Stretchable Micro-supercapacitors: Introduction
- A substitute to batteries, micro-supercapacitors (MSCs) are energy storage devices that can complement or replace lithium-ion batteries in wearable devices. Micro-supercapacitors have a small footprint, high power density, and the ability to charge and discharge quickly.
- According to studies, when stretchable micro-supercapacitors are fabricated for wearable devices, conventional micro-supercapacitors have a sandwich-like stacked geometry that exhibits poor flexibility, long ion diffusion distances, and a complex integration process when combined with wearable electronics.
- Stretchable micro-supercapacitors (MSCs) with high power density and small size have been intensively researched in recent years. However, to date, the stretchability of the overall device is still limited by the lack of a stretchable electrode material, which results in significant performance degradation, particularly in the highly stretched state.
High Electrochemical Performance of Stretchable Micro-supercapacitors
- Researchers and manufacturers have recently found out a new method of designing stretchable micro-super capacitors capable of maintaining high electrochemical performance and these devices are approximately 200% stretchable.
- The electrode in these high performance supercapacitors are based on the bis (trifluoromethane) sulfonamide lithium salt and poly (vinyl alcohol). The resultant hydrogel is operated with a PVA/H2SO4 electrolyte to deliver an unprecedented level of combined performance such as a large areal capacitance of 44.5 mF cm−2, a power density of 0.04 mW cm−2 at an area energy density of 0.004 mW h cm−2, and excellent stretchability of 200% while retaining 93% of the original capacitance.
- Companies are delivering highly stable performance from these supercapacitors even under extensive stretching, showing a high 92% capacitance retention after 2000 cycles of 100%-strain stretching.
- Major players in the market are proposing architecture that is compatible with laser patterning, which enables rapid fabrication, and reflects a highly practical approach to realize high performance, mechanically robust micro energy storage devices.
High Voltage Output and Exceptional Mechanical Robustness to Offer Lucrative Opportunities
- Stretchable micro-scale power sources have enabled far-reaching advancements in wearable electronics that has ultimately stimulated development with high voltage output and exceptional integration.
- Stretchable supercapacitors are the semiconductor components available in the market with innovative technology for energy storage devices. These stretchable supercapacitors have high voltage output with excellent mechanical strength. The products are manufactured by companies and they are highly flexible, cyclable, and durable with integration of components.
- All these features of stretchable micro-supercapacitors are newly developed and integrated technologies that are expected to offer lucrative opportunities to the market during the forecast period.
Asia Pacific to Lead the Global Market
- In terms of region, the global stretchable micro-supercapacitors market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, South America, and Middle East & Africa
- The stretchable micro-supercapacitors market in Asia Pacific is anticipated to expand at the maximum CAGR during the forecast period. This growth can be attributed to population increase, improving standards of living, and rise in development and expenditure on consumer electronics and wearable devices. Countries such as India and China are the leading textile exporters in the world. Thus, chip and stretchable micro-supercapacitor manufacturers across the region are expecting an increase in demand for stretchable electronic products.
- The stretchable micro-supercapacitors market in North America and Europe is likely to witness stagnant growth. The market in South America and Middle East & Africa is estimated to show slow growth during the forecast period.
Key Players in the Global Market
The global stretchable micro-supercapacitors market was highly fragmented in 2018. Prominent players operating in the global market are focusing on technological developments and expansion to meet the growing demand for stretchable micro-supercapacitors. Moreover, manufacturers are entering into partnerships for the development of innovative products and to gain higher profit margins.
Key players operating in the global stretchable micro-supercapacitors market include:
- Jinzhou Kaimei Power Co., Ltd.
- VINATech Co.,Ltd.
- Skeleton Technologies
- TDK Electronics
- JACOBI CARBONS GROUP
- ROHM CO., LTD.
Global Stretchable Micro-supercapacitors Market: Research Scope
Global Stretchable Micro-supercapacitors Market, by Application
- Wearable Technology
- Mobile Computing
- Health-monitoring Devices
Global Stretchable Micro-supercapacitors Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- South America
- Rest of South America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
Interested in this report?
Get a FREE Brochure now!