Diisobutylene Market: Overview
- Diisobutylene is an isomeric compound. It is a liquid mixture containing two isomers: 2,4,4-trimethyl-pentene-1 and 2,4,4-trimethyl-pentene-2. Diisobutylene is a colorless compound that has a flashpoint of 10°F. It has an odor akin to aromatic gasoline.
- Diisobutylene is produced by the reaction of isobutylene with tertiary butyl alcohol in the presence of sulfonic acid
- Diisobutylene is used as a chemical intermediate in many industries including lubricant additives, rubber chemicals, and coatings. It is used in the polymer industry due to its chemical stability and high compatibility.
- It is also employed as a co-monomer in the production of elastomers, polycarbonate resins, and hydrocarbon resins
- Other applications of diisobutylene include production of isononyl derivative and octylphenol
Growth in Automobile and Refinery Industries to Drive Diisobutylene Market
- Rise in demand for diisobutylene in automobile and refinery industries is expected to boost the diisobutylene market during the forecast period. Increase in expenditure in downstream industries has been driving the global diisobutylene market.
- Growth in focus on reducing the cost of fuel in the automotive industry is also driving the demand for diisobutylene. Diisobutylene is used as an additive in two-stroke engine, which does not produce any harmful gases while burning, thus ensuring in low soot deposition.
- Diisobutylene offers electrical insulation, high tensile strength, and low gas permeability. This is also boosting its consumption in various end-use industries.
- The diisobutylene market is labor intensive and has various technology barriers. Volatile prices of crude oil and recession in the automotive industry are expected to hamper the diisobutylene market during the forecast period
- Diisobutylene market is facing supply-demand issues due to the industrial shutdown caused by the COVID 19 outbreak. COVID-19 pandemic has directly affected the demand and production of diisobutylene by disrupting the downstream supply chain. Disruption in supply of raw materials is projected to hamper operations of companies. Supply shortage also results in an increase in prices of raw materials of diisobutylene.
- The industrial shutdown has also adversely impacted product and inventory transportation, as logistic services have been hampered. These factors are expected to restrain the market in the near future.
95%-98% Grade Segment to Offer Lucrative Opportunities
- Based on grade, the global diisobutylene market can be segmented into below 95%, 95%-98%, and above 98%
- The 95%-98% segment is anticipated to dominate the market during the forecast period. The segment is estimated to offer lucrative opportunities during the forecast period.
Lubricants Application Segment to Provide Significant Opportunities
- Based on application, the diisobutylene market can be divided into stabilizers, lubricants, silicones, oxidation inhibitors, anti-wear additives, rubber, and others
- The lubricants segment is expected to offer lucrative opportunities during the forecast period
- Diisobutylene is used in the production of octylated diphenylamine, octylphenol resins, and isononyl derivatives, which are used in the production of automobile tires
North America to Constitute Significant Share of Global Diisobutylene Market
- In terms of region, the global diisobutylene market can be split into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- North America dominated the global diisobutylene market in 2019, due to the presence of key manufacturers as well as consumers in the region. Presence of a well-established automotive industry is driving the market in the region.
- The market in Europe regions has been expanding at a steady pace. Diisobutylene offers bright potential as it is an important raw material in chemical synthesis.
- China has been investing substantially in R&D and production capacity expansion. The market in South Asia is expected to witness steady growth owing to the expansion in the automotive industry and rise in industrialization in the region.
Key Players in Market
The global diisobutylene market is moderately fragmented with the presence of several regional and global manufacturers. Prominent players operating in the market are adopting different strategies such as mergers, acquisitions, and product launches to maintain their leading position. Key players are investing in technological developments in order to maintain their leading position.
Prominent players operating in the global diisobutylene market include:
- TPC Group
- INEOS Oligomer
- Maruzen Petrochemical
- Zibo JinLin Chemical
- Evonik Industries
- Shandong Huachao Chemical Co., Ltd.
- Huajiang Chemical
- FUJIFILM Wako Pure Chemicals
Global Diisobutylene Market: Research Scope
Global Diisobutylene Market, by Grade
- Below 95%
- Above 98%
Global Diisobutylene Market, by Application
- Oxidation Inhibitors
- Anti-wear Additives
Disclaimer: This ongoing market research study is a meticulously planned activity where a broad array of factors and aspects that shape the marketing environment and industry are taken into account. However, keeping in mind the constantly changing nature of business dynamics and changing strategic intents, we are always actively making iterations and modifications in our approaches. As always, we are ready to tailor our insights and guidance to suit your requirements. Engage with us to know what more is there for your CXOs.