Portable Fuel Cell Market: Eco-friendly Source Cell for Energy Generation
- The global portable fuel cell market is expected to expand at a rapid pace during the forecast period owing to its benefits such as long duration and clean electric power generation in various off-grid situations
- Portable applications primarily include consumer electronics such as laptops, tablets, mobiles, and cameras. Portable fuel cell is also used in battery chargers and torches. Furthermore, it is employed in military applications. However, its market is small, as fuel cells are required in small quantities.
- Rapid industrialization and high demand for electricity require efficient utilization of resources of energy. This has resulted in a shift toward the adoption of clean and emission-free energy resources such as electricity generation through the use of fuel cells.
- Increase in demand for consumer electronics, which includes laptops, tablets, and mobiles, is expected to drive the portable fuel cell market during the forecast period
Is something restraining your company’s growth in the Portable Fuel Cell Market? Ask for the report brochure here
Key Drivers of Portable Fuel Cell Market
- Portable fuel cells can provide backup ranging from a short-term period to long-term periods of eight hours to three days. The backup continues as long as the fuel is supplied in time.
- Portable fuel cells do not occupy much space. They can be integrated in various machines such as refrigerators. Overheating causes issues in conventional batteries. This issue is resolved by portable fuel cells, as they are known to operate at a temperature lower than the conventional batteries.
- Backup power systems need to be reliable. Portable fuel cells enhance the reliability of backup power systems. These cells are known to deliver continuous power during power failures with less than a minute maintenance in six years of tenure. Portable fuel cells have parts that do not vibrate; hence, they are less noisy and require low maintenance than generators or existing backup power options.
Consumer Electronics Segment to Offer Attractive Opportunities
- Based on end-user, consumer electronics was a highly attractive segment of the global portable fuel cell market in 2018. The segment is expected to continue to be attractive during the forecast period, as portable fuel cells offer clean, efficient, and reliable off-grid power to businesses, telecommunication networks, etc.
- Portable fuel cells require much less space than other clean energy technologies. These cells can power anything ranging from a laptop to a single-family home and even higher requirements such as 200 kW.
High Switching Cost and Lack of Infrastructure Hampering Portable Fuel Cell Market
- Development of portable fuel cell requires high initial investment and extensive research and development, as the market is still in the nascent phase. Therefore, companies with large funds and some relevant knowledge and expertise can enter the market.
- Large investments in research and development and low production of portable fuel cells result in high cost. This acts as an inhibiting factor for the portable fuel cell market.
- Fuel cell needs hydrogen in a large volume for production of electricity and hydrogen storage is difficult as it requires large infrastructure. Pipeline infrastructure is also needed to deliver hydrogen from storage to the plant. Pipelines used to carry hydrogen are around 30% more expensive than those that carry natural gas.
- Significant investment and intensive support by public and private entities are required to develop supportive infrastructure. This factor is likely to hamper the portable fuel cell market during the forecast period.
To Get a Bird’s Eye View of Portable Fuel Cell Market Forecast, Ask for a Custom Report
Asia Pacific Expected to Hold Major Share of Global Portable Fuel Cell Market
- Asia Pacific accounted for leading share of the global portable fuel cell market in 2018, led by the rise in demand for electricity in costumer electronics devices such as laptops, tablets, mobiles, and cameras. A few countries in the region such as China and South Korea provide subsidy on the installation of portable fuel cells. This is expected to drive the market during the forecast period.
- Japan and South Korea are key countries of the portable fuel cell market in Asia Pacific. Large numbers of fuel cell manufacturers, such as Doosan Corporation, Toshiba Corporation, Mitsubishi Hitachi Power Systems, Ltd., and Panasonic Corporation, are located in these countries.
- Zero emissions, carbon-free transportation, and stringent government regulations to minimize carbon emissions have boosted the demand for portable fuel cells in Europe. Fuel cell technologies are benefitting from various European programs focusing on smart grids, renewable energy storage, and clean urban transportation.
- Middle East & Africa offers immense potential for investors in the fuel cell industry. The market size is small in the region; however, there exists vast potential for fuel cell products due to the growth in clean and efficient energy systems.
- Awareness about the benefits of electricity generation from portable fuel cells is high in developed countries such as the U.S, Canada, and Russia. Rapid growth in population, followed by high demand for electricity, has resulted in a paradigm shift toward alternate sources of electricity generation such as fuel cells. Thus, demand for fuel cells is anticipated to increase in these countries during the forecast the period.
Key Players in Market
Key players operating in the global portable fuel cell market include:
- AFC Energy PLC
- Bloom Energy
- Ballard Power Systems Inc.
- Doosan Corporation
- FuelCell Energy, Inc.
- Hydrogenics Corporation
- Nedstack Fuel Cell Technology B.V.
- Plug Power, Inc.
- Panasonic Corporation
- SFC Energy AG
- Toshiba Corporation
- Intelligent Energy Limited
- Mitsubishi Hitachi Power Systems, Ltd.
- SerEnergy A/S
- K- Pas Instronic Engineers India Private Limited
- Ceres Power Holdings plc
Global Portable Fuel Cell Market: Research Scope
Global Portable Fuel Cell Market, by Type
- Proton Exchange Membrane Fuel Cell (PEMFC)
- Phosphoric Acid Fuel Cell (PAFC)
- Solid Oxide Fuel Cell (SOFC)
- Direct Methanol Fuel Cell (DMFC)
Global Portable Fuel Cell Market, by End-user
- Consumer Electronics
Global Portable Fuel Cell Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.