Sodium Tetrasulfide Market: Definition
- Sodium tetrasulfide exists as yellow or brick red crystalline flakes or fused solid mass in its anhydrous state. It also exists as a dark red corrosive alkaline liquid.
- Sodium tetrasulfide is used as precursor in the manufacture of certain specialty polymers. It is also employed as chemical intermediate in the manufacture of prototypes of sodium-sulfur battery.
- When exposed to moist air, sodium tetrasulfide is prone to spontaneous heating and may cause fire hazards. It needs to be protected from exposure to light and stored in tightly closed container. It is incompatible with acids, oxidants, aluminum, zinc, carbon, and diazonium salts.
Is something restraining your company’s growth in the Sodium Tetrasulfide Market? Ask for the report brochure here
Tanneries Segment Lead the Market
- Sodium tetrasulfide is used in the production of sulfur dye in the dye industry. It is the raw material of sulfur green and sulfur blue. It is also used as a facilitating agent for dissolving sulfur dye in the printing and dyeing industry.
- In the tanning industry, sodium tetrasulfide is employed as raw material in the manufacture of leather depilatories to facilitate the process of removal of hair and bristles from cattle skin. It also ensures the removal of other undesirable materials such as non-collagenous proteins, epidermis, and cementing substances from animal hide.
- In the form of gel, sodium sulfide is used to soften toenails to assist in trimming of ingrown toenails. In the pharmaceutical industry, it is primarily used in the production of antipyretic drugs such as Phenacetin.
- Sodium tetrasulfide is employed in water treatment applications as an oxygen scavenging agent and metal precipitant for the removal of heavy metal ions. Sodium tetrasulfide is used in the paper and pulp industry as a pulp cooking agent in the Kraft process to convert wood into wood pulp.
Key Drivers of Sodium Tetrasulfide Market
- Mirabilite is a hydrous sodium sulfate mineral and a major raw material required in the production of sodium tetrasulfide. China accounts for the largest mirabilite reserves in the world. It is the leading producer of sodium tetrasulfide in the world.
- China is expected to maintain its dominance in the global sodium tetrasulfide market in the near future. The country is anticipated to continue expanding its production capabilities of sodium tetrasulfide to meet the rising demand across the globe.
- Low water availability, rapid development of cities, significant rise in population, and technological advancements in water treatment have increased the necessity of water reuse. This is boosting the sodium tetrasulfide market.
- Sodium tetrasulfide is routinely used in wastewater treatment for the removal of heavy metals ions such as mercury & lead. Thus, growth in the water treatment industry is expected to drive the sodium tetrasulfide market.
- Increase in demand for water treatment chemicals in power and industrial applications is anticipated to drive the market during the forecast period. Various environmental norms and regulations regarding water and wastewater disposal are major factors driving the sodium tetrasulfide market.
- Rise in usage of sodium tetrasulfide in the pulp and paper industry during Kraft process for cooking of pulp is another factor fueling the market. Sodium tetrasulfide is also used for removal of hair from hides during leather processing and rapid growth of the leather processing industry is expected to create lucrative opportunity for it in tanning industry.
Stuck in a neck-to-neck competition with other brands? Request a custom report on competition on Sodium Tetrasulfide Market here
Volatility of Raw Materials Likely to Hamper Market
- Sodium tetrasulfide are toxic to humans, livestock, and agriculture. The polluting nature of sodium tetrasulfide and implementation of stringent government regulations on the emission of toxic pollutants are estimated to restrain the sodium tetrasulfide market.
- Sodium tetrasulfide is regarded as an environmentally hazardous chemical, as it emits toxic pollutants such as hydrogen sulfide gas through the dissociation process during downstream operations in the pulp & paper industry. Sulfide rich effluents are also responsible for sewer corrosion and malodors.
Asia Pacific Expected to Hold Large Share of Global Sodium Tetrasulfide Market
- Asia Pacific dominates the global sodium tetrasulfide market in terms of consumption and revenue. Led by China, India, and Japan, the market in Asia Pacific is expected to expand at a healthy pace during the forecast period. India generates considerable demand for sodium tetrasulfide. It is used in tanneries to remove hair and bristles from cattle skin. India has a large leather processing industry, which exports leather products across the world. Expansion in the leather industry in India is estimated to drive the demand for sodium tetrasulfide during the forecast period.
- Rise in population and rapid urbanization in Asia Pacific have led to an increase in generation of wastewater, thereby propelling the demand for sodium tetrasulfide for water treatment in the region
- Europe has strong leather processing industry, which produces and exports various types of leather from livestock including calves, bovine, goat, and sheep. This leather is used in garment, footwear, and furniture markets. This is propelling the sodium tetrasulfide market in the region, as sodium tetrasulfide is primarily used in leather tanning.
Key Players in Sodium Tetrasulfide Market
The sodium tetrasulfide market is highly fragmented, with the top manufacturers accounting for approximately 45% to 50% share of the global market. Key players operating in the sodium tetrasulfide market include:
- Nagao & Co., Ltd.
- VWR International, LLC
- Novohrom LLC
- Tessenderlo Group
- China Nafine International Co.,Ltd.
- Athiappa Chemicals Pvt Ltd
- ICS Industriechemikalien Schwefelelnatrium GmbH
- PPG Industries, Inc.
- Sankyo Kasei Co., Ltd.
- Sichuan Shenhong Chemical Industry Co.,Ltd.
- Shenzhou Jiaxin Chemical Co., Ltd.
Global Sodium Tetrasulfide Market: Research Scope
Global Sodium Tetrasulfide Market, by Application
- Paper and pulp
- Chemical processing
- Water treatment
- Textile industries
- Ore processing
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The regional analysis covers:
- North America (U.S. and Canada)
- Latin America (Mexico, Brazil, Peru, Chile, and others)
- Western Europe (Germany, U.K., France, Spain, Italy, Nordic countries, Belgium, Netherlands, and Luxembourg)
- Eastern Europe (Poland and Russia)
- Asia Pacific (China, India, Japan, ASEAN, Australia, and New Zealand)
- Middle East and Africa (GCC, Southern Africa, and North Africa)
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.