Portable Fuel Cell Market: Eco-friendly Source Cell for Energy Generation
- The global portable fuel cell market is expected to expand at a rapid pace during the forecast period owing to its benefits such as long duration and clean electric power generation in various off-grid situations
- Portable applications primarily include consumer electronics such as laptops, tablets, mobiles, and cameras. Portable fuel cell is also used in battery chargers and torches. Furthermore, it is employed in military applications. However, its market is small, as fuel cells are required in small quantities.
- Rapid industrialization and high demand for electricity require efficient utilization of resources of energy. This has resulted in a shift toward the adoption of clean and emission-free energy resources such as electricity generation through the use of fuel cells.
- Increase in demand for consumer electronics, which includes laptops, tablets, and mobiles, is expected to drive the portable fuel cell market during the forecast period
Is something restraining your company’s growth in the Portable Fuel Cell Market? Ask for the report brochure here
Key Drivers of Portable Fuel Cell Market
- Portable fuel cells can provide backup ranging from a short-term period to long-term periods of eight hours to three days. The backup continues as long as the fuel is supplied in time.
- Portable fuel cells do not occupy much space. They can be integrated in various machines such as refrigerators. Overheating causes issues in conventional batteries. This issue is resolved by portable fuel cells, as they are known to operate at a temperature lower than the conventional batteries.
- Backup power systems need to be reliable. Portable fuel cells enhance the reliability of backup power systems. These cells are known to deliver continuous power during power failures with less than a minute maintenance in six years of tenure. Portable fuel cells have parts that do not vibrate; hence, they are less noisy and require low maintenance than generators or existing backup power options.
Consumer Electronics Segment to Offer Attractive Opportunities
- Based on end-user, consumer electronics was a highly attractive segment of the global portable fuel cell market in 2018. The segment is expected to continue to be attractive during the forecast period, as portable fuel cells offer clean, efficient, and reliable off-grid power to businesses, telecommunication networks, etc.
- Portable fuel cells require much less space than other clean energy technologies. These cells can power anything ranging from a laptop to a single-family home and even higher requirements such as 200 kW.
High Switching Cost and Lack of Infrastructure Hampering Portable Fuel Cell Market
- Development of portable fuel cell requires high initial investment and extensive research and development, as the market is still in the nascent phase. Therefore, companies with large funds and some relevant knowledge and expertise can enter the market.
- Large investments in research and development and low production of portable fuel cells result in high cost. This acts as an inhibiting factor for the portable fuel cell market.
- Fuel cell needs hydrogen in a large volume for production of electricity and hydrogen storage is difficult as it requires large infrastructure. Pipeline infrastructure is also needed to deliver hydrogen from storage to the plant. Pipelines used to carry hydrogen are around 30% more expensive than those that carry natural gas.
- Significant investment and intensive support by public and private entities are required to develop supportive infrastructure. This factor is likely to hamper the portable fuel cell market during the forecast period.
To Get a Bird’s Eye View of Portable Fuel Cell Market Forecast, Ask for a Custom Report
Asia Pacific Expected to Hold Major Share of Global Portable Fuel Cell Market
- Asia Pacific accounted for leading share of the global portable fuel cell market in 2018, led by the rise in demand for electricity in costumer electronics devices such as laptops, tablets, mobiles, and cameras. A few countries in the region such as China and South Korea provide subsidy on the installation of portable fuel cells. This is expected to drive the market during the forecast period.
- Japan and South Korea are key countries of the portable fuel cell market in Asia Pacific. Large numbers of fuel cell manufacturers, such as Doosan Corporation, Toshiba Corporation, Mitsubishi Hitachi Power Systems, Ltd., and Panasonic Corporation, are located in these countries.
- Zero emissions, carbon-free transportation, and stringent government regulations to minimize carbon emissions have boosted the demand for portable fuel cells in Europe. Fuel cell technologies are benefitting from various European programs focusing on smart grids, renewable energy storage, and clean urban transportation.
- Middle East & Africa offers immense potential for investors in the fuel cell industry. The market size is small in the region; however, there exists vast potential for fuel cell products due to the growth in clean and efficient energy systems.
- Awareness about the benefits of electricity generation from portable fuel cells is high in developed countries such as the U.S, Canada, and Russia. Rapid growth in population, followed by high demand for electricity, has resulted in a paradigm shift toward alternate sources of electricity generation such as fuel cells. Thus, demand for fuel cells is anticipated to increase in these countries during the forecast the period.
Key Players in Market
Key players operating in the global portable fuel cell market include:
- AFC Energy PLC
- Bloom Energy
- Ballard Power Systems Inc.
- Doosan Corporation
- FuelCell Energy, Inc.
- Hydrogenics Corporation
- Nedstack Fuel Cell Technology B.V.
- Plug Power, Inc.
- Panasonic Corporation
- SFC Energy AG
- Toshiba Corporation
- Intelligent Energy Limited
- Mitsubishi Hitachi Power Systems, Ltd.
- SerEnergy A/S
- K- Pas Instronic Engineers India Private Limited
- Ceres Power Holdings plc
Global Portable Fuel Cell Market: Research Scope
Global Portable Fuel Cell Market, by Type
- Proton Exchange Membrane Fuel Cell (PEMFC)
- Phosphoric Acid Fuel Cell (PAFC)
- Solid Oxide Fuel Cell (SOFC)
- Direct Methanol Fuel Cell (DMFC)
Global Portable Fuel Cell Market, by End-user
- Consumer Electronics
Global Portable Fuel Cell Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.