CMP Slurry Market
CMP Slurry Market (Product Type: Aluminum Oxide, Ceramic, Cerium Oxide, Silica, and Others; and Application: Silicon Wafers, Optical Substrates, Disk-drive Components, and Other Microelectronic Surfaces) - Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends, and Forecast, 2021-2031
Press Release :
Steady Demand for Silicon Wafers Creates Business Opportunities During COVID-19 Crisis
There is no industry that is unaffected by the COVID-19 crisis, including the CMP slurry market. Silicon wafer suppliers are facing challenges due to volatile demand and supply. Apart from mission-critical projects pertaining to medical devices, FMCG (fast moving consumer goods) and defense, other sectors are witnessing temporary shutdown for production & other operations. Companies are adopting strategic business measures in countries such as Canada, India, Brazil, and Pakistan due to the second & third wave of the pandemic.
Current restriction protocols and preventive measures being implemented are altering routine business activities in the global CMP slurry market. As such, these measures are necessary to ensure safety of employees and workers in factories & offices. Despite an expected decrease in the demand for smartphones and other gadgets, a steady demand for silicon wafers is helping to keep economies running during the coronavirus pandemic.
Request a sample to get extensive insights into the CMP Slurry Market
FCS Used for Characterization of Small Abrasive Particles in CMP Slurries
The fabrication of commercial integrated circuits depends on the physical and chemical properties of the abrasive slurry particles used to polish silicon wafer surfaces via CMP (chemical mechanical planarization) to near-atomic flatness. This has raised concern about the particle characterization challenge, which emerges from the combination of accurately sizing the nano-scale particles, while also identifying a relative few micron-scale aggregates. Hence, companies in the CMP slurry market are increasing their research in fluorescence correlation spectroscopy (FCS).
FCS is gaining prominence in particle size distribution (PSD) analysis methods, owing to its sensitivity to particles with hydrodynamic diameters in the nano-meter size range. Thus, the characterization of abrasive particles of smaller size in CMP slurries has become necessary as the feature sizes of integrated circuits steadily decrease according to Moore’s law.
To understand how our report can bring difference to your business strategy, Ask for a brochure
Improvements in Post-backgrind Wafer Polishing Services Lead to Higher Yields
Effective and safe semiconductor polishing processes are being preferred by clients in various end-use industries. Syagrus Systems - a specialist in post-fab wafer processing for semiconductors and electronics, is gaining recognition for its silicon wafer polishing services, which help to achieve high yields. There is a growing demand for post-backgrind wafer polishing services. This explains why the CMP slurry market is predicted to advance at a favorable CAGR of ~7% during the assessment period.
Companies in the CMP slurry market are gaining proficiency in wafer polishing processes suitable for dicing and is ideal for electronic applications requiring flexible circuits. They are using wafer stack support systems to polish and etch ultra-thin wafers without causing stress or damage, which helps clients to achieve higher yields.
Tungsten CMP Polishing Slurries Meet Extensive Technical Requirements of Customers
The CMP slurry market is projected to cross the revenue of US$ 2.6 Bn by 2031. CMC Materials - a global supplier of critical materials to semiconductor industry, is expanding its product portfolio in tungsten CMP polishing slurries that meet the performance requirements of all technology nodes and applications. Manufacturers are boosting their production capabilities in tungsten CMP polishing slurries made from high purity fumed silica combined with unique rate accelerating agents that help to meet international product quality standards.
Tungsten CMP polishing slurries are being produced by manufacturers in the CMP slurry market in order to meet the requirements of advanced node applications and deploy excellent removal rate. These slurries help to eliminate defectivity and topography for a wide variety of applications. On the other hand, aluminum, barrier, and copper CMP polishing slurries are being produced to meet extensive technical requirements of customers.
Two-component CMP Slurries Capable of Eliminating Surface Damaging Lapping Steps
Apart from barrier, copper and tungsten slurries, manufacturers in the CMP slurry market are boosting their output capacities in aluminum oxide and cerium oxide slurries. This is evident since aluminum oxide and cerium oxide slurries are predicted to expand at a CAGR of 7.6% and 6.9%, respectively.
Manufacturers in the CMP slurry market are unlocking revenue opportunities with silicon carbide (SiC) wafer polishing slurries. These slurries enable enhanced wafer throughput combined with excellent surface quality. SiC is emerging as the gold standard for diverse applications involving LED lighting, hybrid electric vehicles, and power electronic switches. Manufacturers are increasing the availability of two-component CMP slurries that deliver fast removal rates and establish rapid healing of sub-surface damage. These slurries have the capability to eliminate costly and surface damaging lapping steps.
Post-CMP Cleaning Solutions Help Manufacturers Gain Competitive Edge
Apart from CMP slurries, manufacturers are offering post-CMP cleaning products to gain a competitive edge over other market players. Merck Group - a German multinational science & technology company, is gaining popularity for its CMP solutions and its FLOWMASTER® CMP Chemical Delivery System, which facilitate precise delivery of post-CMP rinse chemical. Companies in the CMP slurry market are taking cues from such innovations to adopt chemical delivery systems that help to deliver the most uniform and accurate blend consistencies to the wafer.
Companies in the CMP slurry market are bolstering their production capabilities in advanced cleaning solutions that are acidic and non-fluorinated in nature. High performance post-CMP cleaning solutions are being engineered to remove trace metals, organics, and particle contaminants from copper. These solutions are being used for pad cleaning to extend pad life.
Use of Rigid Disk, Magnetic Head Slurries in High Volume Manufacturing
There is a growing demand for rigid disk and magnetic head slurries in the CMP slurry market. Manufacturers are boosting their production capabilities in these slurries to planarize glass substrates to ultra-low roughness and defects. Rigid disk and magnetic head slurries are helping the market to transition from high-density PMR disk drives to advanced MAMR/HAMR disk drives that are currently used by leading-edge disk drive customers in high volume manufacturing.
Manufacturers are boosting the availability of magnetic head slurries that are capable of polishing multiple materials in a single step. These slurries help to meet stringent surface topography and planarization requirements. Innovative CMP slurries offer multi-material polishing, tunable selectivity, and low defects. The ever-increasing demand for high computing performance is translating into incremental opportunities for CMP slurry manufacturers.
Stuck in a neck-to-neck competition with other brands? Request a custom report on CMP Slurry Market
Companies in the CMP slurry market are predicted to increase focus on consumer electronics in the post-COVID recovery period, since individuals are likely to invest in gadgets owing to the fear of travel. Innovations in new device structures are generating incremental opportunities for CMP slurry manufacturers. However, manufacturers need to address the particle characterization challenge a result of the combination of accurately sizing nano-scale particles. Thus, companies should increase their R&D in FCS analytical method to identify micron-scale aggregates. As such, manufacturers are developing copper CMP polishing slurries that provide maximum flexibility and meet specific customer integration requirements.
CMP Slurry Market: Overview
- According to Transparency Market Research’s latest research report on the global CMP slurry market for the historical period of 2017–2019 and the forecast period of 2021–2031, increasing application areas of CMP slurry, growing demand for consumer electronics products, and adoption of advanced technologies are the major factors expected to drive the global CMP slurry market during the forecast period
- The CMP slurry market is segmented based on product type and application. In terms of product type, aluminum oxide and cerium oxide are projected to expand at CAGRs of 7.68% and 6.98%, respectively, during the forecast period. The dominance of aluminum oxide is due to increasing demand for well fabricated IC and properties such as high conductivity and performance.
- Based on application, the silicon wafers segment of the CMP slurry market is set to expand at a CAGR of 7.15% from 2017 to 2031, due to increasing demand for semiconductors with high accuracy, capacity, and speed. In addition, the emergence of NGN and IoT applications have led to the exponential increase in demand for silicon wafers. These factors are fueling the expansion of the silicon wafers application segment.
- In terms of revenue, the global CMP slurry market is estimated to exceed the value of US$ 2.6 Bn by 2031, expanding at a CAGR of ~7% during the forecast period
Increasing Demand for Consumer Electronics Products: A Key Driver of CMP Slurry Market
- Rising demand for smart gadgets with high performance ICs is seen over the past few years. These smart gadgets include smartphones, tablets, and wearable devices, which have high penetration in the market. Every electronic device or equipment consists of semiconductors or microchips, and CMP slurry is an important material that is used in the processing of semiconductors.
- Furthermore, increasing demand for compact devices is creating demand for miniaturized components. In compact devices, a high-density setup is necessitating the need for compact semiconductors. Hence, CMP slurry in the production of integrated circuits has become essential.
- In addition, the increasing disposable income among consumers is fueling the demand for consumer electronics. These factors are propelling the growth of the CMP slurry market.
CMP Slurry Enabling Technology to Aid in Market Growth
- CMP is a technology, which helps chip manufacturers to take complex and critical patterning steps. This has revolutionized the processing and manufacturing of semiconductors. CMP has become a key enabler as cost reduction and scaling requirement have increased the demand for new technologies and designs. Thus, the industrial use of CMP slurry is anticipated to grow at a steady pace. These factors are fueling the growth of the CMP slurry market.
- However, factors such as high cost involved in R&D activity is hampering the market. As the products become smaller, the cost of manufacturing increases with need for research and development. This is forcing manufacturers to invest more on R&D and may hamper the growth of the CMP slurry market.
CMP Slurry Market: Competition Landscape
- Detailed profiles of providers of CMP slurry have been provided in the report to evaluate their financials, key product offerings, recent developments, and strategies
- Key players operating in the global CMP slurry market are
- Applied Materials
- Cabot Corporation
- Dongjin Semichem Co Ltd.
- Dow Chemicals
- Evonik Industries AG
- Fujimi Corporation
- Hitachi Chemical
- Samsung SDI
- Soulbrain Co., Ltd.
CMP Slurry Market: Key Developments
- Key providers of CMP slurry, such as 3M, Applied Materials, BASF, Cabot Corporation Dow Chemicals, and Evonik Industries AG are focusing on technological developments. Some other key developments in the global CMP slurry market are highlighted below:
- In 2020, Soulbrain Co., Ltd developed new poly buffering slurry. The company focuses on R&D and aims to offer electronics related chemical materials such as chemical mechanical polishing slurries to customers.
- In January 2020, Entegris acquired Sinmat for approximately US$ 75 Mn. This acquisition adds specialty CMP slurries to the company’s portfolio, and will further help Entegris to develop new products and create unique and differentiated value for its customers.
- In 2019, Fujimi Corporation established a HVM site for silicon carbide wafer polishing slurries at its Tualatin, Oregon manufacturing plant. The company has developed various alumina and silica-based polishing slurries for SiC wafer polishing. These slurries are prepared with non-acidic chemistries at neutral pH.
- In the global CMP slurry market report, we have discussed individual strategies, followed by company profiles of providers of CMP slurry. The ‘Competition Landscape’ section has been included in the report to provide readers with a dashboard view and company market share analysis of key players operating in the global CMP slurry market.
CMP Slurry Market – Scope of the Report
A new study on the global CMP slurry market is published by Transparency Market Research (TMR). It presents detailed information on key market dynamics, including drivers, trends, and challenges for the global CMP slurry market as well as its structure. TMR’s study offers valuable information on the global CMP slurry market in order to illustrate how the market is expected to expand during the forecast period i.e. 2021–2031.
Key indicators of market growth, which include value chain analysis and compound annual growth rate (CAGR), are elucidated in TMR’s study in a comprehensive manner. This data can help readers interpret the quantitative growth aspects of the global CMP slurry market.
An extensive analysis of business strategies adopted by leading market players is also featured in TMR’s study on the global CMP slurry market. This can help readers understand key factors responsible for growth of the global CMP slurry market. In this study, readers can also find specific data on avenues for qualitative and quantitative growth of the global CMP slurry. This data would guide market players in making apt decisions in the near future.
Key Questions Answered in TMR’s Study on CMP Slurry Market
- What would be the Y-o-Y growth trend of the global CMP slurry market between 2021 and 2031?
- What is the influence of changing trends on the product type segment of the global CMP slurry market?
- Would Asia Pacific continue to be the most dominant regional market for providers of CMP slurry over the next few years?
- Which factors would hinder the global CMP slurry market during the forecast period?
- Which are the leading companies operating in the global CMP slurry market?
A unique research methodology is utilized by TMR to conduct comprehensive research on the global CMP slurry market and arrive at conclusions on future growth prospects for the market. This research methodology is a combination of primary and secondary research, which helps analysts warrant the accuracy and reliability of the conclusions drawn.
Secondary research sources referred to by analysts during production of the report on the global CMP slurry market include statistics from company annual reports, SEC filings, company websites, World Bank database, investor presentations, regulatory databases, government publications, and market white papers. Analysts have also interviewed senior managers, product portfolio managers, CEOs, VPs, and market intelligence managers, who have contributed to production of TMR’s study on the global CMP slurry market as a primary research source.
These primary and secondary sources provided exclusive information during interviews, which served as a validation from leading players operating in the global CMP slurry market. Access to an extensive internal repository as well as external proprietary databases allowed this report to address specific details and questions about the global CMP slurry market with accuracy. The study also uses a top-down approach to assess the numbers for each segment and a bottom-up approach to counter-validate them. This has helped in making TMR’s estimates on future prospects for the global CMP slurry market more reliable and accurate.
CMP Slurry Market – Segmentation
TMR’s study of the global CMP slurry market segments the market based on product type, application, and region. Changing market trends and other crucial market dynamics associated with segments of the global CMP slurry market have been discussed in detail in TMR’s study.