Renewable Polymers Market: An Eco-friendly Solution
- Renewable polymers are polymers made from renewable or reproducible sources such as plant-based products. Renewable polymers can be isolated from natural biopolymers or synthesized from bio-based monomers. Monomers or the building blocks of renewable polymers can be produced from biomass, for polymer syntheses.
- Major efforts are being taken in the field of polymer science across the world to manufacture macromolecular materials having the renewable origin.
- Manufacturers of renewable polymers have also been developing a process to synthesize traditional monomers and platform chemicals from renewable resources. Carbohydrates, such as cellulose, starch, lignin, terpenes, chitosan, proteins, and bio polyesters can be chemically modified.
Is something restraining your company’s growth in the Renewable Polymers Market? Ask for the report brochure here
Key Drivers of Renewable Polymers Market
- Steady decline of fossil resources along with consistent increase in oil prices have prompted a search for alternatives based on renewable resources. This is expected to be a key factor driving the demand for renewable polymers.
- Renewable polymers are likely to gain significant momentum in the near future. The prevalence of petroleum and carbon based chemistry to manufacture organic chemical consumer goods has driven various initiatives that are aimed at replacing fossil sources with renewable counterparts.
- Renewable polymers can be produced by separation of the components of vegetable biomass and their development or after suitable chemical modification. The environmental concerns associated with petroleum-based polymers are expected to encourage a paradigm shift toward eco-friendly renewable polymers in flexible packaging applications by 2027.
- Renewable polymers serve as a substitute for petroleum based plastics. Rise in demand for bio-based polymers in manufacturing bottles and food containers is expected to boost the renewable polymers market during the forecast period. The regulations enacted by governments across the globe on traditional plastic products are likely to further propel the global renewable polymers market in the future.
Polylactic acid (PLA) and Bio-PET to be Key Segments
- Based on product type, the global renewable polymers market can be classified into: Polylactic acid (PLA), Bio- PVC, Bio-PA (Polyamide), Biodegradable Polyesters, Bio-PE (Polyethylene), Bio-PET and others.
- Polylactic Acid (PLA) is a biodegradable thermoplastic derived from renewable sources such as corn starch or sugarcane and holds substantial potential for its renewable attributes. PLA is environmentally friendly material since it is made from renewable resource – Corn. Plastics products may take up to thousand years to decompose while PLA products compost within 3-6 months in a composting system. PLA is likely to be a prominent renewable resource for its nontoxic characteristics.
- Production of bio-based PET is rising significantly, worldwide, largely after the Plant PET Technology Collaborative (PTC) initiative launched by The Coca-Cola Company in June 2012. Bio-based PET, whose production capacity was around 600,000 tons in 2013, is likely to reach about 7 million tons by 2020, using bio-ethanol from sugar cane.
Significant Opportunity in Rigid and Flexible Packaging Industries
- Based on application, the global renewable polymers market can be divided into rigid packaging, flexible packaging, consumer goods, automation & transportation, textiles, agricultural applications, medical devices, and others
- The packaging industry marks the highest consumption of petro based polymers. The same trend can be observed for renewable polymers. The packaging industry has a considerable interest in biodegradability since packaging is only needed for short times but in big quantities, which contributes to the accumulation of waste. The packaging application segment is likely to be the major segment in global renewable polymers market by 2027.
Stuck in a neck-to-neck competition with other brands? Request a custom report on competition on Renewable Polymers Market here
Asia Pacific to be Key Market for Renewable Polymers
- In terms of region, the global renewable polymers market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa. Renewable polymer industry is likely to grow rapidly in Asia Pacific substantially in the next decade, and is estimated to witness burgeoning potential from the rapidly expanding economies of the region, including: China, India, Indonesia and Malaysia.
- Renewable polymers are likely to be a material of choice for the manufacturers as well as the consumers in Asia Pacific during forecast period, Renewable polymers help reduce carbon emissions, reduce landfill due to biodegradability and are combustible, and lessen dependence on oil. Most investment in the upcoming renewable polymer capacity expansions is projected to take place in Asia Pacific because of better access to feedstock and a favorable political framework.
Key Manufacturers in Market
The global renewable polymers market was highly fragmented in 2018. Key manufacturers operating in the global market include:
- BASF SE
- Blackwell Plastics
- Natureworks LLC
- API SpA
- Novamont SpA
Global Renewable Polymers Market: Research Scope
Global Renewable Polymers Market, by Product
- Polylactic acid (PLA)
- Bio- PVC
- Bio-PA (Polyamide)
- Biodegradable -Polyesters
- Bio-PE (Polyethylene)
- Others (Bio-starch blends, Polytrimethylene terephthalate (PTT), etc.)
Global Renewable Polymers Market, by Application
- Rigid Packaging
- Flexible Packaging
- Consumer Goods
- Automation & Transportation
- Agricultural Applications
- Medical Devices
- Others (Building & Construction, Electrical & Electronics, etc.)
Global Renewable Polymers Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.