold Significant Share of Global Cellulose Acetate Phthalate Market
- In terms of region, the global cellulose acetate phthalate market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- Asia Pacific is a key region of the global cellulose acetate phthalate. Growth in the pharmaceutical industry in countries in Asia Pacific is expected to boost the demand for cellulose acetate phthalate in the region. Furthermore, easy availability of raw materials in these countries is estimated to boost the production of cellulose acetate phthalate in the region.
- Presence of a well-established pharmaceutical sector in North America is the major factor driving the consumption of cellulose acetate phthalate in the region. The market in Europe has also been experiencing significant growth. Demand for pharmaceutical products obtained from natural derivatives is high in the region.
Key Players Operating in Global Market
The global cellulose acetate phthalate market is highly consolidated with a few large players dominating the market. The market includes a large number of domestic and international players. Integration of key players from procurement of raw materials to distribution of the final product across the value chain is a major strategy being adopted in the market. Additionally, cellulose acetate phthalate companies are investing significantly in conducting research on low-cost production methods to produce chemicals.
Key players operating in the global cellulose acetate phthalate market include:
- Daicel Corporation
- China National Tobacco Corporation
- Acordis Cellulostic Fibers Inc.
- Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Corporation
- Sichuan Push Acetati LLC
- Solvay SA
- Eastman Chemical Company
- Rayonier Advanced Materials Inc.
- Celanese Corporation and Sappi Limited
Global Cellulose Acetate Phthalate Market: Research Scope
Global Cellulose Acetate Phthalate Market, by Application
- Film Coatings
- Cigarette filters
Global Cellulose Acetate Phthalate Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.