Global Bio-polylactic Acid (PLA) Films Market: Overview
- Bio-polylactic acid (PLA) is a common bio-based plastic synthesized from bio-based monomers. PLA is an aliphatic polyester produced by the polymerization of lactic acid. Bio-PLA films can hold creases or twists, unlike plastic films. Physical properties of PLA make it an ideal substitute for fossil-based plastics in several applications of low-density polyethylene (LDPE), high-density polyethylene (HDPE), polypropylene (PP), and polyethylene terephthalate (PET).
- The use of bio-based materials as food packaging materials is growing rapidly, owing to their advantages over fossil-fuel-based plastics, such as biodegradability of the finished product
Key Drivers of Global Bio-polylactic Acid (PLA) Films Market
- Growth of the global food & beverages industry and increase in the demand for food packaging for prolonged preservation drive the global bio-PLA films market. Rapid adoption of bio-PLA films in agricultural applications, such as cultivation of soft fruits and vegetables, has reduced adverse effects on the environment. Growing production of genetically modified corn and rising usage of bio-PLA films in 3D printing are likely to create lucrative opportunities for the global bio-PLA films market during the forecast period.
Are you a start-up willing to make it big in the business? Grab an exclusive PDF sample of this report here
High Costs of Bio-polylactic Acid (PLA) Films to Hamper Global Market
- Higher costs of bio-PLA films than synthetic and semi-synthetic films are expected to restrain the global bio-PLA films market during the forecast period
Key Segment of Global Bio-polylactic Acid (PLA) Films Market
- The pharmaceutical segment is expected to hold a major share of the global Bio-polylactic acid (PLA) Films market during the forecast period. Non-toxic and non-carcinogenic effects of polylactic acid on the human body make it ideal for use in biopharmaceutical applications such as sutures, clips, and drug delivery systems (DDS). Food & beverages and agriculture segments are anticipated to provide lucrative opportunities to the global bio-PLA films market during the forecast period. In the food & beverages sector, bio-PLA is used in packaging systems such as form-fill-seal yogurt containers or coffee capsules.
To Get a Bird’s Eye View of Bio-polylactic Acid (PLA) Films Market Forecast, Ask for a Custom Report
Europe to Hold a Major Share of Global Bio-polylactic Acid (PLA) Films Market
- Europe is expected to dominate the global Bio-polylactic acid (PLA) Films market, in terms of both value and volume, during the forecast period. The market in Asia Pacific is expected to expand at a rapid pace, owing to increase in the demand for bio-PLA for use in food packaging and medical applications. Increasing consumer awareness about and government support for use of eco-friendly products in countries such as China, India, Japan, and Thailand are projected to boost the global bio-PLA films market from 2019 to 2027.
- Rapid growth in the consumption of bio-PLA films in China can be attributed to advancements in packaging and medical sectors. The packaging industry in the country is growing rapidly, due to rising demand for FMCG goods. Increase in the demand for eco-friendly packaging has benefitted the packaging sector in China. High demand for ready-to-cook products from the food & beverages industry is fueling the demand for high-quality packaging in the country, thereby driving the Bio-polylactic acid (PLA) films market in China.
- Presence of leading manufacturing companies in North America, including Nature Works LLC and Total Corbion PLA, is anticipated to have a positive impact on the bio-PLA market in the region during the forecast period
- Rise in the consumption of biodegradable polymers is likely to create opportunities for the bio-PLA films market in North America during the forecast period
Key Players Operating in Global Market
The global Bio-polylactic acid (PLA) Films Market is highly fragmented, with the top manufacturers accounting for approximately 45%–50% share of the global market. Key players operating in the global bio-polylactic acid market are:
- NatureWorks LLC
- Tate & Lyle
- Total Corbion
- TORAY INDUSTRIES, INC.
- Taghleef Industries
- Amcor plc
- TOYOBO CO., LTD.
Global Bio-polylactic Acid (PLA) Films Market: Research Scope
Global Bio-polylactic Acid (PLA) Films Market, by Technology
- Atomic Layer Deposition (ALD)
Global Bio-polylactic Acid (PLA) Films Market, by End-use Industry
- Food & Beverages
- Home & Personal Care
Global Bio-polylactic Acid (PLA) Films Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.