Squeezable films market– A historical analysis
The way in which consumers perceive and interact with packaged products is a constantly evolving process, and has long influenced the packaging industry. Convenience and sustainability are two of the key focus areas for the development of new packaging products. This has led to the rise of flexible packaging format, and gradual replacement of conventional rigid packaging solutions with their flexible alternatives. The transition towards flexible packaging has led to the development of several innovating packaging formats, including squeezable variants. Squeezable packaging solutions have been adopted for food products such as cream cheese. However, the key challenge posed by squeezable packaging is to use efficient squeezable films, which possesses high flexibility and conformability. The requirement for flexible films which could cover round shapes with thin walls led to the introduction of squeezable films. Over time, squeezable films with high printability were manufactured, which could be used for a wide range of squeezable packaging formats, with tubes being the most prominent one. Furthermore, due to high printability, squeezable films are used for enhancing brand image. Therefore, they function both as a means for the brand to interact with its customers by printing important product related information, and as an enhancement to the product’s consumer-appeal. Squeezable films have been adopted as labels for flexible packaging products ranging from shampoo bottles to cans. The demand for squeezable films is expected to rise as flexible takes over rigid. Also, since squeezable films are improved upon conventional labels, they can also be used for the labelling rigid packaging formats. This provides them a significant edge over their conventional counterparts.
Global squeezable films market: Segmentation
The global squeezable films market has been segmented as follows –
On the basis of product type, the global squeezable films market has been segmented as –
On the basis of material, the global squeezable films market has been segmented as –
- Polyethylene (PE)
- Polypropylene (PP)
*The pricing for squeezable films market has been captured on the basis of material.
On the basis of application, the global squeezable films market has been segmented as –
On the basis of end use, the global squeezable films market has been segmented as –
- Food & Beverage
- Home & Personal Care
- Oral Care
Squeezable films find a wide range of usage in the food & beverage industry, especially in stand up pouches and squeeze tubes. Maximum contribution to the growth of the global squeezable films market is made by the home & personal care end use. Since oral care accounts for a significant market share, it has been considered as a separate segment instead of under home & personal care. Overall, home & personal care, combined with oral care segment account for nearly 50% of the global squeezable films market, by end use. Squeezable films are also used in pharmaceutical tubes and flexible packaging formats. The others segment considers other flexible packaging types which might use squeezable films.
Global squeezable films market: Key Players
Some of the key players operating in the global squeezable films market are – UPM Raflatac, Innovia Films, TLC Label Company, Jindal Poly Films Ltd., Cosmo Films Limited, Avery Dennison Corporation, Toray Plastics (America), Inc., and Sihl AG, among others.
Some of the companies which provide the raw materials for the production of squeezable films are - Exxon Mobil Corporation, E.I. du Pont de Nemours and Company, Plantic Technologies Ltd., and Huntsman International LLC., among others.
The global squeezable films market has evolved on the backdrop of new product innovations, and is expected to continue to grow in the same way, during the forecast period.
Key Product Launches: Squeezable Films Market
- In February 2018, Innovia Films introduced two new squeezable BOPP films – which were of a downgauged grade – to its portfolio of products. The two films are cost effective – since they are thinner, the printer gets more square meters per reel, thereby reducing the number of reels required by up to 60 per cent. Therefore, the number of pallets and storage space required is essentially reduced by half. Therefore, the squeezable films require less packaging and reel handling costs. The new squeezable labels also weigh less than conventional alternatives, which translates to reduced carbon footprint during transport and logistics.
- In February 2018, UPM Raflatac launched a new white plant-based squeezable PE film for squeezable bottles. The films are ideal for bottles and contoured containers, used for home and personal care products. The new PE film comprises more than 80% renewable plant-based raw material, and can be recycled as fossil-based PE. The objective was to cater to the growing demand for labeling solutions for wall-to-wall squeezable packaging formats, emphasizing on the ability to withstand repeated squeezes.
- In October 2017, Sihl AG introduced a new squeezable film, which is a white polyolefin film, with a top coating for aqueous inkjet printing. It is mostly used for labeling of PE containers and bottles.
Future Prospects: Squeezable Films Market
Increasing preference for flexible packaging solutions is expected to lead to greater demand for packaging formats such as squeeze tubes. How one manufacturer differentiates his products from his counterparts depends on the convenience factor. For high consumer acceptance, the design has to be easy to handle, and the overall package should possess high consumer appeal. Therefore, consumer engagement strategies of brands will play a key role in deciding who comes out on top. Flexible labels and films which can withstand the stresses due to repeated squeezing will have more preference from brands. Therefore, the outlook for the growth of the global squeezable films market is expected to remain positive, during the forecast period.
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.