Mineral Flame Retardants Market: Introduction
- Commonly used mineral flame retardants are based on metal hydrates, especially aluminum and magnesium hydroxides. These are halogen-free and environmentally friendly, and offer favorable price/performance ratio.
- Some other minerals also exhibit flame retarding effect. These are used in commercial applications as synergists. They enhance the performance of other flame retardants and offer specific effects such as suppression of smoke formation and increase in char formation. For instance, borates are used as mixture of boric acids and borax as flame retardants for cellulose.
Key Drivers of Global Mineral Flame Retardants Market
- The mineral flame retardants market is driven by the increase in government regulations on environment safety and usage of halogen-free flame retardants. Furthermore, growth in electrical & electronics and automotive industries is expected to boost the demand for mineral flame retardants.
- Rise in consumer awareness regarding toxic emissions released by fire is driving the halogen-free mineral flame retardants market across the globe. Additionally, innovation and technology advancement to shift toward synergist blends as halogen-free flame retardants is anticipated to propel the demand for mineral flame retardants during the forecast period. Mineral flame retardants primarily act as additive flame retardants and do not become chemically attached to the surrounding system.
Are you a start-up willing to make it big in the business? Grab an exclusive PDF sample of this report
Aluminum Trihydroxide Segment to Dominate Global Market
- Aluminum trihydroxide is the widely used mineral flame retardant. It is inexpensive, and its mode of action is based on the endothermic process (i.e. release of water), which cools the polymer and dilutes the flame zone.
- Aluminum trihydroxide flame retardants are available in the form of white powder. They are used for processing temperature up to about 210°C for wires and cables, thermoset resin-based electronic & electrical components, building materials, paints and varnishes, and paper and plaster with organic binder.
- Magnesium hydroxide flame retardants are employed for processing temperature up to about 310°C for wires and cables, polyamide resin-based electronic & electrical components, and building materials. Magnesium hydroxide powder is used as a mineral flame retardant for different types of plastics such as PVC, polypropylene, and polyethylene.
Growth of Building & Construction Industry to Drive Mineral Flame Retardants Market
- The electrical & electronics industry is a leading consumer of mineral flame retardants, owing to the increase in regulations pertaining to fire safety for electric components and wires and cables
- Demand for mineral flame retardants has been rising in automobiles due to the increase in government regulations to attain fire safety norms in automobiles
Asia Pacific to Hold Significant Share of Global Mineral Flame Retardants Market
- In terms of region, the global mineral flame retardants market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- North America dominated the global mineral flame retardants market in 2018, owing to the implementation of various regulations regarding fire safety of components used in the region. Furthermore, expansion in automotive and electrical & electronics industries in North America is expected to boost the consumption of mineral flame retardants in the region.
- Asia Pacific is likely to offer lucrative opportunities to the market during the forecast period. Growth in the industrial sector and rise in constructions activities in countries of Asia Pacific are anticipated to augment the consumption of mineral flame retardants in the region.
- Growth in the automotive industry in Asia Pacific is projected to propel the demand for various plastic products. This, in turn, is likely to propel the demand for mineral flame retardants in the region.
Expanding operations in future? To get the perfect launch ask for a custom report
Key Players in Market
Major companies operating in the global mineral flame retardants market are focusing on innovation and technology advancement. Large numbers of companies are developing synergist compounds as flame retardants.
Key players operating in the global mineral flame retardants market include:
- Clariant International Ltd.
- Lanxess AG
- Israel Chemicals Ltd.
- Albemarle Corporation
- Nabaltech AG
- Chemtura Corporation Ltd.
- BASF SE
- Akzo Nobel
Global Mineral Flame Retardants Market: Research Scope
Global Mineral Flame Retardants Market, by Type
- Aluminum Trihydroxide
- Magnesium Hydroxide
Global Mineral Flame Retardants Market, by Application
- Unsaturated Polyester
- Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC)
- Engineered Thermoplastics
Global Mineral Flame Retardants Market, by End-use Industry
- Building & Construction
- Electricals & Electronics
Global Mineral Flame Retardants Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.