Portable Fuel Cell: Introduction
- The global portable fuel cell market is expected to expand at a rapid pace during the forecast period owing to its benefits such as long duration and clean electric power generation in various off-grid situations
- Portable applications primarily include consumer electronics such as laptops, tablets, mobiles, and cameras. Portable fuel cell is also used in battery chargers and torches. Furthermore, it is employed in military applications. However, its market is small, as fuel cells are required in small quantities.
- Rapid industrialization and high demand for electricity require efficient utilization of resources of energy. This has resulted in a shift toward the adoption of clean and emission-free energy resources such as electricity generation through the use of fuel cells.
- Increase in demand for consumer electronics, which includes laptops, tablets, and mobiles, is expected to drive the portable fuel cell market during the forecast period.
Key Drivers and Restraints of Portable Fuel Cell Market
- Portable fuel cells can provide backup ranging from a short-term period to long-term periods of eight hours to three days. The backup continues as long as the fuel is supplied in time.
- Portable fuel cells do not occupy much space. They can be integrated in various machines such as refrigerators. Overheating causes issues in conventional batteries. This issue is resolved by portable fuel cells, as they are known to operate at a temperature lower than the conventional batteries.
- Backup power systems need to be reliable. Portable fuel cells enhance the reliability of backup power systems. These cells are known to deliver continuous power during power failures with less than a minute maintenance in six years of tenure. Portable fuel cells have parts that do not vibrate; hence, they are less noisy and require low maintenance than generators or existing backup power options.
- Large investments in research and development and low production of portable fuel cells result in high cost. This acts as an inhibiting factor for the portable fuel cell market.
COVID-19 Impact Analysis
- Governments of various countries have enforced nationwide lockdowns as part of measures to limit the spread of the COVID-19 pandemic. Consequently, manufacturing facilities of consumer electronics have come to a halt across the globe. This has hampered the demand for portable fuel cells, as portable fuel cells are used in consumer electronics to provide continuous power supply for proper functioning of electronic devices. Demand for consumer electronics has decreased due to the lockdown measures implemented by countries during the pandemic.
Consumer Electronics End-user Segment Expected to Hold Prominent Share of Global Market
- The global portable fuel cell market can be segmented based on type, end-user, and region
- Based on type, global portable fuel cell market can be segregated into proton exchange membrane fuel cell, phosphoric acid fuel cell, solid oxide fuel cell, direct methanol fuel cell, and others
- Based on end-user, global portable fuel cell market can be divided into military, marine, consumer electronics, automotive, and others. Consumer electronics was a highly attractive segment of the global portable fuel cell market in 2020. The segment is expected to continue to be attractive during the forecast period, as portable fuel cells offer clean, efficient, and reliable off-grid power to businesses, telecommunication networks, etc.
- Portable fuel cells require much less space than other clean energy technologies. These cells can power anything ranging from a laptop to a single-family home and even higher requirements such as 200 kW.
Asia Pacific Expected to Constitute Major Share of Global Portable Fuel Cell Market
- In terms of region, the global portable fuel cell market can be divided into Middle East & Africa, Latin America, Asia Pacific, Europe, and North America
- Asia Pacific accounted for leading share of the global portable fuel cell market in 2020, led by the rise in demand for electricity in costumer electronics devices such as laptops, tablets, mobiles, and cameras. A few countries in the region such as China and South Korea provide subsidy on the installation of portable fuel cells. This is expected to drive the market during the forecast period.
- Japan and South Korea are key countries of the portable fuel cell market in Asia Pacific. Large numbers of fuel cell manufacturers, such as Doosan Corporation, Toshiba Corporation, Mitsubishi Hitachi Power Systems, Ltd., and Panasonic Corporation, are located in these countries.
- Zero emissions, carbon-free transportation, and stringent government regulations to minimize carbon emissions have boosted the demand for portable fuel cells in Europe. Fuel cell technologies are benefitting from various European programs focusing on smart grids, renewable energy storage, and clean urban transportation.
- Middle East & Africa offers immense potential for investors in the fuel cell industry. The market size is small in the region; however, there exists vast potential for fuel cell products due to the growth of clean and efficient energy systems.
- Awareness about the benefits of electricity generation from portable fuel cells is high in developed countries such as the U.S. and Canada. Rapid growth in population, followed by high demand for electricity, has resulted in a paradigm shift toward alternate sources of electricity generation such as fuel cells. Thus, demand for fuel cells is anticipated to increase in these countries during the forecast the period.
Key Players Operating in Global Market
Key companies operating in the global portable fuel cell market are
- AFC Energy PLC
- Bloom Energy
- Ballard Power Systems Inc.
- Doosan Corporation
- FuelCell Energy, Inc.
- Hydrogenics Corporation
- Nedstack Fuel Cell Technology B.V.
- Plug Power, Inc.
- Panasonic Corporation
- SFC Energy AG
- Toshiba Corporation
- Intelligent Energy Limited
- Mitsubishi Hitachi Power Systems, Ltd.
Global Portable Fuel Cell Market: Research Scope
Global Portable Fuel Cell Market, by Type
- Proton Exchange Membrane Fuel Cell (PEMFC)
- Phosphoric Acid Fuel Cell (PAFC)
- Solid Oxide Fuel Cell (SOFC)
- Direct Methanol Fuel Cell (DMFC)
Global Portable Fuel Cell Market, by End-user
- Consumer Electronics
Global Portable Fuel Cell Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
This intelligence report by TMR is the outcome of intense study and rigorous assessment of various dynamics shaping the growth of the market. TMR nurtures a close-knit team of analysts, strategists, and industry experts who offer clients tools, methodologies, and frameworks to make smarter decisions. Our objective, insights, and actionable analytics provide CXOs and executives to advance their mission-critical priorities with confidence.
The scrutiny of the various forces impacting the dynamics of the market, and key and associated industries, guides enterprises in understanding various consumer propositions. Our clients leverage these insights and perspectives to enhance customer experience in the fast-paced business environment.
All our insights and perspectives are broadly based on 4 Pillars or Stages: ASBC-S, which offer an elaborate and customizable framework for the success of an organization. The essence and the roles of these in organizational successes are highlighted below:
- Agenda for CXOs: TMR, through the study, sets the tone for agendas that are pertinent to CEOs, CFOs, CIOs, and other CXO executives of businesses operating in the market. The perspectives help our clients to bridge the gap between agenda and action plan. TMR strives to offer guidance to CXOs to undertake mission-critical activities empowered by various business analysis tools, and boost the performance of the organizations. The perspectives guide you to decide on your own marketing mix that align well with the policies, visions, and mission.
- Strategic Frameworks: The study offers how organizations are setting both short-term and long-term strategic plans. Our team of experts collaborate and communicate with you to understand these to make your organizations sustainable and resilient during tough times. The insights help them decide sustainable competitive advantage for each business units.
- Benchmarking for Deciding Target Markets and Brand Positioning: The assessments in the study provides a scrutiny of marketing channels and marketing mix. Our various teams work synergistically with you to help identify your actual and potential direct, indirect, and budget competition areas. Additionally, the study helps you decide most effective budgets for various processes and promotional activities. Furthermore, the study guides you to set benchmarks for integrating people and processes with the 4Ps of marketing. Eventually, this will empower you to find out unique propositioning strategies and niches.
- Business Composability for Sustainability (C-S): Constant strategy planning for sustainability characterizing our C-S framework in the report has become more relevant than before in the face of disruptions caused by pandemics, recessions, boom and bust cycles, and changing geopolitical scenario. The TMR study offers a high level of customization to help you achieve business composability. Composable enterprises are increasingly gaining the attention of CXOs in order to help them combat market volatility. Our analysts and industry experts help you wade through such uncertainties and guide you to become a smart sustainable business in entirety.
The study presents scrutiny of region-specific consumer and technology trends, including the most recent industry dynamics. These broadly cover but not limited to
- North America, South America, and the Americas
- Asia Pacific and Japan
- Latin America
- Middle East and Africa
The study offers data-driven insights and guidance of several aspects. Some of the more notable questions are:
- What are the major recent trends that can influence the product life cycle and the RoI?
- Which regulatory trends shape corporate-level, business-level, and functional-level strategies?
- Which micromarketing initiatives of leading players will bring in investments?
- What can be the best framework and tools for PESTLE analysis?
- Which regions will witness rise in new opportunities?
- Which are the game-changing technologies being used to capture new revenue streams in the near future?
- Which operational and tactical frameworks are being adopted by various players in gaining customer loyalty?
- What is the current and expected intensity of competition the market in the near future?
Disclaimer: This market research study is an ongoing effort and extreme care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy at all stages. However, in the light of the rapidly evolving business dynamics, some region-specific or other segment-specific changes may take time to be part of the study.